PDA

View Full Version : Non dynamic ip?

garrettfromtheci
09-05-2007, 01:55
Hi, being a virgin media customer i read that my ip would be dynamic. But it has stayed the same since i got virgin broadband a few months ago. For some reason my ip is banned from quite a few sites i've never visited before. Is there a way to make my ip address dynamic?

-Thanks in advance:)

mocara
09-05-2007, 02:02
You could try turning off your connection for 72hrs. The DHCP may release your IP to another user, but I've found you keep the IP for as long as you have the connection. So how come you were banned? Presumably you are unwelcome.

garrettfromtheci
09-05-2007, 02:06
I think it may have been whoever had the ip before me who got the ip banned. I've tried turing it off for over 4 days with no luck.

Steve-o||[^]
09-05-2007, 02:32
banned from a website: are you using a proxy? if so, some sites (dnsstuff.com before it got re-vamped blacklisted NTL Proxies...which was very annoying, indeed).

there`s a HL/HL2 forum I`m supposedly banned from....even though that was the first time I had visited it! this has since been resolved as I`m no-longer going through a proxy \n/,

Dynamic IP: what I`ve found in my 4/5 years of being an ntl bb user is that you have the IP for ages and ages. I once had an IP for almost a year! then my modem packed in and I got a new one. I`ve also found that if you power-cycle your modem after connecting it to another machine it`ll release and renew the DHCP Lease (ie. plug modem from router to pc, or vice-versa).

also, you may want to issue an ipconfig /release (windows) or [can`t remember the nix cmd atm] if you have it connected to your PC before cycling it - or if your router has a 'DHCP release' function use that!

garrettfromtheci
09-05-2007, 04:06
I'll give ipconfig/release a try. I'm not using a router, just have the cable modem plugged into the ethernet port. What is power-cycle? I read in this wikipedia article that it might have something to do with ntl's use of proxy servers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapidShare

Steve-o||[^]
09-05-2007, 20:25
I'll give ipconfig/release a try. I'm not using a router, just have the cable modem plugged into the ethernet port. What is power-cycle? I read in this wikipedia article that it might have something to do with ntl's use of proxy servers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapidShare

oh yeah..rapidshare seriously dis-likes proxy users for the free service because it logs usage on an IP basis. therefore once a fellow proxied user uses that free bandwidth that`s it!