PDA

View Full Version : This service is ******

hanzo
07-05-2007, 18:16
I pay for 10meg & dont get 10meg

:mad: :mad:

download speeds are Edit - Derek S : No need for swearing for a 10meg connection & upload speeds suck @ just 40kb..

anyone know if there is a better service than this virgin media crap ?

alferret
07-05-2007, 18:20
Hi and Welcome :)

I guess then your joining the list of those that wanna leave then?

Paul H
07-05-2007, 18:22
Welcome newbie! :welcome:

Virgin is great. you won't find a better service :)

hanzo
07-05-2007, 18:24
Hi and Welcome :)

I guess then your joining the list of those that wanna leave then?

thanks for the welcome.. lol

yeah this service just seems to get worse, i really need to find a better one.

i need something without download limits..

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

wont find a better service..?

there must be something better than this..:Yikes: ;)

papa smurf
07-05-2007, 18:24
I pay for 10meg & dont get 10meg

:mad: :mad:

download speeds are bull**** for a 10meg connection & upload speeds suck @ just 40kb..

anyone know if there is a better service than this virgin media crap ?

its probably the best of the currently available crap

TheNorm
07-05-2007, 18:27
...i need something without download limits..

Need? What, for medical reasons?

Sneck
07-05-2007, 18:29
When VM works, it really works well, but when it goes wrong you might as well not have it.

Bill C
07-05-2007, 18:30
First you need to understand that the only other option is ADSL.

Next go HERE (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php) Put your post code in and see how far you are from the BT exchange and what companys offer broadband.

If you are more than 3 KM from the exchange then dont expect very good speeds.

If you are less than 3 KM you might be ok.

Then check which offers what you want and then you will need to get a BT line and sign up with them.

This is what i would be able to get

BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Warrington telephone exchange.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/14.gifADSL is available in your areahttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/14.gif
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL
You are approximately 1.53km from the exchange (straight line distance).

alferret
07-05-2007, 18:36
Next go HERE (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php) Put your post code in and see how far you are from the BT exchange and what companys offer broadband.

Didnt realise I was so far from my exchange, 2.9k straight line distance.

Guess that if I ever wanted to go wires, dial-up would be the better option ;)

Good link that Bill, Thanks :tu:

You are connected to the Mansfield telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL

Sneck
07-05-2007, 18:37
Thanks for the link to that little widget, just found out I'm only 500metres away from my local exchange, might be worth me looking into that as I'm getting fed up with VM

Bill C
07-05-2007, 18:39
Didnt realise I was so far from my exchange, 2.9k straight line distance.

Guess that if I ever wanted to go wires, dial-up would be the better option ;)

Good link that Bill, Thanks :tu:

What you have to remember is that a straight line is what it says. I have a total of 2.4 km of copper between me and the Stanley street exchange in Warrington But what made it even worse was that the main copper pairs from The exchange to the local DP are in fact the cheaper aluminum variety, That attenuates the signal even more and was the primary reason why my adsl was so bad when i had UKonline. :(

Yeeeaaahhhh
07-05-2007, 18:40
Hmm, i am 1.73km from my local exchange and can only receive 4mbps or greater....what a difference .2 makes:D

Anyways, i am getting 20mbps, well soon enough, for £17.50 a month....so regardless of shaping i am getting a good deal. The more people leave the better the contention is for the rest of us.

hanzo
07-05-2007, 18:42
So lemme get this straight, i pay for 10meg, so i should get what i pay for right ? (of course i should get what i pay for)

I just read some crap about if i download too much at certain times my conncetion will be messed with & limited to ****ty speeds so its fair for everyone else on the network.. :mad:

Well i dont pay for everybody elses connection so how is it fair...

we are being ripped off by VM... :td:

Paul
07-05-2007, 18:45
So lemme get this straight, i pay for 10meg, so i should get what i pay for right ? (of course i should get what i pay for)No, you pay for upto 10meg, it's neither fixed or guaranteed.

Bill C
07-05-2007, 18:47
No, you pay for upto 10meg, it's neither fixed or guaranteed.

Bet you end up doing this tonight :banghead:, I predict this thread will go that way :)

hanzo
07-05-2007, 18:47

so with all the bad connections, i might aswell be put back on 1MEG & pay less & get the same service as i am currently receiving..

basically im paying more than i need to to get the connection i have.

