PDA

View Full Version : so who is off when there contract expires

ginge51
03-05-2007, 22:00
hi all :)

i moved to ntl because there connections WAS unlimited now there not so i thought id do a poll

whos leaving vm when there contract expires due to this unessasery throttling/shaping?
count me in.

Paul K
03-05-2007, 22:03
The connection was never truly unlimited as there was always a fair usage policy in place. Now VM have laid the numbers out so that people know exactly what to expect.

monkey2468
03-05-2007, 22:03
Max I can get through a BT line is about 400K! Plus my conection is unlimted at the moment so I will not be changing.

spr33
03-05-2007, 22:05
It's not exactly a cap, maybe you should rephrase the poll answers.

ginge51
03-05-2007, 22:06

what to?

Paul K
03-05-2007, 22:07
capping to throttling/ shaping would be more accurate

spr33
03-05-2007, 22:07
Paul beat me to it.

Paul K
03-05-2007, 22:12
All I can say is that once all the P2P'ers that slaughter their connection 24/7 sod off to ADSL for an "unlimited connection" I won't be too upset ;)

meangreenie
03-05-2007, 22:15
man this thread and vote is rigged.. just how stupid do you think we are

Paul K
03-05-2007, 22:16
The only people that can alter the vote count are CF staff members and to be honest they have better things to do with their time than rig a poll..... unless it's about a team member anyway ;)

meangreenie
03-05-2007, 22:18
yeh what ever.. the majority are stoked that their connection has been halved .. of course why couldn't i see that before ???

the problem is you pushed it too far too soon.. duh

spr33
03-05-2007, 22:19
It's not halved if you stick within the limits. 3gb between 4-12pm.

Get your facts right.

meangreenie
03-05-2007, 22:21
this thread is complete Admin Edit(Stuart) attempt to bypass swear filter removed

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

any one can see what you are trying to do

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

shame on you

papa smurf
03-05-2007, 22:21
10 meg £1-50 a month staff package what do you think ;)

meangreenie
03-05-2007, 22:23
you will win .. enjoy your victory.. but some will know what low lifes you are

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

5 seconds old thread and 10 votes in favour of the internet cuts... don't you think that is pushinhg it ?

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

real posters .. ignore this thread

spr33
03-05-2007, 22:28
Low lifes?

Quit trolling and move on.

Horace
03-05-2007, 22:31
Here at Virgin Media, we want all our customers to get the best service possible from their broadband. That means speedy downloads for all users – not just a few.

When someone is downloading a particularly large amount of information over a long period of time, it can slow down the internet speed for other users who might just be checking their email or browsing online. So to make sure our service is fair for everybody, we sometimes moderate the speeds during peak times (4pm till midnight) for customers who are downloading an unusually large amount at these times.

This ensures that the service doesn't get blocked up with people using more than their fair share – which means a lot fewer traffic jams on the information superhighway.

I don't know how they dare consider the majority in favour of the minority. It's a scandal. Call the police!

man this thread and vote is rigged.. just how stupid do you think we are

Only you know how stupid you are.

welwynrose
03-05-2007, 22:32
the traffice shaping won't affect me, I'm haapy with my service from VM so voted to stay & no I'm not a VM employee

Rik
03-05-2007, 22:34
you will win .. enjoy your victory.. but some will know what low lifes you are

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

5 seconds old thread and 10 votes in favour of the internet cuts... don't you think that is pushinhg it ?

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

real posters .. ignore this thread

You really have lost the plot havent you? :D

I voted VM are the dogs danglers :)

meangreenie
03-05-2007, 22:48
thread is bollox... ignore

que ten pretend posters below me

.... these idiots can't even do a fake vote properly

Sirpingalot
03-05-2007, 22:50
the traffice shaping won't affect me, I'm haapy with my service from VM so voted to stay & no I'm not a VM employee

It wouldn't necessarily not affect you just because you're happy with the service. >.< :p:

But yeah, ok, I get what you mean...you're not being affected at the moment.

welwynrose
03-05-2007, 22:52
It wouldn't necessarily not affect you just because you're happy with the service. >.< :p:

But yeah, ok, I get what you mean...you're not being affected at the moment.

& seeing as I'm very unlikely to be maxing out my connection 7 nights a week I can't actually see it ever affecting me

papa smurf
03-05-2007, 22:52
thread is bollox... ignore

que ten pretend posters below me

.... these idiots can't even do a fake vote properly

you asked for a vote you got one...thats how democrecy works you dont allways get the answer you want

meangreenie
03-05-2007, 22:56
zeig heil mein fueher

Mal
03-05-2007, 23:02
zeig heil mein fueherIt's actually spelt fuhrer (the u has the two dots above) ;)

meangreenie
03-05-2007, 23:51
it's such an honest vote.. who could possibly deny

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

man... this vote/thread must go down in history as the most pathetically rigged vote in internet history

'we are da winners 111111' 'we got ten votes in five secomnds da 111'

PATHETIC ATTEMPT

UnReaL
03-05-2007, 23:57
Is it only p2p traffic / newsgroups that are being throttled / shaped?

If so then I have nothing to worry about, unless they throttle gaming bandwith?

spr33
03-05-2007, 23:58
it's such an honest vote.. who could possibly deny

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

man... this vote/thread must go down in history as the most pathetically rigged vote in internet history

'we are da winners 111111' 'we got ten votes in five secomnds da 111'

PATHETIC ATTEMPT

I really don't understand how you think that it's rigged? Please explain.

Total voters so far, 37. Total users on the site, hundreds. Oh, yeah.. it's fixed for sure!

Maggy
03-05-2007, 23:59
My contract has already run out and I'm staying 'cos I hate the world domination of Sky and I will never go back to BT.I've no problem with VM BB,as I'm not shaped,pummelled or squashed by them in any way,the phone is good and actually works 100% and the only moan we have is with the crappy software on digital tv.

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 00:07
The connection was never truly unlimited as there was always a fair usage policy in place. Now VM have laid the numbers out so that people know exactly what to expect.

And as I have said before, if vm allow people to leave their contract without penalty then that is ok by me.

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

What would you call it?
Are you getting an unlimited service in the context of the word unlimited?
IE; Not restricted if you dare use the speed you are paying for?

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

you asked for a vote you got one...thats how democrecy works you dont allways get the answer you want

And we cant all get 10mb for £1.50 :erm:

r00t
04-05-2007, 00:09
Anyone with brains would schedule their Bittorrent client to work after midnight, I'm a ex-ADSL customer and accustomed to doing so to avoid using all my 'peek' bandwidth. Its not hard.

On a lighter note, I had a call today and when I told the customer he had been managed because of his downloading, he told me was going to cancel. " How am I meant to make a living selling movies if I have to wait longer to download them". Sadly I feel this guys really meant it :(

papa smurf, I'm with you; for £1.50 10Mbit BBI is great :)

RXP
04-05-2007, 00:10
Also on a technical level I have no idea why they have to use this sort of arbitrary traffic shaping, except for the reason of profiteering. QoS on corporate networks requires alot of kit and a lot of planning. VoIP, HTTP, Instant Messaging, Stock Tickers etc. get high priority. P2P, Usenet, FTP get bulk. Therefore your bandwidth is being optimally used at all times. This method, you have excess capacity in the system which is there only for one reason - profit.

Why don't Virgin just introduce QoS? Then the heavy downloaders wont effect everyone at prime time cause they'd get bulk traffic.

Nilrem
04-05-2007, 00:13
I'm staying - 3gig + 5mb speeds between 16:00 and 00:00 is fine for me, i've still got 16 hours of 20mb speeds if i need it, I would just have to wait until off peak times if I wanted to download a lot (still more than at the 10mb speeds).

