PDA

View Full Version : BT land line not working

oxocubes
08-05-2007, 18:28
Have three phones in house realised yesterday none of them working, completely dead, but broadband is ok. If I dial my home number I get the ringing tone but the phones don't ring.
So today I have replaced the master phone socket, and guess what, made no difference.
Any ideas much appreciated - thanks

papa smurf
08-05-2007, 18:30
Have three phones in house realised yesterday none of them working, completely dead, but broadband is ok. If I dial my home number I get the ringing tone but the phones don't ring.
So today I have replaced the master phone socket, and guess what, made no difference.
Any ideas much appreciated - thanks

call bt

marky
08-05-2007, 18:38
Yup, contact BT, it sounds like you have been cut off.

And before anybody says it, i was bt and the internet still worked for 3 months after i ended with them, even though the phone was dead :shrug:

Tezcatlipoca
08-05-2007, 22:01
Moved to "Other Telco Services Discussion"

dragon
08-05-2007, 22:17
Yup, contact BT, it sounds like you have been cut off.

And before anybody says it, i was bt and the internet still worked for 3 months after i ended with them, even though the phone was dead :shrug:

Or theres a line fault.

I'd say if the broadband is working (assuming you have ADSL broadband) its probably in the exchange but thats just a guess.

You need to raise a fault with BT.

MadGamer
13-05-2007, 20:05
Use this: https://www2.bt.com/btPortal/application;JSESSIONID_btPortalWebApp=GHhkTCz0JSoN S6jEuV11OQTwB3y32Jv1fJPKRonhSnT1oSvI1ank!195974866 3?origin=ftpd_hub_page.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=ftpd_hub&portletid=ftpd_hub&portletns=ftpd_hub&wfevent=event.fp_start_fp_webflow&com.bea.event.type=linkclick&oLDesc=faultPlacementDsc&oSiteArea=con.mya&oPJsp=ftpd_hub_page.jsp&oPt=ftpd_hub&oLName=faultPlacementParams&oOJsp=&oPg=ftpd_hub&siteArea=con.mya

Paul K
13-05-2007, 20:11
Remove all but one phone from the line and try again. Then try each phone one at a time on the line with nothing else at all plugged in. Do you have a master socket? It should be the first socket on your line as it enters the property and should have a horizontal line across the middle of it. You can unscrew the bottom half of the face plate and plug into the test socket.
Looks like this (http://www.zensupport.co.uk/KBResources/Images/Telephone_wiring/bt_master_socket_2.jpg) but probably cleaner ;) Oh and check BTs site out as you can run basic line tests from it.
(Use the link in Wayne's post)

Creative
13-05-2007, 21:05
Theres an online BT line test. However from experience I'd call BT. They test the line, and you get the result there and then. I found my line dead (and DSL) last month, called and they'd fixed it within 24hrs.

Paul K
13-05-2007, 21:13
Actually the system runs the test more often than not before you speak to anyone, especially if you use the "press 1 for" menu system, the online test is the one in Wayne's link and it gives the same sort of basic test info that the support person will see when you call in and your details hit the screen.

Creative
13-05-2007, 21:27
Actually the system runs the test more often than not before you speak to anyone, especially if you use the "press 1 for" menu system, the online test is the one in Wayne's link and it gives the same sort of basic test info that the support person will see when you call in and your details hit the screen.

I was still waiting for the online results when I phoned and they got results within 20 secs.

Paul K
13-05-2007, 21:35
Yep because the internal systems have more hardware and can get the job done without queueing ;) The OP can run the tests tonight but calling BT tonight is not really an option.

Creative
13-05-2007, 21:48
Yep because the internal systems have more hardware and can get the job done without queueing ;) The OP can run the tests tonight but calling BT tonight is not really an option.
Admittedly the call would be a lot easier if the phones were working (;)), but does the online check enable you to set up diverts to a mobile phone (I've not checked)?
I still had no results from the line check 40 minutes after I'd tried it online.

Paul K
13-05-2007, 21:57
Don't think you can do anything other than raise a fault through it. Free diverts etc are normally only offered on business lines but sometimes you can swing them. Depending on how busy the test server is it can take several hours to get a response back.

Creative
13-05-2007, 22:14
Don't think you can do anything other than raise a fault through it. Free diverts etc are normally only offered on business lines but sometimes you can swing them. Depending on how busy the test server is it can take several hours to get a response back.

As soon as the line test showed my line was faulty, they asked me for a mobile number for free diverts, no pressure from me. They then also sent me text messages to let me know what was happening. The assigned engineer phoned to say he was looking at the fault, and he phoned and texted to say he'd found the fault. As I said less than 24hrs reported to fixed.

Paul K
13-05-2007, 22:23
Diverts depend on the fault, I know in Business we always put the option out there to callers. Text messages are also a standard option if the caller wishes to be kept informed of any developments.