AntiSilence
07-05-2007, 18:48

How many times does this need to be said?! ;) :rolleyes:

Paul
07-05-2007, 18:51
so with all the bad connections, i might aswell be put back on 1MEG & pay less & get the same service as i am currently receiving..Yes, that is a choice you have if you don't think you are going to get the full speed.

DishTheDirt
07-05-2007, 19:21

Sorry, but that's a load of crap, I am on the 10mbit connection, I don't pay for "up to 10mbit", if I was receiving only 1mbit speeds and paying for 10mbit I would cancel the account. Virgin Media have an obligation, as does any other business, to deliver an acceptable level of service whatever amount is being paid. I do not consider a limit of 3GB and a penalty of getting a 5mbit connection as acceptable service.

NTLVictim
07-05-2007, 19:30
Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum, there's a whiff of "T" in my filtrum...:D

alferret
07-05-2007, 19:33
Sorry, but that's a load of crap, I am on the 10mbit connection, I don't pay for "up to 10mbit", if I was receiving only 1mbit speeds and paying for 10mbit I would cancel the account. Virgin Media have an obligation, as does any other business, to deliver an acceptable level of service whatever amount is being paid. I do not consider a limit of 3GB and a penalty of getting a 5mbit connection as acceptable service.

Ahhhh welcome to the forums n00b :)
I can feel a call to retentions coming on even though VM clearly state its an up-to service you pay for :dozey:

Paul K
07-05-2007, 19:34
Has the OP actually contacted faults on this or is he just posting for the sake of making noise? Personally I'm getting the idea that someone here doesn't realise that all providers have AUPs in one form of another and since someone mentioned Bulldog all I can say is lolololololol you have to be kidding, if you think NTL are bad then you would be suprised to hear that Bulldog/ Pipex make them look competent in most respects.

wwe
07-05-2007, 19:35

its true virgin is the best

on in an hour!
07-05-2007, 19:35

Then check which offers what you want and then you will need to get a BT line and sign up with them.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/14.gifADSL is available in your areahttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/14.gif
According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

bill,is this bill whos just gone working for business??? this is thisy.:)

starsailor123uk
07-05-2007, 19:37
So lemme get this straight, i pay for 10meg, so i should get what i pay for right ? (of course i should get what i pay for)

I just read some crap about if i download too much at certain times my conncetion will be messed with & limited to ****ty speeds so its fair for everyone else on the network.. :mad:

No Just applying the fait usage policy which is also found on BT / Sky / Be and others. The exception is that this one is spelled out and the others are not. By most posting on the net ASDL is not consistent for the majority of users so traffic shaping would be probably put down to other issues. Be does appear to be an exception but they are restrictive i who they offer services to (if you are x miles away from the exchange They dont do it)

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Then the options are out there with ASDL.

Bill C
07-05-2007, 19:38
Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum, there's a whiff of "T" in my filtrum...:D

Carefull.

If you say the T word you will get a infraction. ;)

Paul K
07-05-2007, 19:40
There are several "T" words that can be used to describe a number of posters that have recently arrived/ start posting. Most of them would definately get an infraction lol

Bill C
07-05-2007, 19:42
bill,is this bill whos just gone working for business??? this is thisy.:)

thisy m8 long time. :tu: nice to see someone with your knowledge on here.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

There are several "T" words that can be used to describe a number of posters that have recently arrived/ start posting. Most of them would definately get an infraction lol

I know one that will from personal experience :LOL:

on in an hour!
07-05-2007, 19:44
thisy m8 long time. :tu: nice to see someone with your knowledge on here.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

I know one that will from personal experience :LOL:
youre having a laugh arent you bill...youve forgotten more than i'll ever know my mate!!!! ;)

Mick
07-05-2007, 19:44
Sorry, but that's a load of crap, I am on the 10mbit connection, I don't pay for "up to 10mbit"

I am afraid it isn't a 'load of crap' - Please show me where it says you are *guaranteed* a constant 10Mb service in VM's Terms and Conditions or anywhere on the VM sites.

Bill C
07-05-2007, 19:48
youre having a laugh arent you bill...youve forgotten more than i'll ever know my mate!!!! ;)

check your pm's ;)

homealone
07-05-2007, 19:49

whatever your opinion, you are paying for a contended service that will provide up to 10Mb/s.

You are correct regarding the expectation of an 'acceptable' service, but VM do not have QOS agreements for domestic accounts to define what constitutes 'acceptable'..

dcclanuk
07-05-2007, 19:56
hmm...