Even if they bought that throttling system on to 24 hours it would still be something like 50gb+ a day.
I don't think I know anyone who moves that sort of data, even a couple of friends who are what I consider very heavy users.

meangreenie
04-05-2007, 00:33
This thread is <removed>. 10 votes for the 'staying' within ten seconds of it's creation....<removed>, and we all know it is

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Please let me vote (little girls voice) to stay, because my 3 pages of da net i look at a night is obviously being blocked by 1.2 nano seconds by those ogerous cads that dare to download anything for more than 20 minutes, those cads should be chased down, hung drawn and quartered.. i may have have an extra blink in my right eye, but if they haven't of intervened and dared try and download an update or something!!!".... "oooh ooooh"

1 minute recovery time, but then it continues

"oh no, the sky is falling because naughty man tried to download sp1 update for windows xp;.. quick let the hoards of revenginavirgen knights attack and teach the bounder a lesson he shall surely not forget"... "how dare he or she try to use the net as he or she shall wished"... may the lords and ladies of falsey vote rigged threads prevail and teach them peoples of downloadeth a lesson in what is right with the worldeth!!!!"...... "aatttack!!! and ridicule all those who dare appose" (little girls voice dis-engaged)

Mick
04-05-2007, 00:58
Any more posts suggesting this poll is rigged, when it isn't and the only rigging I will do is to suspend your account. This thread has received 500 views as I type this and 45 people have cast their votes. This poll is therefore not rigged and this will be the last I see of such accusations. Thank you.

meangreenie
04-05-2007, 01:01
[Admin Edit(Mick):- Nonsense Removed]

helmutcheese
04-05-2007, 01:04
Hmm, I dont see how you can not get XX volts in 1st few seconds, many vote and dont post a comment, I was opposite, so you are getting a ban for a dumb reason IMO, the vote is not rigged but results are not too good esp as VM are not the dogs the way they are going (really NTL).

danielf
04-05-2007, 01:10
It's actually spelt fuhrer (the u has the two dots above) ;)

Yes, but in absence of the two dots (commonly known as the umlaut) an 'e' is placed after the offending letter. So, whatever you think of the poster, he has used proper german spelling.

---------- Post added at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Admin Edit

Oh, get back under your bridge. Contrary to what you may think the majority of people don't cane their connection 24/7. The sooner we get rid of these idiots who steal all the bandwidth (and affect that of the majority of people) the better. Sod you sir.

Uncle Peter
04-05-2007, 01:13
Unless you're willing to pay a business tariff then it's unlikely that you're going to find an isp which does not implement traffic management or even hard usage caps in some form.

There are one or two things I'm not happy about with VM such as some of the quality of transit (latency) but on the whole it's a better bet than adsl as I am about 5,000 parsecs from my exchange

helmutcheese
04-05-2007, 01:14
Thats also not true, other countrys cope perfectly well. here from other forum where we are talking.

" Because downloading from news servers uses very little upstream bandwidth and it's the upstream usage which murders the cable network far more than down.
The biggest problem is bittorrent (and other P2P software) users who just leave their clients running 24/7 serving out stuff to keep their ratio high, whether they're downloading or not. Bittorrent is a bloody menace that will spell the end of decent low cost broadband in this country unless it's dealt with. I currently have to get support to change my upstream channel about twice a week because of latency problems, virtually all down to bittorrent users. "

" What rubbish. There are countries in this world that have far more bittorrent users than the UK yet have 2-3 times the connection speeds we do (without the need to traffic shape). The Netherlands for example. Very high proportion of bittorrent users, and where most of the high speed seeders come from, and their networks have very little problem coping with the traffic. This country is well behind the the rest of Europe when it comes to providing broadband, and with companies like BT and now Virgin running the show, its no wonder. Highest prices, lowest speeds, and all you can do is blame bittorrent users for daring to use the internet they pay for. Try blaming the **** poor investments in infrastructure rather than the end user. It would make a nice change. "

" The above is very true, if some users had it their way we would be back on 128k as no real need for faster speed as its ok for surfing and mail and updates for PC etc, but with companies pushing software and massive service packs and updates and users been sold idea of PFV, VOD, VOIP etc etc etc, we do need to move onward to current 20meg and more in future, in time it will only get faster and cheaper as everything does. "

UK is far behind :td:

Mr Angry
04-05-2007, 01:17
Yes, but in absence of the two dots (commonly known as the umlaut) an 'e' is placed after the offending letter. So, whatever you think of the poster, he has used proper german spelling.

Except, of course, where he / she / it spelt "seig" "Zeig".

danielf
04-05-2007, 01:23
Except, of course, where he / she / it spelt "seig" "Zeig".

Oops yes. Missed that at this late hour. He/she should of course have said "Sieg". I get the impression he won't be able to edit his posts though...

Paul K
04-05-2007, 06:06
Well why am I not suprised that this thread went the way it did? :erm: Amazing how speed changes/ rule changes bring them out isn't it? ;)

RXP
04-05-2007, 06:44
Unless you're willing to pay a business tariff then it's unlikely that you're going to find an isp which does not implement traffic management or even hard usage caps in some form.

Business tariff on Virgin is 3 pounds more than the home tariff with no shaping.

Bill C
04-05-2007, 07:00
Well why am I not suprised that this thread went the way it did? :erm: Amazing how speed changes/ rule changes bring them out isn't it? ;)

Why do you think i stayed out of it. I already have an infraction for calling a troll a troll. Therefor i think i would have ended up banned in this thread :LOL:.

Paul K
04-05-2007, 07:12
Business tariff on Virgin is 3 pounds more than the home tariff with no shaping.
For 10Mbs with a fair usage policy maybe ;)
VM Business (http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband.aspx)

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 07:13
Im sorry but all you people who think your gonna get a better service out of an ADSL service need to wake up smell the coffee eat some porridge and rejoin the real world

Bill C
04-05-2007, 07:17
Im sorry but all you people who think your gonna get a better service out of an ADSL service need to wake up smell the coffee eat some porridge and rejoin the real world

No Zing let them go.

Then when they realise the grass on the other side is ****y brown not green they will be stuck in a 12 month world of ****. :)

I understand that to some " hopefully that's none on this forum" who have bill's to pay the reduction of download speed between 4 and midnight will impact on there sales at the shows. But for those of us that can wait till after midnight and can schedule the downloads of which i have lots and lots ;) i don't see a problem. I downloaded well over 400 gig last month and all out of those hours and my area has been shaped since last year.?

RXP
04-05-2007, 07:20
Be has a minimum contract of 3 months. They know their customers won't want to leave so don't force them to stay.

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 ----------

For 10Mbs with a fair usage policy maybe ;)
VM Business (http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband.aspx)

The same FUP that used to apply to the residental 10mbit service i.e. no FUP applies. If Virgin offered better upload speeds on their business I'd go to them.

Bill C
04-05-2007, 07:25
Be has a minimum contract of 3 months. They know their customers won't want to leave so don't force them to stay.

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 ----------

The same FUP that used to apply to the residental 10mbit service i.e. no FUP applies. If Virgin offered better upload speeds on their business I'd go to them.

So when are you moving to BE or are you still in contract with Virgin ?

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 07:30
No Zing let them go.

Then when they realise the grass on the other side is ****y brown not green they will be stuck in a 12 month world of ****. :)

I understand that to some " hopefully that's none on this forum" who have bill's to pay the loose of download speed between 4 and midnight will impact on there sales at the shows. But for those of us that can wait till after midnight and can schedule the downloads of which i have lots and lots ;) i don't see a problem. I downloaded well over 400 gig last month and all out of those hours and my area has been shaped since last year.?

lol yeah let em sod off . Im a heavy user but being shaped between 4 and 12 isnt a big deal for me there isnt enough stuff I want to be worried about full bandwidth all day and 5 meg still isnt something to be sniffed at.Its still a dvd 5 worth of data in 2 hours I remember using easynews at 512 when a dvd literally took all night and sometimes id get up and its still not finished. Now if you q up at midnight (on 20 meg which I dont think im on yet) you can download over 14 dvd 5 images in an 8 hour sleep ;)

RXP
04-05-2007, 07:31
So when are you moving to BE or are you still in contract with Virgin ?

