PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problems

karlywarly
09-05-2007, 15:52
Hi all,
My internet seems to stop working many times a day and i result in rebooting my modem and router, after doing this it works fine until not long after having to do this process again. I have looked in my modem event log and i seem to be getting many critical errors such as:
DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received

Im on the 20mb Bradband package with an ntl 250 cable modem and a Linksys WRT54g Router V5 if that helps

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance:)

Paul K
09-05-2007, 16:57
Does it happen if you direct connect to the modem without the router?

karlywarly
09-05-2007, 23:14
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply, i have connected the the pc directly to the modem and it hasnt lost the connection. The modem has stopped displaying the DHCP errors but is now displaying:
Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received

Is this anything to worry about or is it just nothing? im thinking i have just got this error straight after i connected the pc directly to the modem?

Also do you know why i was getting this error? DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Could it be because i have manually assigned all computers an ip address and not used the built in DHCP in the router?:)

Doofy
09-05-2007, 23:19
I have had this problem on and off for days now i thought it was VMs fault a lot of people in the area seemed to be suffering. Eventually tracked it down to my router Linksys wrt or more to the point a setting in the custom firmware i flashed it with..

sstainer
09-05-2007, 23:22
i too get those errors but it has never effected my speed or broadband so IMO dont worry to much about them mabe take another look at
http://192.168.100.1/

and check power levels and the snr as to what is the best i expect others know more

example mine says

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 31.4 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

have found this little program useful also
http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

karlywarly
09-05-2007, 23:39
Doofy
I havent flashed my router with a custom firmware im pressuming you are talking about a 3rd party firmware? i did flash it correctly with the latest available firmware around 3-4 weeks ago

sstainer
I have the same downstream information as you but my downstream reciever power level is currently on -11.9dbmv and my downstream SNR is on 31.2db

I also have the same upstream information as you but my upstream transmit power level is currently on 58.3dbmv
The only i im quite concerned about now is my downstream recieve power level at -11.9dbmv as it is a big difference to yours