You are approximately 846 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

You are connected to the Wembley (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=LWWEM) telephone exchange.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/14.gifADSL is available in your areahttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/14.gifYour exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 6Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Sirpingalot
07-05-2007, 21:22
Surprisingly, I'm actually just 250 metres from our local exchange. Not considering moving though...not after the appauling service I recieved from Tiscali. No way.

Paul H
07-05-2007, 21:24
Surprisingly, I'm actually just 250 metres from our local exchange. Not considering moving though...not after the appauling service I recieved from Tiscali. No way.

You can't get any worse than Tiscali. what others are available where you are?

Pedro1
07-05-2007, 21:37
Best to stick to digital providers. BT are still using the old cables that were laid for the he he around 50 years ago probably more.

m044bz00
07-05-2007, 21:44
I think the problem with many on here is that you've been worn down by the likes of NTL to follow their way of thinking. Britons are all too willing just to accept a shoddy service

Can you imagine paying for your electricity for an upto 240v service but just getting 180v, or a telephone service where you're unable to contact people further than 100 miles away.

I understand there are technical restraints, especially with ADSL but NTL have bigged up Cable and it's advantages over ADSL, I'm 100 yards away from the local green box and a fibre connection and I'm unable to get a tenth of the service that is being sold to me.

An unlimited service by it's own definition can not have a fair usage policy otherwise it is not unlimited. The fact that all providers do this does not mean it is correct, it means they are all taking the ****** and we're gullible enough to accept it and the likes of offcom or whoever are toothless to stop it.

And it gets even better in that NTL/Virgin/Nynex/C&W/whoever don't actually give a definitive answer as to what they consider unacceptable in their "Fair Usgae Policy" and they also provide no way whatsoever of the end user being able to measure the content they download.

NTL are a service provider, a business and have to provide a service which can be considered to be acceptable, for the last two weeks I have had less than 1Mbps whilst I am paying for 10Mbps and that is clearly by any sane persons standards not acceptable.

AndrewJ
07-05-2007, 22:26
Simply put for the morons who come here spouting rubbish showing they never read the t/c of their agreement.

If you dont like then sod off to another service, simply put posting such drivel shows you don't read your terms and conditions and as such giving the guys jip here on how your being done etc etc is just drivel and spam posting.

RXP
07-05-2007, 22:35
Need? What, for medical reasons?

Psychological reasons could be medical ;-) Downloading addiction!

m044bz00
07-05-2007, 22:47
Simply put for the morons who come here spouting rubbish showing they never read the t/c of their agreement.

If you dont like then sod off to another service, simply put posting such drivel shows you don't read your terms and conditions and as such giving the guys jip here on how your being done etc etc is just drivel and spam posting.
whereas because you've made over 7,000 posts on here you think it's acceptable to abuse people?

I have read the terms and conditions, i have read the acceptable use policy and I still do not know at what point I'm likely to be warned or cut off, i have no way to measure what i download or what Virgin say I have downloaded.

Vague doesn't even come into it !

boodykaka
07-05-2007, 23:00

I have read the T/C & interpret that the cable company have to notify you of any changes to the service that will affect you.
or are you going to use any more derogatory remarks regarding this?

welwynrose
07-05-2007, 23:26
Can you imagine paying for your electricity for an upto 240v service but just getting 180v, or a telephone service where you're unable to contact people further than 100 miles away.

actually I was speaking to an electrican the other day & he says the the domestic voltage is being reduced to bring us in line with most of Europe - so our actual voltage in the uk is more 220/30 than 240 - that why all the rules & regs were bought in so that only qualified electrician could do work in your house

dragon
07-05-2007, 23:45
actually I was speaking to an electrican the other day & he says the the domestic voltage is being reduced to bring us in line with most of Europe - so our actual voltage in the uk is more 220/30 than 240 - that why all the rules & regs were bought in so that only qualified electrician could do work in your house

That would be of course with a tolerance as well, isn't it allowed to deviate by +/- 10% or so (i know there's a tolerance not sure if 10% is the right figure though)

boodykaka
07-05-2007, 23:51
Regarding the T/C of the Cable agreement

However, you will have the right to cancel the affected services or end this agreement if the changes are significant

we make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced

Also noticed this

if we and/or Virgin Media Payments break the terms and conditions of this agreement, you're free to end this agreement. But we'd love the chance to put things right first. So we'd ask you to give us reasonable time to do that before you end this agreement

AndrewJ
08-05-2007, 00:13
As I said if your not happy then terminate your contract, goto a solicitor either way ranting about it in yet another pointless thread of thousands which people post in knee jerk reaction responses is just idiotic.