They won't let me terminate my contract, despite adding new terms to it.

Nedkelly
04-05-2007, 07:32
:) I agree with Zingle let them go some do come back like my neighbour who thought the grass was greener but he learnt his lesson :)

Bill C
04-05-2007, 07:36

:( Sorry to hear that.

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 07:40

if you feel they have altered the terms significantly then you make em terminate

kar
04-05-2007, 08:22
On the 10 / 20 meg product you guys are right, the grass probably wont be much greener elsewhere.

But on the 4 meg and under products the shaping kicks in FAR too easily, 300 and 750 megs respectively.

While those may well be the top 5% er averages over the course of a year, I cannot at all believe that only 5% of customers ever do that sort of figure during the peak 8 hour span.

For those of us on these products we can upgrade, or go elsewhere and the price of going elsewhere for similar usage habits (and fully aware other companies have shaping too) right now is the best option.

If the 2/4 meg plans had 1-2 gigs maybe in that peak time that would be reasonable. But 3-7 hundred meg is a real **** take.

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 08:31
I am still under the impression lower tiers are not gonna be shaped has this changed officially or is it all just hearsay? Think maybe I missed soemthing yesterday being ill someone bring me upto speed lol

kar
04-05-2007, 08:32
It's definite, I have been shaped every night for the last week and a bit.

And that is just from playing online games and using the playstation network while my housemate browses the web.

On 4mb plan.

According to the virgin faq, 10+ mb get 3 gig between 4 and 11, 4mb get 750mb, 2mb get 350mb. That is the total amoun you get unshaped for the peak 8 hours.

Utterly ridiculous that.

I fundementally accept traffic shaping as a generally fair principle. But the way virgin have implemented it neither targets habitual downloaders nor does it fairly treat the lower tiers. If you download everynight all night of course you should be shaped in peak hours. But if you download the odd game from ps network couple times of week, play online games and or have a home network it will be utterly impossible to avoid shaping. On the lower tiers the limits are very . ugh . limiting.

This doesn't make that much sense really either since oestensibly they are bringing in this shaping to limit network congestion by a tiny proportion of their customers. If they are saying that only 5% of their 4mb customers are doing 750mb or more, that's really a tiny amount of traffic compared to say 5% of the 10mb guys doing more than 3gb. It would make sense to reign those guys in more so than the 4mb guys who aren't even doing that much anyway.

It's that incongruence that to me indicates this may be a marketing as well as network management change. If 4mb guys are getting regularly capped, even if they dont want speed they may need a larger peak allowance and so are compelled to upgrade (or in my case seek pastures more equitable).

Paul K
04-05-2007, 08:35
I am still under the impression lower tiers are not gonna be shaped has this changed officially or is it all just hearsay? Think maybe I missed soemthing yesterday being ill someone bring me upto speed lol

All tiers are to be shaped at set trigger points, 2Mb is triggering at 3Gb I think but all shaping is supposedly only between the hours of 4pm and midnight each day.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 08:37
All tiers are to be shaped at set trigger points, 2Mb is triggering at 3Gb I think but all shaping is supposedly only between the hours of 4pm and midnight each day.

Damn missed this . Guess ill have to hunt the info out as 1 day has put me out of date

cheers Paul :)

Still I can live with it. I do however thinks its a little tight on lower tiers. If only all the leeches used newsgroups instead of p2p the upload bandwidth wouldnt be strangled still being shaped to 5 meg isnt gonna make me change my download habits at all. Contention uusually bought my 10 meg down to around 7 when I do download off the newsgroups at peak so its not a huge difference. Ill just leech in the day

bringerofnoise
04-05-2007, 08:46
Personally i think they have got the shaping wrong, because i have not downloaded anything in over 2 months just been playing counterstrike and come 4 o clock gaming becomes a lagfest.

At first it would be throttled to 5 meg which was'nt too bad but now come 4 o clock its throttled to 1 - 1.5 meg.

kar
04-05-2007, 08:47
It's a bit ironic I think, those least bothered by the traffic management are the high downloaders on the high speed plans :-)

So Virgin, really, have missed the mark - that is unless they were trying to make their high cost plans more attractive. In which case (aside from giving their competitors easy pickings with disaffected customers) they have succeeded.

If their goal was traffic management, well if people could only do 5-7 megs anyway, it's status quo pro ante isn't it for the guys doing > 3 gig i.e. the ones really affecting the network.

xspeedyx
04-05-2007, 09:06
It's a bit ironic I think, those least bothered by the traffic management are the high downloaders on the high speed plans :-)

So Virgin, really, have missed the mark - that is unless they were trying to make their high cost plans more attractive. In which case (aside from giving their competitors easy pickings with disaffected customers) they have succeeded.

If their goal was traffic management, well if people could only do 5-7 megs anyway, it's status quo pro ante isn't it for the guys doing > 3 gig i.e. the ones really affecting the network.

Really doesnt nother me I am a downloader but I alsays use torrents and very rare i get my top speed and i only have max 2 torrents running so if they both max at 250Kbs I will be happy and 5 meg for gaming will be fine because i have been looking at all adsl providers and they either throttle and shape or just have a cap and not everyone can get over 8 meg or close on adsl so I am sticking with vm even would if i was not an emplyee

breamhunter
04-05-2007, 09:15
Bugger, pressed the wrong button "I`m Off" Which is what I should of pressed :dunce:

Hate to bring it up but what are they doing about the clones? Surely if someone`s cloned then this will affect the legit user of the original paying modem? :rolleyes:

kar
04-05-2007, 09:18
Really doesnt nother me I am a downloader but I alsays use torrents and very rare i get my top speed and i only have max 2 torrents running so if they both max at 250Kbs I will be happy and 5 meg for gaming will be fine because i have been looking at all adsl providers and they either throttle and shape or just have a cap and not everyone can get over 8 meg or close on adsl so I am sticking with vm even would if i was not an emplyee

Exactly. So the real people getting the shaft are those on 2mb and 4mb plans which if the top 5% is as they mention doing mere averages of over 350/750 meg then they are shafting the wrong segment.

If as you say, despite the cap, your network performance wont degrade significantly then the big users on the big speed plans can continue to go flat out.

Those of us on the more modest plans who may not be massive downloaders in the 24/7 sense, but use the majority of our internet time in evening periods are utterly stuffed. And since these users do not use anything like the network capacity as the 10/20mb guys who aren't in effect really having their current service degrade much, this step isn't going to help Virgin's traffic congestion much...

Paul K
04-05-2007, 09:30
@Zing
Since the restrictions are only during the evening I don't mind, most of my downloading (House Season 3) is done over night so it doesn't impact the browsing speed for the 3 PCs on our network.
If people controlled their P2P activity better this sort of shaping wouldn't occur, it's only all the little idiots that download anything and everything that they can find 24/7 as fast as possible without controlling their network traffic that are causing the problems.

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 09:34
@Zing
Since the restrictions are only during the evening I don't mind, most of my downloading (House Season 3) is done over night so it doesn't impact the browsing speed for the 3 PCs on our network.
If people controlled their P2P activity better this sort of shaping wouldn't occur, it's only all the little idiots that download anything and everything that they can find 24/7 as fast as possible without controlling their network traffic that are causing the problems.

