PDA

View Full Version : Downstream status

JackSon
06-05-2007, 00:01
Am trying to collate further evidence that my modem has started to fail so that I can try to get it sorted out, so could I ask someone who knows what the figures mean to take a wee butchers for me?

The downstream status section of my NTL:Home 100 modem

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.69 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 30.81 dB
Specifially I am looking at the 'Downstream Receive Power Level' - is it too high?

While I am at it the remainder of my modem's information is as follows in case anything else is 'wobbly' which I don't recognise.

The Upstream status

Upstream Frequency : 36800000 Hz
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 49.00 dBmvI appreciate you taking a peek :) and TIA

monkey2468
06-05-2007, 00:06
Downstream is high. upstream is fine.
Downstream needs to be about 0. SNR is fine bothways.

It's probably not your modem, more likely your levels need adjusting!

jrhnewark
06-05-2007, 00:11
Absolutely well within reasonable levels.

I suggest you've got something else causing the problem. What is the problem?

monkey2468
06-05-2007, 00:20
Do you have a router? use USB or ethernet?

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Absolutely well within reasonable levels.

I suggest you've got something else causing the problem. What is the problem?

Good point! What is the issue exactly?

JackSon
06-05-2007, 00:23
The problem is an unhealthy 1Mb speed 10Mb line. Last 2 weeks it has been behaving poorly, but there doesn't seem to be a high number of folk in the same area who are suffering. So I am not jumping at the idea of it being the loacl infrastructure unless any more in the nott/derby area crawl out of the woodwork to say the same. The old modem (around 6 years old) I was told by customer services today that it had an operational limit of 5Mb and it has been on the 10Mb service since it launched. It never really gave more than 7.5Mb so I thought it had given up the ghost after being pushed beyond its envelope. Customer services said it could only be spyware on my computer (of which I have negated as a reason after using more than one PC using combinations of Windows and Linux to obtain the same 65KB./sec transfer rates from Micro$oft) as the network all checked out and she got no packet loss from pinging the modem. I never asked how her how big the packets were she was pinging it with though.

The connectivity of it is fine, just unhealthy speeds.

Edit:

Normally it is behind a wired Belkin 4 port router, but for the purpose of testing and speaking to CS I wired it directly from PC to modem with 10/100 ethernet. All transfer rates are comparable when behidn router and when bypassed. Problem is almost certainly at modem or upstream thereof.

Nedkelly
06-05-2007, 00:38
The best thing to do is to get a tech out the downstream is to high also the modem might be at fault as well .I have seen many ntl 100 modems on 10 meg only getting 6 to 7 meg :)

monkey2468
06-05-2007, 00:42
The best thing to do is to get a tech out the downstream is to high also the modem might be at fault as well .I have seen many ntl 100 modems on 10 meg only getting 6 to 7 meg :)

I thought it was high but jrhnewark said it was well within reasonable levels. Sound more like conjestion to me though, no packet loss etc..

JackSon
06-05-2007, 00:43
Getting the tech out seems to be the hard part at the moment though you see. As at present, the lady at CS today said to me she didnt feel it was worth sending out an engineer to inspect/replace the modem as it passed her ping test and didnt believe it to be at fault. Is why I was hunting around for a smoking gun as it were to coax an enginner out of them with ;) is the high downstream good enough excuse to plead for a guy in a boiler suit?

6-7 meg did seem to be the norm for the modem in the good old days, I just assumed that was the max the loal area would consistently support, at that time I had no notion that the momem was actually bouncing off its own physical limit, poor thing. Am a bit disappointed that if in tech services it is considered to only go up to 5Mb that it was not flagged for replacement when I switched to 10Mb over a year ago.

Nedkelly
06-05-2007, 00:47
At the moment there seems to be a big problem with speed in a lot of areas which they can not see:mad: .As for the level the closer to 0dbmv the better if i had seen that i would reduce it but hey thats me .:)

monkey2468
06-05-2007, 00:50
Getting the tech out seems to be the hard part at the moment though you see. As at present, the lady at CS today said to me she didnt feel it was worth sending out an engineer to inspect/replace the modem as it passed her ping test and didnt believe it to be at fault. Is why I was hunting around for a smoking gun as it were to coax an enginner out of them with ;) is the high downstream good enough excuse to plead for a guy in a boiler suit?

6-7 meg did seem to be the norm for the modem in the good old days, I just assumed that was the max the loal area would consistently support, at that time I had no notion that the momem was actually bouncing off its own physical limit, poor thing. Am a bit disappointed that if in tech services it is considered to only go up to 5Mb that it was not flagged for replacement when I switched to 10Mb over a year ago.

ambit 100 won't do 10Mbps, pull out the coax cable, call up and say no BB conex. '...all cables checked governor!!!....' ;) I didn't tell you that though! :D

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

At the moment there seems to be a big problem with speed in a lot of areas which they can not see:mad: .As for the level the closer to 0dbmv the better if i had seen that i would reduce it but hey thats me .:)
Ambit's are quite forgiving in my experience.

JackSon
06-05-2007, 00:55
Thanks for your thoughts guys, it is appreciated.

I suppose that with the impending 20Mb upgrade I will have to get this modem replaced anyway so that will tell me one way or the other if it is the problem or not I suppose. Would be nice to be able to say send me new one now please rather than wait for a few weeks. But, never know, may get careless with trailing cables and unlit rooms and bare feet ;)

monkey2468
06-05-2007, 00:57
Thanks for your thoughts guys, it is appreciated.

I suppose that with the impending 20Mb upgrade I will have to get this modem replaced anyway so that will tell me one way or the other if it is the problem or not I suppose. Would be nice to be able to say send me new one now please rather than wait for a few weeks. But, never know, may get careless with trailing cables and unlit rooms and bare feet ;)
as happens quite often in my household.;)

XFS03
06-05-2007, 11:39
Downstream is high. upstream is fine.
Downstream needs to be about 0....

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

...As for the level the closer to 0dbmv the better...
Are the levels given in the sticky at the top of this page incorrect?
For 256 QAM it says the DS levels should be between -6 to +15dBmV. Which suggests that 4.5dBmV is the optimum.

9.69 is within the acceptable range.