PDA

View Full Version : UBR has gone Black??

Prowlz
07-05-2007, 16:44
Hey guys, been having Oversubscribed Upstream probs for around 3 months now. I went to cancel my ntl internet after almost 7 years :( and the customer services rep asked why .. i told them about the over subscription ( and me being an avid gamer ) they ordered a repull ... and then he came back on the phone and said "Ive spoke to tech support and apparantly the UBR im on has gone "BLack" .. now i know that dosnt sound too good .. but does anyone know what it means?

Btw .. im in Grimsby Dn37 area.

Paul K
07-05-2007, 16:48
Maybe it means your UBR is now back in the black for it's traffic load???

Nedkelly
07-05-2007, 16:50
Black ,Amber ,Red , are the 3 stages that the ubrs are put in on badger a internal system Black being ok red being bad :)

Prowlz
07-05-2007, 16:54
Hmm, well .. if Black is the less serious of them .. i would hate to see Red.

For 3 months now i have not been able to play online games after 3pm "peak times" my ping gos from 120ms ( world of warcraft european server ) to 1100ms.

A friend on Bt on same server has around 200ms constantly to the same server.

The worst thing is they are charging me full price for this :(

I am about to make the big cut "no internet" at all if this dosnt get resolved soon :( .... hope real life hasnt changed too much.

Bill C
07-05-2007, 16:55
Black ,Amber ,Red , are the 3 stages that the ubrs are put in on badger a internal system Black being ok red being bad :)

Pm on its way m8 :)

Paul K
07-05-2007, 16:56
You may find that once the traffic shaping kicks in that your ping improves during peak hours.

Bill C
07-05-2007, 17:02
Hmm, well .. if Black is the less serious of them .. i would hate to see Red.

For 3 months now i have not been able to play online games after 3pm "peak times" my ping gos from 120ms ( world of warcraft european server ) to 1100ms.

A friend on Bt on same server has around 200ms constantly to the same server.

The worst thing is they are charging me full price for this :(

I am about to make the big cut "no internet" at all if this dosnt get resolved soon :( .... hope real life hasnt changed too much.

Ned is thinking of the old colour system. Black is the new red. If its black then it will be on the list for upgrading.

Prowlz
07-05-2007, 17:05
Is there any E.t.a on this traffic shaping? Going to hold out for a few days .. currently in contact with "one of the decent" customer service people, so if they reduce cost i may stay a customer, been with them since diamond cable first came with there 56k service ( which i gota say .. is slightly better than the 2meg service i have now :D )

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Ned is thinking of the old colour system. Black is the new red. If its black then it will be on the list for upgrading.

Thanks for the headsup, and glad to hear that Black is actualy very bad .. seems they have acknowledged the problem at least, now if you techies can just work your magic on my upstream i'd be one happy chappy. :)

Bill C
07-05-2007, 17:06
Is there any E.t.a on this traffic shaping? Going to hold out for a few days .. currently in contact with "one of the decent" customer service people, so if they reduce cost i may stay a customer, been with them since diamond cable first came with there 56k service ( which i gota say .. is slightly better than the 2meg service i have now :D )

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Thanks for the headsup, and glad to hear that Black is actualy very bad .. seems they have acknowledged the problem at least, now if you techies can just work your magic on my upstream i'd be one happy chappy. :)

If its classed as black then it WILL be on the list for work.

Paul H
07-05-2007, 17:13

Be aware that there's others who's UBR's are down to be upgraded, and have been for months. as you say they have acknowledged the problem. doesn't mean they will fix it :)

kibblerok
07-05-2007, 17:13
Mine was in Black for ages before any work was done on it though. On badger is should give a 'relief date' if work has been arranged, not sure how accurate it is though.

Prowlz
07-05-2007, 17:23
Its amazing that VM/NTL let things get this bad in the first place, let alone keep it up for months while still raking the money in. Its about the 5th time its happened to me.

to make things worse when they tell you "keep paying full price" until we have sorted the problem, then we will look to compensating you .....

Paul H
07-05-2007, 17:27
Its amazing that VM/NTL let things get this bad in the first place, let alone keep it up for months while still raking the money in. Its about the 5th time its happened to me.

to make things worse when they tell you "keep paying full price" until we have sorted the problem, then we will look to compensating you .....

They have too many things on the go to be able to finish the other thing they were doing before they started the new thing that they were doing before the old thing :D
They are still working out what modems need changing for the 20Mb that has already started. they will let us know in about 7 days time :)

Nedkelly
07-05-2007, 17:52
Hands up i made a Mistake sorry Thanks Bill its Black ,Red ,Amber :dunce:

Sirpingalot
07-05-2007, 22:30
Out of interest, is there any way to check what status the network is on - I'm connected to Baguley...or does it have to be the local network?

JackSon
08-05-2007, 00:19
I suspect at the moment it may be coporately embarrassing to have a comprehensive league table of your UBR's displaying how many of them are throwing a wobbly open to the public. Not saying that any other ISP is going to be any worse or better than another in that respect but I reckon it will be the sort of information they don't want the other to know, and or will be open to artistic license on the accuracy of the status ;)

Sirpingalot
08-05-2007, 05:35
I suspect at the moment it may be coporately embarrassing to have a comprehensive league table of your UBR's displaying how many of them are throwing a wobbly open to the public. Not saying that any other ISP is going to be any worse or better than another in that respect but I reckon it will be the sort of information they don't want the other to know, and or will be open to artistic license on the accuracy of the status ;)

Yeah...probably not the best idea to advertise it to prospective customers/other ISPs. I agree:) :D

Saneboy13
08-05-2007, 15:01
If its classed as black then it WILL be on the list for work.,

Not 100% True,

It's not just down to the UBR being "Black", there are other factors to it as well.

You have to look at CARDIE scores (ingress/CPD), UBR ports and load balancing.

IMHO I believe that weekly load balancing would help the situation, but it would not resolve the overall problem.

We are going to implement Dual DOCSIS on one UBR to see what sort of impact it will have.

But to just say the UBR is black, and that's the problem with slow browsing is not the b all and end all

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 15:03
I would have guessed black is good and red is bad, as in "your in the red" with debt a bank etc.