I totally agree message to the leeches "You can leech responsably" ;)

Paul K
04-05-2007, 09:38
I totally agree message to the leeches "You can leech responsably" ;)

At the end of day the people voting to leave are probably a large proportion of the people causing the issue so either way the "normal users" will gain something from this ;)

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 09:40
At the end of day the people voting to leave are probably a large proportion of the people causing the issue so either way the "normal users" will gain something from this ;)

hope so ;) half of the systems I see have become unusable because of either limewire or some p2p or BT client pulling down some crap or another. Normally at the hands of kids may I add

Sirpingalot
04-05-2007, 09:43
Me too, I agree.

AndyIggs83
04-05-2007, 10:18
I'm going nowhere as there is no way id get the speeds I get on my cable connection on ADSL!

Paul K
04-05-2007, 10:25
hope so ;) half of the systems I see have become unusable because of either limewire or some p2p or BT client pulling down some crap or another. Normally at the hands of kids may I add
Join the club, my personal record was a PC with over 500 pieces of malware, spyware, virus infections etc....... the girl had only been online for 6 months lol

c@tbyte
04-05-2007, 10:30
I'm staying.
Paying less now for 10meg, (and 20meg when the rollout gets to this area), than was when I started on the 512 connection.
I've noticed the odd slowdown when grabbing stuff from the net, but it's never bothered me.
(If it did I'd dump the comp in the bin and take up knitting.)

OrangeBattery
04-05-2007, 10:35
I dropped Virgin 2 months ago after having cable tv from them/NTL since 1995 because of their changes in the service. I love my net connection from them but these limits will affect me so Im now on the look out for a new provider as soon as possible. Ive been with NTL since 2002.

NTLVictim
04-05-2007, 10:36
" During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: XL package download at least 3GB of traffic each. Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 256Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied."

Seems fair to me...

xpod
04-05-2007, 10:57
I only pay the 4mb price for my 10mb line(plus free 1mb line) and any downloading we do is done on the 10mb line during the witching hour so i could`nt give two hoots one way or the other.

We dont actually download that much in reality

Sirpingalot
04-05-2007, 11:06
I dropped Virgin 2 months ago after having cable tv from them/NTL since 1995 because of their changes in the service. I love my net connection from them but these limits will affect me so Im now on the look out for a new provider as soon as possible. Ive been with NTL since 2002.

Tbh, you wont find a better package anywhere else...they all seem to throttle regardless of ISP. ADSL is throttled more so than Cable...8mb connections can be throttled to 200kbit/s in the evenings. Take it from me, I've had both.

welwynrose
04-05-2007, 11:11
Tbh, you wont find a better package anywhere else...they all seem to throttle regardless of ISP. ADSL is throttled more so than Cable...8mb connections can be throttled to 200kbit/s in the evenings. Take it from me, I've had both.

If you're willing to pay the money you can get a nice 2meg leased line for about £600 a month

kar
04-05-2007, 11:37
I just wonder what the electricity cost is of running your pc overnight vs the difference between 4mb and 10mb per month costs are?

Those suggesting leaving dls to overnight, it might well be more cost effective to upgrade :shocked:

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 11:38
I saved 20 quid ish a quarter turning my machines off overnight

peanut
04-05-2007, 11:40
Do people actually turn their PC's off??? I can't remember the last time I turned mine off, Probably January when I went for a short break for a few days.

I can't see the point really, Components can wear out quicker if you turn them on and off frequently, there is a debate about it so it must be minimal.

kar
04-05-2007, 11:46
I saved 20 quid ish a quarter turning my machines off overnight

Sounds about right, my PC is quite thirst for power. I wonder how much my lap top would use in comparison. Hmm. Sadly, might have to upgrade until september or something, because 750meg isn't enough. And I'm happy with 4MB though, so I'd never go over 3GB in peak times it'd be 20MB all the time for me I'd reckon.

J.D
04-05-2007, 12:03
I'm going nowhere ;).

I'm quite lucky in my location as I am under one quarter of a mile away from my exchange. I nearly went to Bulldog last year as it could save me £13 a month for 24/7 free calls and unlimited 8meg. I got it installed as I was all set for the move and on the day Bulldog was activated I phoned up Telewest to cancel my account. I told them about the distance I was from my exchange and the money I could save for slightly slower internet and faster uploads. Customer Services dropped the price to match and that was good enough for me to stay as my service was flawless, I needed to save money at the time and it was the only reason I was going to leave. So 2 hours after Bulldog was activated it was cancelled :rolleyes:.

I'd also like to add that I got a 7.6-7.8 Connection speed from that 8meg so just to strengthen that I'm in a good area.

I love Telewest (Warming up to VM still) and have been with them for many, many years. I always receive an excellent signal and always get top speeds. 114kb/s for ADSL per Meg and 126kb/s from Cable from my current location. I tried AOL when I moved to this house and it was a nightmare to get the LAN running. After getting told from AOL CS that it could not be managed without a router I found a program called PPPshar and next day I had it running (Who's the daddy AOL? ;)). With Cable it is simple and I'm happily gaming away soon with friends on a LAN while it was nothing but problematic with ADSL without a router (which I can't be a**ed with tbh).

The only thing that could make me leave is if my online gaming ping is effected. I know I said above that I've always had a solid connection but about 2 months ago I had major ping issues in games. I knew about all the trials and upgrades upcoming so I just put up with it for about a week and a half before contacting VM. I then found out there was a fault and I got told to phone back in 2 days if the problem wasn't sorted as they sent out engineers after my call. Next day everything was back to normal and latency in UK servers went to 50 and under opposed to 150+:Yikes:. The rep also said that if it wasn't fixed in two days then to phone back and he'd make sure it was looked at urgently as he left a note on the system.

I've always had great customer service from Telewest and Virgin. Top notch.

I can get BE and would probably get about a 22.8meg connection from 24meg (calculating what I got from Bulldog times three). I will only move over if latency starts effecting my game play as that what my line is mainly used for. If VM can keep to what I've always known with cable then they will continue to get my money.

I think the fair usage policy is perfect for BBXL. I'll download a TV show or two between peak hours on the odd occasion but that would add to between 400mb - 800mb therefore I would never get touched. I only fire up newsgroups after midnight as 10meg is fast enough for this. As a gamer I try to keep my line free at peak times like I always have done since day one as I know what it's like to get latency problems :mad:.

I do think the 20meg will be even better though. It will only take about 25mins at full speed during peak hours to reach 3Gb and cut the line hogs speed down so the network will have less strain on it more rapidly than before. Hopefully that should result in better speeds for us all.

Thank you to Druchii for helping me understand my signal properties also :tu:. It was great to hear I have a solid line, especially for a gamer ;).

Telewest/Virgin are excellent and I've been with them a long time and the service is outstanding. I'm in an area where I can get best of both worlds and who still gets my money?:D(speaks VOLUMES that). If the hogs learned to use there lines more efficiently then peak times wouldn't be so horrible for some people.

The End. :rolleyes:

xpod
04-05-2007, 12:06
Do people actually turn their PC's off??? I can't remember the last time I turned mine off, Probably January when I went for a short break for a few days.

I only occasinally leave the one machine on over night....when it`s dl`ing but it`s nothing to do with the cost of the electricity and more to do with safety.

.....and quite possibly a bit of paranoia.
The 3 machines we have in the house are all plugged into 4 socket extensions with numerous other peripherals(lots of) and with my 5 kids i`m very very conscious of whats left on at night.I go round the house at night unplugging everything.My lot would have extensions in the extensions if they could get away with it:)

Our neighbour and her grandchildren perished in a housefire many years ago and that was down to dodgy overloaded sockets it turned out so it`s always on the back of my mind.