Paul H
08-05-2007, 00:17
As I said if your not happy then terminate your contract, goto a solicitor either way ranting about it in yet another pointless thread of thousands which people post in knee jerk reaction responses is just idiotic.

Chill dude :)

AdamD
08-05-2007, 00:25
After having no end of problems with Bulldog (Who hasn't?)

I've been at odds as to whether to switch to VMedia or stick with an ADSL provider

We're going to go with Sky broadband, mostly because my uncle needs his BT line, so it seems pointless paying the prices VM are charging, when for £36, we can get 16mb broadband, bt line and the basic sky package.

When I was on Bulldog's 16mb service, I sync'd at a nice 18mb at the beginning.

m044bz00
08-05-2007, 06:02
Andrew, could you please inform me when I'm allowed to moan then and also what defines a knee jerk reaction jerk. My connection has now been useless for 19 days, my first post on the subject ws 10 days ago.

I greatly look forward to the day when your connection goes tits up, CS are useless, deny any issue for weeks and you're unable to play your crappy online game because then you'll need to chill dude. That day can't come soon enough

Martie07
08-05-2007, 06:14
When VM works, it really works well, but when it goes wrong you might as well not have it.

I agree with this, its the only reason i have stayed with virgin, my connection randomly suffers with packetloss of upto 90%. But when it works, it's insainly fast, and latency of 12ms to london.

Thats why i have held on for so long, and still dont want to leave now.

Paul K
08-05-2007, 07:14
I have read the T/C & interpret that the cable company have to notify you of any changes to the service that will affect you.
or are you going to use any more derogatory remarks regarding this?
The only "change" that has occured is that VM have now publicly stated their AUP and are enforcing it. VM/NTL/TW have always had AUPs in the T's and C's but up till now have not been enforcing them to any great extent. It's not really a change in terms more a case of "well you got away with it up till now but from this point on the rules you agreed to are going to be supported".

m044bz00
08-05-2007, 07:41
The only "change" that has occured is that VM have now publicly stated their AUP and are enforcing it. VM/NTL/TW have always had AUPs in the T's and C's but up till now have not been enforcing them to any great extent. It's not really a change in terms more a case of "well you got away with it up till now but from this point on the rules you agreed to are going to be supported".
Paul, do you believe it is acceptable firstly to advertise a service as unlimited when there are limititions (AUP) ?

Do you believe it is Acceptable to have an AUP that does not define what is and is not acceptable with regards to bandwidth and what is and isn't above the unlimited amount?

Do you beleieve it is acceptable to then provide no way of being able to accurately meter your account and usage to ensure you don't break the levels (which haven't acutally been defined)

I really do not understand how companies are allowed to get away with the above when there are supposed to be organisations in place to protect the consumer

Safeman
08-05-2007, 08:28

Virgin is great. you won't find a better service :) lol apart from the customer service is great lol i spent 2 days trying to ring up and every time they answered it went off :mad: bring back nthell customer service lol

NTLVictim
08-05-2007, 08:37
That would be of course with a tolerance as well, isn't it allowed to deviate by +/- 10% or so (i know there's a tolerance not sure if 10% is the right figure though)

AFAIK 10% is correct..If VM had to stick to that, they would be in big trouble in certain areas!:)

Paul H
08-05-2007, 09:25

When you say they have now publicly stated their AUP. is that by letter or email?
That's what they need to do so that they don't breach their own terms and conditions of the contract. it's something that they agreed to do on their part :)

boodykaka
08-05-2007, 11:02
Chill dude :)

He has already grassed anyway

Russ
08-05-2007, 11:05
The complaints are flooding in for this thread, if I get anymore justified reports then I'm closing this down.

Magilla
10-05-2007, 17:13

Odd, I'd say that this is the worst service I've ever had from any company I've had any dealings with in the last 20 years. Though I appreciate others are reported as worse.

I'm happy to give them until the end of the month, but there's only so long you can have no service before you gotta move on.

Efour
10-05-2007, 18:21
I came from Bulldog to NTL (VM) Moved Last june (coming up to 1 year)

Originally i thought NTL was the best thing i had ever experienced for an internet connection, It has slowly gotten worse and worse and worse to unusable worse a few weeks back. Id say it was flawless up until Dec 2006.

Spend a Few £100 thousand on us in NE London and ill take it all back until then, i could not recommend this serviced to anyone in the area.

