PDA

View Full Version : John Lewis.com sucks big time.

iadom
08-05-2007, 20:44
Until the past few days I always had positive vibes about John Lewis compared to Comet/Currys et al, not anymore.

I ordered a new 42" Panasonic plasma TV & stand online on the 23 April, they sent a confirmation e-mail on the 24th which stated, ' the card number given will not be charged until the goods leave the warehouse'. They also promised to contact me to arrange delivery.

The following day I was contacted by mobile phone at 9.30am by a gentleman and a delivery date of Saturday 5th April between 7.00am:shocked: and 3.30 pm was agreed. When I checked my e-mails at lunchtime I had another one from a woman saying that she had tried to ring me to book a delivery time but was unable to do so, but if it was OK by me they would deliver on the 5th April between 7.00am & 3.30pm, this e-mail was timed at 10.45am.

I suppose that should have set the alarm bells ringing but I replied to that message explaining that I had already agreed to that date & time, I received another e-mail to confirm that date was OK.

As I am self employed and do a fair bit of work on Saturdays as well as all week, I rebooked my Saturday calls for the Bank Holiday Monday. I rose early on Saturday morning and spent a couple of hours lugging out the old ( very heavy ) TV & stand and wiring up a complete new surround sound system. When the hour of 3.30pm arrived and the delivery from John Lewis hadn't I phoned their CS department. The lady I spoke to confirmed that all me delivery details were correct and she put me on hold to check on the progress of same. I listened to three full Beatles songs playing in the background and then she returned to tell me that the dispatch warehouse had no record of my order.:(

I am a very placid man by nature and it was not her fault so it was agreed that someone would phone me ASAP this morning. I waited until 10.00 am and rang them myself.
I got lots of apologies and was told that they would ring me later with a new delivery date as they had a backlog due to the bank holiday. When the did ring back the earliest date they could offer me was next Monday between 7.00am & 4.30pm. :mad:

I somewhat reluctantly accepted this, wondering how I was going to manage to take another full day off work when the post arrived. I opened my Barclaycard statement to find that they had charged my account on the 25th April, a full ten days before they 'forgot' to send me the damned goods.

That was the last straw, I phoned and cancelled the order, did a quick ring round and found that although my local Curry's had no stock the one in Rochdale had 2. Popped down later this afternoon, bought TV & stand for just over £100 more than the John Lewis price, I took the stand home so that I could assemble it and get my new hifi system off the floor and they are delivering the TV tomorrow between 12.00 & 2.00pm.:)

I will just have to monitor my card closely to make sure they don't cock that up, I have already had an e-mail confirming the cancellation which also states,
'I'd also like to assure you that no charge has been passed to your account in relation to this order'.

A bit bloody late for that methinks.:disturbd:

Jim.

Paul K
08-05-2007, 20:57
Contact the card provider and tell them payment has been taken in error from your card since they state on the email that payment is not taken prior to dispatch. I take it JL are saying the money will be paid back in X days time.

Osem
08-05-2007, 21:06
Sounds like an almighty cock-up but I'd put my money on John Lewis as opposed to Currys every time. In fact I'd wager that if you write to the company setting out the problems you've experienced and inconvenience you've suffered you could well receive some compensation.

Had a minor problem with a TV I bought from Currys a while back. After several attempts I got through to their 'customer services' and explained the problem only to be told I'd be given a reference number and would need to contact another department to arrange service. Tried this number umpteen times over several days but never managed to get through and gave up in the end. They were totally and utterly useless!

http://www.ciao.co.uk/currys_co_uk__5154936
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/05/20/never_ever_buy_anything/
http://www.clik2complaints.co.uk/DPs/currys6.html
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/maxiMerchantReviews~100410713
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/currys-dixons/

Chris
08-05-2007, 21:10
Email somebody senior at John Lewis and link to this thread. They are an employee-owned co-operative so they ought to give a damn about this.

iadom
08-05-2007, 21:13
I take it JL are saying the money will be paid back in X days time.

Yep, within seven days, account not due to be paid until the 29th so hopefully they will have sorted it before then. I was a bit miffed when I found the web price had gone down by £100 a few days after I placed the order and at my suggestion they did agree to refund this after the broken appointment, that was before I was told I would have to wait another week for delivery and also before I found out they had already charged my card.

Jim.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Email somebody senior at John Lewis and link to this thread. They are an employee-owned co-operative so they ought to give a damn about this.

Know anyone Chris ?

Jim.

Osem
08-05-2007, 21:29
How about starting here:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Help/Help.aspx?HelpId=4

I'd be astonished if you don't get a very satisfactory result.

SMHarman
08-05-2007, 21:40
I would too, they were very good to me when they turned the delivery and installation of a 32in WS CRT into a case of bringing a huge cardboard box with the TV in and dumping it on the hall floor.