I have no reason to be leaving pc`s on overnight anyway........yet:)

breamhunter
04-05-2007, 12:06
Hmmm I might of jumped the gun abit, just changed Nic adaptor and now pelting at full speed :confused:

I read elsewhere that peeps were having the same problems, wonder why though?

I run through a router so the Mac hasn`t changed when offered to VM`s servers.

Sirpingalot
04-05-2007, 12:13
I'm going nowhere ;).

I'm quite lucky in my location as I am under one quarter of a mile away from my exchange. I nearly went to Bulldog last year as it could save me £13 a month for 24/7 free calls and unlimited 8meg. I got it installed as I was all set for the move and on the day Bulldog was activated I phoned up Telewest to cancel my account. I told them about the distance I was from my exchange and the money I could save for slightly slower internet and faster uploads. Customer Services dropped the price to match and that was good enough for me to stay as my service was flawless, I needed to save money at the time and it was the only reason I was going to leave. So 2 hours after Bulldog was activated it was cancelled :rolleyes:.

I'd also like to add that I got a 7.6-7.8 Connection speed from that 8meg so just to strengthen that I'm in a good area.

I love Telewest (Warming up to VM still) and have been with them for many, many years. I always receive an excellent signal and always get top speeds. 114kb/s for ADSL per Meg and 126kb/s from Cable from my current location. I tried AOL when I moved to this house and it was a nightmare to get the LAN running. After getting told from AOL CS that it could not be managed without a router I found a program called PPPshar and next day I had it running (Who's the daddy AOL? ;)). With Cable it is simple and I'm happily gaming away soon with friends on a LAN while it was nothing but problematic with ADSL without a router (which I can't be a**ed with tbh).

The only thing that could make me leave is if my online gaming ping is effected. I know I said above that I've always had a solid connection but about 2 months ago I had major ping issues in games. I knew about all the trials and upgrades upcoming so I just put up with it for about a week and a half before contacting VM. I then found out there was a fault and I got told to phone back in 2 days if the problem wasn't sorted as they sent out engineers after my call. Next day everything was back to normal and latency in UK servers went to 50 and under opposed to 150+:Yikes:. The rep also said that if it wasn't fixed in two days then to phone back and he'd make sure it was looked at urgently as he left a note on the system.

I've always had great customer service from Telewest and Virgin. Top notch.

I can get BE and would probably get about a 22.8meg connection from 24meg (calculating what I got from Bulldog times three). I will only move over if latency starts effecting my game play as that what my line is mainly used for. If VM can keep to what I've always known with cable then they will continue to get my money.

I think the fair usage policy is perfect for BBXL. I'll download a TV show or two between peak hours on the odd occasion but that would add to between 400mb - 800mb therefore I would never get touched. I only fire up newsgroups after midnight as 10meg is fast enough for this. As a gamer I try to keep my line free at peak times like I always have done since day one as I know what it's like to get latency problems :mad:.

I do think the 20meg will be even better though. It will only take about 25mins at full speed during peak hours to reach 3Gb and cut the line hogs speed down so the network will have less strain on it more rapidly than before. Hopefully that should result in better speeds for us all.

Thank you to Druchii for helping me understand my signal properties also :tu:. It was great to hear I have a solid line, especially for a gamer ;).

Telewest/Virgin are excellent and I've been with them a long time and the service is outstanding. I'm in an area where I can get best of both worlds and who still gets my money?:D(speaks VOLUMES that). If the hogs learned to use there lines more efficiently then peak times wouldn't be so horrible for some people.

The End. :rolleyes:

Nice! Good to see you're happy, like me.:)

welwynrose
04-05-2007, 12:18
Nice! Good to see you're happy, like me.:)

I'm happy too but apparently that makes me a "fanboy" or a VM employee :shrug:

Sirpingalot
04-05-2007, 12:22
I'm happy too but apparently that makes me a "fanboy" or a VM employee :shrug:

>.< Silly people. I was reliably informed I wanted "to make intimate love to Virgin media"...:wtf:

kar
04-05-2007, 12:50
I agree, if I had 3GB to play with in peak I'd be happy too.

But 750 meg? Would those of you professing happiness with the new shaping regime (those on the 10meg plans) be happy if you got crippled to 5meg after doing 750meg?

Honestly?

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 12:54
wouldnt matter cuz it wont make a huge difference to me

Toto
04-05-2007, 13:00
I'm staying.

My friend in Leeds suffers terribly with contention problems on ADSL after 6PM, her connection speeds drops by over 50%, and with her boys playing online games....well you can only guess the problem.

She has no way of getting cable, lives quite far from her local exchange, and would give her right arm for a stable 2Mb connection, and would pay good money for it.

Simple fact of the matter is that despite the traffic management, VM cable is the best around, no other service comes close IMHO, I will be staying....and looking forwrd to getting some better speeds in the eveings now the pee takers are being managed.

Go ahead and flame me if you wish, but I for one think its about time that VM did this, for the sake of the 95% of us.

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 14:24

---------- Post added at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Oh, get back under your bridge. Contrary to what you may think the majority of people don't cane their connection 24/7. The sooner we get rid of these idiots who steal all the bandwidth (and affect that of the majority of people) the better. Sod you sir.

Stealing the bandwidth? do me a favour.
If two people are on the same speeds they are paying the same subs, unless they work for vm, so are entitled as each other to the unlimited broadband vm spout their mouths off about.
The problem is with vm not investing, choosing instead to waste money paying off top people and court cases.

Hugh
04-05-2007, 14:29
Stealing the bandwidth? do me a favour.
If two people are on the same speeds they are paying the same subs, unless they work for vm, so are entitled as each other to the unlimited broadband vm spout their mouths off about.
The problem is with vm not investing, choosing instead to waste money paying off top people and court cases.
arcam, you appear (and I can only go by the emotive language in your posts) to really, really hate VM; did they p*ss on your chips or something? :erm:

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 14:39
arcam, you appear (and I can only go by the emotive language in your posts) to really, really hate VM; did they p*ss on your chips or something? :erm:

foreverwar, I will answer your question, if I feel it relevant, when you ask the same question to others here who are equally p***** off with vm.
So please stop the baiting, thankyou.

Paul
04-05-2007, 14:39
The problem is with vm not investing:confused: So all the network upgrades each week are not VM "investing" then ?

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 14:41
:confused: So all the network upgrades each week are not VM "investing" then ?

Where? :dunce::erm:
Upgrades? I would call it catching up.

Toto
04-05-2007, 14:51
It isn't a case of investing, its all about making sure that those who constantly cane their service at peak times are educated.

Throwing money at the infrastructure to cope with the top 5% belting the hell out of the residential network isn't the right thing to do. VM, nor any other network in the UK has a bottomless pot of cash to spend on keeping up with those who think its fine to get home from work, download loads of ISO's (tounge-in-cheek) and do all the other things..

The network capacity has to be managed.

We may not like it, but there you have it, Hobsons Choice.

Albeit a little late, but at least VM have the stones to admit they are doing it, and the reasons why.

welwynrose
04-05-2007, 15:00
why download an ISO when a avi file will do for most things ;)

pachelbel
04-05-2007, 15:11
Where? :dunce::erm:
Upgrades? I would call it catching up.

All ISP's have problems whether it is BT, VM or anyone else. My niece cannot get cable and her AOL connection is dire in the evening. Because she lives far from her exchange and it has not been upgraded her bb is unusable in the evening. She's had that many BT engineers out to try and improve things but they all say that until the exchange is upgraded it will be poor. Your general attack on VM is pointless as the majority of customers have good bb and we all have issues regardless of which ISP provides the service. Not all of the BT network is the dogs bo**ocks just like not all of VM's.

