PDA

View Full Version : Wiring cable modem help - spaghetti city !

jbrennand
09-05-2007, 23:02
Before I call for the cavalry, can anyone help me wire up a cable modem.

I currently have a V+ box, a Samsung box & a Pace box in different rooms. I have 2MB broadband working perfectly via the Samsung STB modem. I am now on the package with 10MB but the STB can't handle it so I have received the Virgin cable modem box full of tricks - very quick and efficient delivery - well done Virgin. Unfortunately, although the wiring instructions are very clear, my wiring is odd - I think because the "wall box" is not fixed to a wall (and I have the external ariel looped through).

So, what I see is two black cables coming through the wall. One goes into a loose lying wall box. There is a cable from the other end of that wall box going to the single port on a 1:2 splitter box. The other black wire goes to one of the ports on the 2 side of the splitter box. The final splitter port is wired to the port in the middle of the STB. Thers a normal SCART connection.

So, should this splitter box be an integral part of the innards of the wall box and it has just dropped out as it isn't fixed ? Or is it something else added later (why?). If it should be in the box, can I just reassemble it properly and follow the instructions for wiring the new cable modem (including the "new" splitter box for the modem)?

Will the external ariel "loop through" still work ? I may pull those 2 cables anyway as the reason I wanted that 4 years ago has gone away (don't need teletext) and it's getting like spaghetti junction back there.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks John.

Quam256
10-05-2007, 07:49
can you describe the box that has come of the wall ,does the two connections have TV and FM marked next to them or on the cover .?

jbrennand
10-05-2007, 19:04
can you describe the box that has come of the wall ,does the two connections have TV and FM marked next to them or on the cover .?

The wall box looks to me exactly like the wall box in the other room - white plastic thingamabob. It has never been fixed to the wall (Artex !!). It has an input from one of the the wall cables and 2 output sockets, one connected to the splitter the other is unused.

The splitter box is silver with red trim, marked "3-way splitter", and labelled QAMTF and the sockets are labeled "in" (goes to wall box) and the other two are both marked "3.5 db". (some kind of attenuator ?) one connected to the other wall cable and the other to the STB.

Cheers John