PDA

View Full Version : 2 BT Master Socket on one cable

salmanhamid
09-05-2007, 18:04
Hi Guys,

I have got my master socket in my front room, so there is no way from there I can run an extention to the bedroom however for me its easier to run a cable from my loft to the bedroom.

The BT main cable comes directly to my loft and there I have got small junction box and from junction box I have got a cable going to front room, so my question is can I run 2 cables from my loft (from junction box) one to front room and one to bedroom and put 2 BT master sockets ?

Many thanks
Salman

bonzoe
09-05-2007, 18:53
What's this doing in a forum related to Virgin Media issues? Suggest you ask someone from BT.

Sirpingalot
09-05-2007, 18:57
I suggest you direct your query to the relavent forum. And with regards to your question, I can't help, sorry.

ecksmen
09-05-2007, 19:11
Hi Guys,

I have got my master socket in my front room, so there is no way from there I can run an extention to the bedroom however for me its easier to run a cable from my loft to the bedroom.

The BT main cable comes directly to my loft and there I have got small junction box and from junction box I have got a cable going to front room, so my question is can I run 2 cables from my loft (from junction box) one to front room and one to bedroom and put 2 BT master sockets ?

Many thanks
Salman

I used to work in tech support for DSL and I'd always advise in situations like this to not touch BT wiring. Up untill the mast socket BT will sort out any problems. So, if you get disconnections, loss of sync etc.. they'll test from the master socket, installed by BT. They wont test from extensions installed else where. Also, bad cabling will give you a whole lota trouble.

The best thing to do will be to buy a wireless adsl router. They don't cost much and will be fair easier to do than to bother with doing a new PSTN extension.

All you'll need is a power socket near the mast socket - you plug all the router into that, it'll maintain you connection and give you more protection from the built in NAT and firewall. Then you can have a wireless USB or PCI (internal card) in the computer and wirelessely get the internet. Very handy if you decide to move the computer else where, or for a second machine, or games consol. Routers are dirt cheap these days and will often give you a free usb wireless dongle.