Uncle Peter
04-05-2007, 15:18

It's something I've been pondering over the past few months as I'm a regular homeworker and an extra 3 quid seems a far better deal than I've seen from many of the adsl providers business tariffs. Running an RDP session back to base for eg. you don't half notice the slowdown after 5PM. Last time I looked into it though the best offering was 4MB.

welwynrose
04-05-2007, 16:03
It's something I've been pondering over the past few months as I'm a regular homeworker and an extra 3 quid seems a far better deal than I've seen from many of the adsl providers business tariffs. Running an RDP session back to base for eg. you don't half notice the slowdown after 5PM. Last time I looked into it though the best offering was 4MB.

have a look here

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband.aspx

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 16:13
All ISP's have problems whether it is BT, VM or anyone else. My niece cannot get cable and her AOL connection is dire in the evening. Because she lives far from her exchange and it has not been upgraded her bb is unusable in the evening. She's had that many BT engineers out to try and improve things but they all say that until the exchange is upgraded it will be poor. Your general attack on VM is pointless as the majority of customers have good bb and we all have issues regardless of which ISP provides the service. Not all of the BT network is the dogs bo**ocks just like not all of VM's.

That post is irrelevant in the face of the " unlimited broadband " service offered by vm.
Customers are paying vm, not bt or sky or whoever you care to name.
VM need to get their act together, starting by writing to every customer telling them about the new policies, and giving them 30 days to quit without penalty, their new rules are imo a change in the contract.

alferret
04-05-2007, 16:14

I totally agree

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 16:17
It isn't a case of investing, its all about making sure that those who constantly cane their service at peak times are educated.

Throwing money at the infrastructure to cope with the top 5% belting the hell out of the residential network isn't the right thing to do. VM, nor any other network in the UK has a bottomless pot of cash to spend on keeping up with those who think its fine to get home from work, download loads of ISO's (tounge-in-cheek) and do all the other things..

The network capacity has to be managed.

We may not like it, but there you have it, Hobsons Choice.

Albeit a little late, but at least VM have the stones to admit they are doing it, and the reasons why.

And they need to notify every customer of vm of the change in the contract with the offer of quitting with no penalties.
That sounds reasonable, do you think?

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

I totally agree

And would you " agree " that all customers should be notified in writing of the change in the t&c's? and offered a no penalty quit?

welwynrose
04-05-2007, 16:19
to be honest if this is truely only going to affect 5% of users that means 95% of customers won't even notice that anything has changed expect perhaps there is less congestion in their area

Toto
04-05-2007, 16:24
And they need to notify every customer of vm of the change in the contract with the offer of quitting with no penalties.
That sounds reasonable, do you think?

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

And would you " agree " that all customers should be notified in writing of the change in the t&c's? and offered a no penalty quit?

There is no change in the terms and conditions, not in the AUP policy, no change, no letter, no point.

VM have made a public announcement giving details of a new traffic management system, as per te T&C's / AUP policy

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 16:27
There is no change in the terms and conditions, not in the AUP policy, no change, no letter, no point.

VM have made a public announcement giving details of a new traffic management system, as per te T&C's / AUP policy

Have to agree to disagree, there is a change.

alferret
04-05-2007, 16:27

Not bothered really m8, I DL off peak and use sensibly during peak hrs and have done for years so its no real change for me.

If VM choose to mail-shot all BB users then where would that cost come from?

They could send out a mass mail, but then would that be classed as spam ;)

Rone
04-05-2007, 16:30
"Originally Posted by Paul
If people controlled their P2P activity better this sort of shaping wouldn't occur, it's only all the little idiots that download anything and everything that they can find 24/7 as fast as possible without controlling their network traffic that are causing the problems".

I agree, i cant imagine anything being that impossible to do without, that cant be got during off-peak hours. And no, i dont like the shaping one bit, but if thats what it takes to be able to even browse reasonably, then so be it.
And no, i wont be moving again, i've tried the competition, and most of it sucks. Unless Virgin-NTL do something really extrordinary to the service, then i'm staying put.

Chicken
04-05-2007, 16:32
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html)
"We reserve the right to monitor and control data volume and/or types of traffic transmitted via the interactive services on your Virgin TV and/or Internet access. In the event that you exceed any usage allowance applicable to your Internet access or your use does not comply with the 'acceptable use policy' which you can read on the Virgin Media website, we reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to reduce, suspend or terminate your Internet access. During any time of reduction or suspension, you will remain liable for the payment of your original level of Internet access charge. We also reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to re-grade your Internet access to a different speed and/or usage allowance at the appropriate charge. If we make such changes we will notify you as soon as possible."

a) What usage allowance? There hasn't been one before. Now there are defined 'limits'. That's a change in the contract.

b) "If we make such changes we will notify you as soon as possible" - if they don't notify you they are breaking the terms of their own contract.

c) "at the appropriate charge" - You should be paying less if your connection speed drops.

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 16:34
Not bothered really m8, I DL off peak and use sensibly during peak hrs and have done for years so its no real change for me.

If VM choose to mail-shot all BB users then where would that cost come from?

They could send out a mass mail, but then would that be classed as spam ;)

So your attitude is I am alright jack?
Where would the cost come from? its irrelevant, they are duty bound to inform customers in writing, and as far as I see things offer the customers the chance to continue using the service under its new guise and be seen to have accepted the change, or a no penalty quit option.
That is fair and balanced I think.
And spam? I get spam every other week from vm it goes in the bin with the rest of the junk mail.
The way around that one is to individually address each letter to the customer concerned with the words on the envelope " changes to your t&c's "

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html)

a) What usage allowance? There hasn't been one before. Now there are defined 'limits'. That's a change in the contract.

b) "If we make such changes we will notify you as soon as possible" - if they don't notify you they are breaking the terms of their own contract.

c) "at the appropriate charge" - You should be paying less if your connection speed drops.

you know the problem with your post? it makes sense :tu:

Toto
04-05-2007, 16:38
For the sake of repetition, they have not changed their T&C's, so the don't have too......anyone?

That's right, inform you :)

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 16:43
For the sake of repetition, they have not changed their T&C's, so the don't have too......anyone?

If they make any change to the service they were previously providing, and can it be said that the announcement they have made regarding " shaping " is a change? I would say yes, therefore they need to inform by letter not through this website, and give all customers a get out with no penalty.

epson
04-05-2007, 16:45

I pay for 24/7 i expect to cane,so yes,i'm ok jack.

Toto
04-05-2007, 16:49
If they make any change to the service they were previously providing, and can it be said that the announcement they have made regarding " shaping " is a change? I would say yes, therefore they need to inform by letter not through this website, and give all customers a get out with no penalty.

But they have not made a change, they are enforcing their "Fair Use" policy.

:)

Virgin Broadband
Fair usage policy applies. Minimum computer requirements apply. Speed of internet connection assumes components working at optimum speed and capacity. Security features not available to Mac users. Broadband Extras subject to availability and only available to customers who subscribe to our M, L and XL broadband packages. Subscription charges for the M broadband package are applied in full each month and cannot be pro-rated in the event of cancellation part way through a month.

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 16:50

I pay for 24/7 i expect to cane,so yes,i'm ok jack.

Listen troll, what does it matter how people use the service? are you paying more to get 10mb than I would to get that speed? no, unless as I posted before you are either working for vm or on a discount package, so crawl back under the shell.

Chicken
04-05-2007, 16:51

Yes its true they haven't changed their T&C's. They have though changed the service they provide. Their own T&C's state they need to inform users of such changes.

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 16:52
But they have not made a change, they are enforcing their "Fair Use" policy.

They have made a change.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

Yes its true they haven't changed their T&C's. They have though changed the service they provide. Their own T&C's state they need to inform users of such changes.