Very frustrating, could not move the thing or get round it grr.

iadom
09-05-2007, 00:07
Thanks for the links, I have had several e-mails from customer services, all very polite, apologetic and generally sound, it does not negate the fact that after admitting they had made a mistake they could not promise a delivery date sooner than eight days after the broken appointment. They have stock, they have the transport, it would have been delivered from the Trafford Park store in all likelihood, a 45 minute drive from my house at the most. It should have been a number one priority to rectify this mistake and deliver the items today, not next Monday.

I will post a message following the links above, however there is nothing I have posted here that I have not already put in my e-mails to them. As long as the funds are returned to my account I will be happy, I don't want concessions or compensation, goods in lieu or anything like that. I just want good old fashioned service of the type that I strive to give my customers.

Jim.

Mr Angry
09-05-2007, 00:22
Lesson 1: Never, ever do business with a firm that makes you listen to Beatles tracks!!

SMHarman
09-05-2007, 00:28
Lesson 1: Never, ever do business with a firm that makes you listen to Beatles tracks!!What was it? 8 days a week? Perhaps that was what was messing their scheduling up!

iadom
09-05-2007, 01:11
You are talking to a long time Beatles( old, I was there at the time) fan here, I have a full set of original Mono LP's, EP's & singles (45's) that are slowly but surely increasing in value, its a long time since I was on hold and not over bothered if they came back to me.:cool:

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

What was it? 8 days a week? Perhaps that was what was messing their scheduling up!

Very good, a track from the Beatles for Sale LP, also released as a single in the USA.

Jim.

Damien
09-05-2007, 01:15
Beatles are awesome, no knocking of the beatles is allowed.

Osem
09-05-2007, 08:48
Anyone - company or individual - can make a mistake. The mark of a good company is how quickly they a) accept they've done it and b) resolve an issue. Beatles tracks aside, John Lewis have always been up there with the best of the bunch when it comes to both.

Mr Angry
09-05-2007, 10:17
You are talking to a long time Beatles( old, I was there at the time) fan here, I have a full set of original Mono LP's, EP's & singles (45's) that are slowly but surely increasing in value, its a long time since I was on hold and not over bothered if they came back to me.:cool:

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

Very good, a track from the Beatles for Sale LP, also released as a single in the USA.

Jim.

Each to their own I suppose.

I've an original Polygram first pressing matrix number copy of Sgt Peppers, complete with cut out card, that I don't think has ever soiled my system.

It's one of my collection which the angryites will benefit from when I eventually pass on.

Osem
09-05-2007, 11:20

It's one of my collection which the angryites will benefit from when I eventually pass on.

That's of course providing HMRC doesn't grab them in respect of IHT :(

SMHarman
09-05-2007, 16:08
That's of course providing HMRC doesn't grab them in respect of IHT :(Don't you realise he 'gifted' the record colection to the angryites 7 years ago. Unlike a house, car, boat, there is no deed of title so even HMRC don't have much of a leg to stand on when you argue this.

danielf
09-05-2007, 16:55

I've an original Polygram first pressing matrix number copy of Sgt Peppers, complete with cut out card, that I don't think has ever soiled my system.

I guess that answers the question of what music will be played at your funeral? ;)

Osem
09-05-2007, 19:20
Don't you realise he 'gifted' the record colection to the angryites 7 years ago. Unlike a house, car, boat, there is no deed of title so even HMRC don't have much of a leg to stand on when you argue this.

Well that could of course be entirely true especially since Mr Angry is clearly a gentleman of outstanding generosity :) However HMRC has a notoriously finely honed set of tentacles and the nose of a blood hound when it comes to sniffing out hard earned cash/assets which amout to more than a hill of beans! Some say they've been known to want their cake and eat it and either interpret the rules to suit themselves or play the grabbit and run game with loaded dice. I couldn't possibly comment on that though ;)

Mr Angry
09-05-2007, 20:00
"outstsanding generosity". How I laughed!

It's the least I could do for them having made them spend their formative years cleaning chimneys.

Osem
10-05-2007, 10:01
They were lucky.... our kids were cleaning out weaving looms before they were weaned - sweeping chimneys was a concession for good behaviour :D

revimjolly
26-09-2008, 21:10
i workedforjohn lewisdirect this i outsource company who treat there staff unfairly and pay poor wages and dont get any john lewis benefits...john lewis offer you saturday delivery but in certain area they dont deliver there and will glady apologise and refund yuo the charges for named day delivery as long as you dont cancel the order they make money

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

did you know someone hacked into their data base and send thousands of emails out

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-09-2008, 23:01
i workedforjohn lewisdirect this i outsource company who treat there staff unfairly and pay poor wages and dont get any john lewis benefits...john lewis offer you saturday delivery but in certain area they dont deliver there and will glady apologise and refund yuo the charges for named day delivery as long as you dont cancel the order they make money

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

did you know someone hacked into their data base and send thousands of emails out

We know your opinion, your only other post was here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33636383-john-lewis-direct.html

Why drag up a thread that hasnt been used for 16 months?

iadom
26-09-2008, 23:29
Yikes, a blast from the past.

