PDA

View Full Version : New BB installation

Kneebs
03-05-2007, 22:59
Hello All,

I've been trying to help a friend get their BB install setup up & working over the past two days, but to no avail....

After running into problems with the setup on their laptop (with Vista) - the setup program couldn't detect the built in network card in the laptop (it's enabled OK and has correct drivers etc), and then trying without the CD, again with no luck, I tried running the setup on another laptop that has XP.

It got to the point where it tries to acquire an IP address however it fails at this point. I rang tech support (took an age to get through to the correct department - I twice got through to a telewest helpdesk rather than NTL, but thats a different story!

I was told last night that there were issues with the registration servers and the application they use to manually register the modems, and to try again today which I have done.

After getting to the same point as yesterday, I rang back tech support back to be told, after going through a few steps / checks that it must be a problem with the modem & they've booked an engineer for Monday.

The sync & ready lights lock on no problems....do any techs know if there's still issues with the registration servers ?

The laptop just gets a locally assigned IP address (192.168) IP address. Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance

on in an hour!
04-05-2007, 11:37
Hello All,

I've been trying to help a friend get their BB install setup up & working over the past two days, but to no avail....

After running into problems with the setup on their laptop (with Vista) - the setup program couldn't detect the built in network card in the laptop (it's enabled OK and has correct drivers etc), and then trying without the CD, again with no luck, I tried running the setup on another laptop that has XP.

It got to the point where it tries to acquire an IP address however it fails at this point. I rang tech support (took an age to get through to the correct department - I twice got through to a telewest helpdesk rather than NTL, but thats a different story!

I was told last night that there were issues with the registration servers and the application they use to manually register the modems, and to try again today which I have done.

After getting to the same point as yesterday, I rang back tech support back to be told, after going through a few steps / checks that it must be a problem with the modem & they've booked an engineer for Monday.

The sync & ready lights lock on no problems....do any techs know if there's still issues with the registration servers ?

The laptop just gets a locally assigned IP address (192.168) IP address. Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance
if sync and rdy are lit solid,remove installation disc,open your browser and type 'autoreg.autoregister.net' in the url bar.make sure the enet light is lit on front of modem as well.might be different in your area but in the north west a pre-registration modem i.p. address will brgin with 86.do you have the enet feed from the modem to a router,if so connect directly to laptop to register.

Nedkelly
04-05-2007, 15:35
Hi did this get sorted :)

Kneebs
04-05-2007, 16:21
No, I've not been back over since last night. After posting this I did notice that there was still an issue with the registration servers, although as I understand it this wouldn't affect the acquiring of an IP address ?

If it was only getting a 192.168.x.x IP address, would this mean it's a problem with the modem, or could it be down to the registration servers? (Which do seem to be working again now)

Also from looking at the Registration server pages, do they need a serial number ? From what I saw there was only a PIN number (they didn't receive a welcome letter with this on, they had to phone up to get it, which took around 2 hours (literally) to get !

Will they need to phone up to get this, or is there a standard serial number ?

Thanks

edit..PS, yes it's direct from the modem to the laptop - no router involved.

Nedkelly
04-05-2007, 16:27
Hi the reg page is up at the moment connect the modem to the pc .Then type in 80.5.178.26 this will take you to the reg page the serial no you req is ntl ct8 cj486 this will take you to start and you will be able to reg the modem. Hope this helps good luck :)

Kneebs
05-05-2007, 19:02
I had another go today & still wouldn't get an IP addy via DHCP....just the windows assigned one :(

I tried connecting to the modem to see what power levels etc were and after a reboot I could only connect to it for a few seconds then would just get page cannot be displayed. After a few reboots I managed to check the levels & they seemed pretty much the same as mine, so I don't think thats the issue.

Just have to hope they swap the modem out I guess on Monday...

Thanks anyway :)

Nedkelly
05-05-2007, 19:16
Not got any other ideas may be someone like zinglebarb might help as he is a pc whiz :) or anyone else with pc skills:)

Kneebs
05-05-2007, 19:36
Not got any other ideas may be someone like zinglebarb might help as he is a pc whiz :) or anyone else with pc skills:)

I don't think it's the PC(s) mate - I reckon it's the modem. I've helped out a few friends setting up their BB and had a couple of issues with mine so I kinda know what to look for etc.

I just hope it's sorted on Monday - she's already thinking of cancelling it due to bad customer service & installation issues. I've told her once it's up & running though she (hopefully !! ;)) won't have any probs

Nedkelly
05-05-2007, 19:42
Lets hope it gets sorted good luck:)

Kneebs
08-05-2007, 00:27
Sorted :)

Engineer turned up today and replaced the modem.....He said to leave it until after 2 so he could get it registered & they were up & running by 2:10

Nedkelly
08-05-2007, 07:04
:tu: Glad it is sorted :)