Thankyou.

alferret
04-05-2007, 16:55
So your attitude is I am alright jack?
Where would the cost come from? its irrelevant, they are duty bound to inform customers in writing, and as far as I see things offer the customers the chance to continue using the service under its new guise and be seen to have accepted the change, or a no penalty quit option.
That is fair and balanced I think.
And spam? I get spam every other week from vm it goes in the bin with the rest of the junk mail.
The way around that one is to individually address each letter to the customer concerned with the words on the envelope " changes to your t&c's "

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Yes you are absolutely right, it is a case of I’m alright Jack. Hi I’m Jack and I’m FAN DABBY DOZEY :p
Using my common sense allows me to continue to use my BB how I want to use it & for the 5% who abuse the network for downloading hundreds of Linux distro’s there is no one to blame but themselves.

So VM are limiting peak traffic, good on them.
So VM have not alerted customers to changes in service. I for one wont loose any sleep over the fact I have not been sent a letter, I applaud them for doing their bit for not killing off any tree’s. In fact I think all the hot air people are expelling over this slight change to usage should each plant a tree or 2 to offset their venting.

Have a great VM day, hug a tree and feel real good about yourself.

Druchii
04-05-2007, 17:01
I've no choice, BT want hundred quid or so to reconnect due to needing a new line on the outside of my house... So, Cable til the end in this house, even when i'm gone.

J.D
04-05-2007, 18:24
I think you need a chill pill arcamalpha2004 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/2839.html). :erm: :D

I think we are all capable of finding our own problems with the service and act appropriately. Do you think you projecting your beef with Virgin all over this forum is going to change anybody's mind? :rolleyes:. Right, you have a problem with Virgin and I'm sorry to hear about that but that's your problem. For you to come and try to bring negativity to all the users who are content and scare away people thinking of signing up is just silly IMHO. Not everybody shares your view on this and are happy to keep the super fast services (for the lucky ones).

My line is perfect and if it stays that way then Virgin have my money. I download after midnight when I'm in my bed and game in the peak hours. I occasionally get the odd TV show I've missed through Newsgroups at peak hours but even 4 episodes would only be 1600mb and I could still game and surf happily at full speed. I don't think it's bad at all.

As soon as anything effects my gaming and it doesn't get resolved over an acceptable period of time then I'll choose another ISP as I'm under a quarter mile from my exchange. I've had ADSL twice and received a top connection from a 1meg and 8meg line (AOL & Bulldog) and still I'm with cable. I'm in an excellent area for both Cable and ADSL and Cable still performs a lot better even though I'm so close to my exchange.

I've had Telewest for a long time (pre broadband;)) with only a short break when I moved house. I know what is better after extensive use and tests of my services. So please don't keep posting negative flame filled posts just because you and VM are no longer friends. Why should we suffer? :confused:.

Bill C
04-05-2007, 18:35
Just had a look at the names in the i am off poll. Any one want to start a book on how many of those saying there going are still wilth virgin in 2 months time :LOL:.

There are users in the i am off list who stated they were going to leave last time on the cap thread and they are still here ;)

RXP
04-05-2007, 18:36
Yah, sadly there's not alot of choice unless you're in a decent Be/Sky area. Virgin cover most of the UK, which is great.

ecksmen
04-05-2007, 18:38
It depends on how the limits effect me, I may end up reducing to the slowest connection as I don't think this 3gb limit during peak times will best suit my brousing needs even though I don't use up much bandwidth, but speed throttling when I do need the connection is not something I like the sound of for nearly £40 / month.

J.D
04-05-2007, 18:42
Yah, sadly there's not alot of choice unless you're in a decent Be/Sky area. Virgin cover most of the UK, which is great.

I'm in one of those areas and Cable outperforms it :D. Hence Virgin gettin' me pennies :tu:.

Bill C
04-05-2007, 18:47

I did leave for 3 months last year and went to ukonline which is now Sky. Unfortunately they could not provide me with what i would call a broadband connection and i dumped them after only 3 months. They tried to keep me to contract but i had logged fault after fault after fault and they could not fix it so they let me go. I have worked on both ADSL and cable and i know which one i prefer and its not because i work for them, It's because they can offer me a better speed than any other provider.

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Sadly that can also be Virgins problem. Most people will go cable because they will get a fairly good speed. This means that cable will need to upgrade there systems or suffer problems and if they DONT upgrade on time they will end up upsetting there customers.

Please note that was a personal view and is not me making a company statement. :) " Please note what i have just said PaulH"

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 18:56
I did leave for 3 months last year and went to ukonline which is now Sky. Unfortunately they could not provide me with what i would call a broadband connection and i dumped them after only 3 months. They tried to keep me to contract but i had logged fault after fault after fault and they could not fix it so they let me go. I have worked on both ADSL and cable and i know which one i prefer and its not because i work for them, It's because they can offer me a better speed than any other provider.

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Sadly that can also be Virgins problem. Most people will go cable because they will get a fairly good speed. This means that cable will need to upgrade there systems or suffer problems and if they DONT upgrade on time they will end up upsetting there customers.

Please note that was a personal view and is not me making a company statement. :) " Please note what i have just said PaulH"

I also tried ukonline and nothing but trouble there is a thread of my woes someplace on here

crowlord
04-05-2007, 19:01
but of course it make perfect sense to leave a company that has FINALLY clearly delineated its policies to another at a slower spped and all the hassle that reconnecting BT involves.

Hell I'm on the phone now to get my line reconnected so I can struggle to achieve a DL of 6Mb if Im lucky with a shadowy "Fair Use Policy" ORRRRR

Stay where I am an moderate my behaviour getting a 20Mb DL in the bargain........

Tricky one that.

Ohhh I didn't mention the complete lack of support when your ADSL connection/ modem screw up as opposed to the (admittedly imperfect) ownership that VM take for all their connections and equipment?

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 20:24
I think you need a chill pill arcamalpha2004 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/2839.html). :erm: :D

I think we are all capable of finding our own problems with the service and act appropriately. Do you think you projecting your beef with Virgin all over this forum is going to change anybody's mind? :rolleyes:. Right, you have a problem with Virgin and I'm sorry to hear about that but that's your problem. For you to come and try to bring negativity to all the users who are content and scare away people thinking of signing up is just silly IMHO. Not everybody shares your view on this and are happy to keep the super fast services (for the lucky ones).

My line is perfect and if it stays that way then Virgin have my money. I download after midnight when I'm in my bed and game in the peak hours. I occasionally get the odd TV show I've missed through Newsgroups at peak hours but even 4 episodes would only be 1600mb and I could still game and surf happily at full speed. I don't think it's bad at all.

As soon as anything effects my gaming and it doesn't get resolved over an acceptable period of time then I'll choose another ISP as I'm under a quarter mile from my exchange. I've had ADSL twice and received a top connection from a 1meg and 8meg line (AOL & Bulldog) and still I'm with cable. I'm in an excellent area for both Cable and ADSL and Cable still performs a lot better even though I'm so close to my exchange.

I've had Telewest for a long time (pre broadband;)) with only a short break when I moved house. I know what is better after extensive use and tests of my services. So please don't keep posting negative flame filled posts just because you and VM are no longer friends. Why should we suffer? :confused:.

No chill pill required thanks and I would thank you not to be so bloody patronising.
Changing people's minds? what are you on about?
I am merely pointing out that vm are in the wrong as far as I am concerned over their latest attempt to rip people off, now if you do not like what I write you can choose not to read, that clear enough?

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 20:34
No chill pill required thanks and I would thank you not to be so bloody patronising.
I am merely pointing out that vm are in the wrong as far as I am concerned over their latest attempt to rip people off, now if you do not like what I write you can choose not to read, that clear enough?