Have to say that my 42" Panny from Curry's is working fine, I love it.:cool:

And you can say what you like but my treatment and service from JL at the time was shabby in the extreme.

Still, all water under the bridge.:)

Jim.

maddyp
28-09-2008, 00:38
8 days a week//lol i only just got that !

Diver 2007
24-07-2009, 09:39
Is there money in boxing?
Well John Lewis seem to think so, I was in their Oxford Street branch just yesterday looking for a new frying pan (have just re-fitted my kitchen with a Induction hob, so the old pans wouldn't work on the new hob), anyway back to the frying pan.....hunted around for what I wanted and finally found a 20cm Le Creuset shallow frying pan, the very nicely printed label sitting amongst the range showed a price of £29.00 for the said pan......great I thought I'll have that, proceded to the payment area and got served, just about to key in my card pin number when I noticed the price was showing £44.00, I queried this with the girl on the till to be told that £44.00 was the price, I mentioned the fact that the price label on the stand quoted £29.00, only to be told that the £29.00 price was for the 'Try Me' pan..! I enquired what the the difference was between the one I had in my hand and the 'Try Me' one?........now comes the really good bit...... The 'Try Me' one she replied "doesn't come in a box"...!
I asked "are you serious" "are you telling me that you are charging £16.00 for the box the pan comes in", the answer was a very embarrassed "yes".
I then asked for a pan without the box and save my self £16.00 only to be told they didn't have any, then suggested they take the one in the box out and charge me the £29.00, this couldn't be done either, stalemate...!
After talking to the floor manager, it was found that the 'Try Me' special offer as they called it finished some 133 days earlier, it was pointed out that nowhere on the display stand did it mention any special offer, they tried to say it was Le Creuset problem in displaying the wrong prices, again it was pointed out that all the price tags and labels had the John Lewis logo on them, so as far as I was concerned the price advertised was the price to pay.
After a lot of bickering they conceeded to sell at the displayed price...!

The moral of this story to all you John Lewis customers is:

Firstly see if by not having the boxes the goods come in you can save a fortune.

Secondly always check the pricing on the display stand and on the products.

And stand your ground and don't let them wear you down.

Finally the answer to my question, Is there money in boxing?

Well according to John Lewis there is BIG TIME!

iadom
27-11-2014, 19:19
Well, after nearly 8 years of excellent service it's time to replace my 42" Panny plasma TV. A thin vertical line down the screen for past few months rendering it BER.

Getting a new Sony Bravia KD49X8505

Why drag up am old thread I hear you ask.:)

As I stated in the very first post in this thread I have always had positive vibes re John Lewis, I have dealt with them many times since that debacle in 2007 without any problems.

Yes you've guessed it, the new TV is (hopefully) coming from John Lewis tomorrow between 7.00am and 2.00pm.

They did promise to send me a text message the day before to confirm delivery, this has not yet arrived so as you can imagine my fingers are well and truly crossed for the morrow.:angel:

Jim.

joglynne
27-11-2014, 20:11
We had our new TV delivered by John Lewis earlier this year and all went as planned.

So fingers crossed and positive vibes sent up the motorway to you Jim.

iadom
28-11-2014, 14:42
talk about cutting it fine.....

I was up at 6.45am as delivery was timed for between 7.00am and 2.00pm.

I was starting to compose my second John Lewis rant until just now when I received a phone call to say they would be here within half an hour. PHEW. :cool:

joglynne
28-11-2014, 16:11
talk about cutting it fine.....

I was up at 6.45am as delivery was timed for between 7.00am and 2.00pm.

I was starting to compose my second John Lewis rant until just now when I received a phone call to say they would be here within half an hour. PHEW. :cool:

As you haven't been back to rant I assume that they did arrive within the half hour and that you are now playing with your new toy. :D

iadom
28-11-2014, 19:34
:D

I'm glad they did phone just before arriving, had they driven up without letting me know I would have been locking all the doors as fast as I could.

Drove up in an old, large white unmarked transit van, two lads who to be polite looked a bit scruffy. If you didn't know who it was and saw them driving past at night you would be tempted to ring the police.:shocked:

Both very pleasant lads all the same, just need to sort out a sound sync problem now but well impressed so far.:cool:

joglynne
28-11-2014, 19:42
Always nice when things go to plan. I am sure you will have the TV sorted soon. :tu: