PDA

View Full Version : Mad installation plan

mikekirk
05-05-2007, 21:01
My parents are considering purchasing a house not far from me, unfortunately being at the furthest end of the village from the telephone exchange which is in the nearby village the only viable broadband is from VM.

Luckily the houses on the development they want to move to are cabled, unluckily the one they wanted to buy is not. It turns out that on the whole street three of the houses are on a short 10 metre section of shared driveway recessed from the road. The three households told NTL they didn't want their precious road touched, so they didn't put ducting past those properties. At the time it probably seemed like a good idea, but possibly a bad move now as their going to have a hard time selling that house to anyone that wants broadband.

Now my father has a mad plan, to be honest it all sounds like too much effort to me, I think I'd rather look to buy another house... But here goes...

The house on the other side of the shared drive is cabled. It seems that even though that household objected to the drive being dug, as there is a miniscule one foot wide portion of their lawn edging onto the public path, NTL stuck a CATV hatch there.

So he's thinking of asking them if they wouldn't mind having VM dig a trench from their CATV cover in the path up the edge of their garden. He then wants to get a duct dug by a mole under the shared drive (yes, really!), for the cable to go through. From then its a simple trench across the lawn job.

This all sounds a little bonkers to me, I've told him that I would be very surprised if he could get VM to co-operate with this. But I'm wondering if he tells them that though the property is not cabled, he has a trench and route for the cable in place for them to just do a simple cable pull through, will they bite? I guess they could, but how you convince them of this I have no idea. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

zing_deleted
05-05-2007, 21:05
I dont think there is much of a chance really do you?

mikekirk
05-05-2007, 21:17
I dont think there is much of a chance really do you?

No, I'm not even sure where you'd begin to convince them this was something they could do. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience along these lines.

Surely there must be tens of people out there who have done their own custom installs on NTL's behalf? ;)