S.O.F.T.
10-05-2007, 18:26
he he
Thu, 10 May 2007 17:23:10 UTC

1st 512K took 8312 ms = 61.6 KB/sec, approx 508 Kbps, 0.5 Mbps
2nd 512K took 9047 ms = 56.6 KB/sec, approx 466 Kbps, 0.46 Mbps
3rd 512K took 7875 ms = 65 KB/sec, approx 536 Kbps, 0.52 Mbps
4th 512K took 8094 ms = 63.3 KB/sec, approx 522 Kbps, 0.51 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 508 Kbps, 0.5 Mbps

10 meg eeeerrrrrr ok .

Safeman
10-05-2007, 18:32
i think VM like losing customers like the SKY One thing now its the BB turn lol

tweetypie/8
10-05-2007, 20:11

go down to your local shop and stock up with paper hankies!:rolleyes:

Rik
10-05-2007, 20:18

I agree!

Fabulous speeds here in Hertfordshire, Highly recommend them :D

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

i need something without download limits..

Well youre with the right ISP then ;)

You can download as much as you want!!
There are NO LIMITS on the amount of data you can download!

Here we go again! lol

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

WOW I can get a whopping 512k ADSL! :D
What a result thanks for that link Bill :D

Ill stick with 10MB/20MB ;)

Thu, 10 May 2007 19:33:44 UTC

1st 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps
2nd 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps
3rd 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps
4th 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9644 Kbps, 9.42 Mbps

Nedkelly
10-05-2007, 20:24
The bloke across the road from me is on skys 8 meg he hasnt seen anything over 5 since he had it put in hes just waiting for his contract to finish and come back to VM as we live over 3km from the BT exchange .I did tell him this he wished he had listend to me so the grass is'nt always greener :)

pedrohizzo
10-05-2007, 20:30
but he is paying £7 less than ntl 4mb and getting faster broadband :confused:

Nedkelly
10-05-2007, 20:34
I know but he was on the 10 meg package they told him him he could have 16 meg but the exchange wasnt ready at the time and they phoned him up but it was to late he had ported his number to bt he just said oh well ill have to suck it and see .:)

pedrohizzo
10-05-2007, 20:37
ahh, that's not too good. i followed that link bill posted and im a whopping 400 metres from the exchange and am looking into swapping over to bt, just got a bit of research to do first, wanna swap tv over too as i cant stand the new interface and the red button always showing on screen drives me crazy :mad:

hanzo
30-09-2007, 21:16
after a few months VM are still woeful...

pathetic company

myriauk
30-09-2007, 21:20
Amen to that. check out this

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do

= extensive long list of problems.. then again as a customer I expect that list to be empty with nothing but green status lights across the top, after all at £37/month for a 'UPTO 20mb' connection, I would at least expect it to break 0.5mb/s at any time of the day.

Instead we are given a crap service, a premium rate phone number, high latency when gaming even though the servers are based in the UK, and to think.. if you click this.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/specialoffers/halo3.html

It just makes it laugh. Especially.
Join Virgin Media, get superfast broadband speeds of up to 20Mb on cable, plus a fantastic phone service, and we'll give you Xbox LIVE Gold Membership free - for a year!

What's more, with this deal our broadband prices start at £9 a month (for up to 2Mb broadband). You'll be happy to know that the great saving you'll be making on our standard prices is ongoing!

myblueocean
30-09-2007, 21:56
Btw. Webspace works fine, no?

Mitzu
30-09-2007, 22:13
hmm, i am with tiscali and i am disapointed with their service. I guess you just have to contact virgin and tell them the problem. If they are anything lke tiscali (an i dont know if they are) dont expect anything to happen. hehe..

slowcoach
01-10-2007, 01:22
According to this http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/specialoffers/halo3.html
if you sign up, XL BB is £28 month for life.
Anyone else get the feeling that a price drop is on the cards? ;)

TraxData
01-10-2007, 01:33
I agree!

Fabulous speeds here in Hertfordshire, Highly recommend them :D

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Well youre with the right ISP then ;)

You can download as much as you want!!
There are NO LIMITS on the amount of data you can download!

Here we go again! lol

Don't make me slap you rik! :p:

No matter how you look at it, there is a limit, regardless. ;)

Mrcon
01-10-2007, 01:55
755 metres from the exchange, might get another line, on 20MB virgin at the mo, might get an ADSL2 line.

themainliner
02-10-2007, 14:46
its probably the best of the currently available crap

I like my cable broadband when it works, but guys the Customer Service and Technical Support is second to everyone. C'mon.