I hope you find what you want in ADSL land I seriously hope your one of the lucky ones

My experience of unbundled ADSL 6.5 meg all day to much noise on my line that could not be fixed meant connection dropped every day ironically between 4 and midnight. Not shaped dropped as in no connection no gaming no downloads nothing. Thats my experience I hope yours does not match if it does then HA HA

futard
04-05-2007, 20:39
As I understand it most if not all ISP's are doing some kind of trafic shaping, and VM is by far not the worst for it, I have a friend who is a heavy downloader and has gone thru 5 different ADSL providers upto now but once he has been limited it stays in effect for days at a time so 4 hours of limited or capped off internet seems more than fair compared to the competition.

While this can be a bit of a pain to users who cant stay up past midnight or get online before 4pm it doesnt mean the end of the world because there are tons of download managers around now that will schedule ur downloads to start after a certain time, all you need to do is leave your computer running while you sleep/work/goto school whatever the case may be.

All none cable customers have had to put up with this limiting up until now and now its our turn to join the pack, basically there is no isp out there that I know of that doesnt do this kind of throttling in some way, shape or form.

I for 1 wont be going anywhere, and IMO people who want to migrate to another isp are just over reacting and will end up with the same if not worse limits using a different isp.

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 20:48
I hope you find what you want in ADSL land I seriously hope your one of the lucky ones

My experience of unbundled ADSL 6.5 meg all day to much noise on my line that could not be fixed meant connection dropped every day ironically between 4 and midnight. Not shaped dropped as in no connection no gaming no downloads nothing. Thats my experience I hope yours does not match if it does then HA HA

Zingle;) where did I say I was moving to ADSL?
I am commenting on vm's change to the contract, and as yet nobody from vm has put up a reason as to why customers who want to leave without penalty should not be able to.
If vm see this new way of doing things as the way forward it is only right that customers be informed as in line with the t&c's and have the choice, after all the bearded one wants choice for all.

Retrovertigo
04-05-2007, 20:57
I'm shopping around now. I have wanted to leave a few times - and admittedly, the stability that cable can afford over ADSL have kept me here for now.

Someone said above that most ISP's are doing some kind of traffic shaping now, but they are a damn sight less costly. Let's not forget that as most ISP's have dropped prices, Virgin are increasing. They may claim to have upped speeds, but if you are a reasonably heavy user, that speed increase is useless. So you pay more but get less.

Nearly £40 a month should, these days, get me exactly what I want from a broadband provider. It shouldn't bring with it new terms and conditions that favour them squeezing more money and offering less in return.

Edit: I also find it amsusing when the zealots rush to Virgins rescue, citing ADSL as being flakey, dropping out etc etc. Out of all my relatives and friends, I am the only one on cable, and during the past few months even my uncle on TalkTalk has enjoyed a nice stable connection and he pays bugger all (once he switched from USB to ethernet, which I suspect your average Joe doesn't do). My other freinds use Xbox Live and play well into the night, with never a dropout or any sign of bad lag. It's all down to personal experience so laughing at someone if they find they switch to ADSL and experience someone else's woes is bordering on childish.

rogerdraig
04-05-2007, 20:59
hmm cant vote as i would say i would leave if it affects my use of the service but not if it doesnt

i think this is being done ahead of a review on unfair terms and conditions that office of fair trading is doing at the moment so as to get it out of the way hoping it wont be noticed later

but i think virgin is playing a dangerous game they have already lost my and others on thier tv platform ( though i now get thier tv almost for free as well as sky lol ( long story ) )

but as they push off the high users they also push of those who a lot of people ask for advice on what to get for bb etc

Bill C
04-05-2007, 21:04
Zingle;) where did I say I was moving to ADSL?
I am commenting on vm's change to the contract, and as yet nobody from vm has put up a reason as to why customers who want to leave without penalty should not be able to.
If vm see this new way of doing things as the way forward it is only right that customers be informed as in line with the t&c's and have the choice, after all the bearded one wants choice for all.

But you did vote that you were off ?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/polls/bar2-l.gifhttp://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/polls/bar2.gifhttp://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/polls/bar2-r.gif Albie (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/7106.html), apduk (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/18529.html), arcamalpha2004 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/2839.html), axlgnr (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/5355.html), billax (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30146.html), boodykaka (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/28314.html), bp1888 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/26507.html), CrC-3rr0r (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/21672.html), crunchiepants (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29228.html), DarkGashX (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/24772.html), dionbwfc (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/3791.html), dooper786 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/4210.html), ECW_Original (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29336.html), ginge51 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/23980.html), GreenTmean (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30126.html), helmutcheese (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29994.html), kar (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/22784.html), kibblerok (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/8003.html), mark233a (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29464.html), Mark_2k7 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30099.html), meangreenie (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29928.html), mwd500 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/2052.html), rickyg01 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/14877.html), RXP (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/21698.html), shepz2 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30117.html), SpyJoe (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/10831.html), summit (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/28452.html), Toilet-Duck (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/18063.html), vlady (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/18434.html)

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 21:07

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/polls/bar2-l.gifhttp://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/polls/bar2.gifhttp://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/polls/bar2-r.gif Albie (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/7106.html), apduk (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/18529.html), arcamalpha2004 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/2839.html), axlgnr (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/5355.html), billax (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30146.html), boodykaka (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/28314.html), bp1888 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/26507.html), CrC-3rr0r (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/21672.html), crunchiepants (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29228.html), DarkGashX (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/24772.html), dionbwfc (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/3791.html), dooper786 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/4210.html), ECW_Original (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29336.html), ginge51 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/23980.html), GreenTmean (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30126.html), helmutcheese (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29994.html), kar (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/22784.html), kibblerok (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/8003.html), mark233a (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29464.html), Mark_2k7 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30099.html), meangreenie (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/29928.html), mwd500 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/2052.html), rickyg01 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/14877.html), RXP (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/21698.html), shepz2 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/30117.html), SpyJoe (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/10831.html), summit (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/28452.html), Toilet-Duck (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/18063.html), vlady (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../members/18434.html)

Just wanted to make up the numbers bill, like the ones who voted they were staying, as such the poll is futile.

Bill C
04-05-2007, 21:09

So that would be 2 too my knowledge that have posted there off but are not ?

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

Just wanted to make up the numbers bill, like the ones who voted they were staying, as such the poll is futile.

Its people who vote incorrectly on purpose that make it futile ;)

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 21:11
So that would be 2 too my knowledge that have posted there off but are not ?

And how many have said that they are staying but are right now banging their heads?
The poll is not representable of the whole of vm's BB customers, which would produce a different result.

Bill C
04-05-2007, 21:17
And how many have said that they are staying but are right now banging their heads?
The poll is not representable of the whole of vm's BB customers, which would produce a different result.

:LOL:

And of course in your world they would all vote they were leaving. :)

I posted before that there are the same users posting they are leaving who posted they would leave in the last capping thread YET they are still on Virgin and STILL shouting there going to leave. Tell you what.

Take the list that i have just quoted and if 50 % of those are no longer using Virgin in 60 days i will give £10.00 to a charity of the admins choice.

arcamalpha2004
04-05-2007, 21:20

I posted before that there are the same users posting they are leaving who posted they would leave in the last capping thread YET they are still on Virgin and STILL shouting there going to leave. Tell you what.

Take the list that i have just quoted and if 50 % of those are no longer using Virgin in 60 days i will give £10.00 to a charity of the admins choice.

And what of the ones who said they were staying?:)

Bill C
04-05-2007, 21:23
And what of the ones who said they were staying?:)

Ok then if 50 % of those saying they will stay have left i will do the same :)

Why dont you put your money where your mouth is :)

alferret
04-05-2007, 21:29
[BAND PLAYING]
Always tease tease tease
You’re happy when I’m on my knees
One day is fine, next day is black
So if you want me off your back
Well come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An’ if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know!
[/BAND PLAYING]

:Yikes:

rogerdraig
04-05-2007, 21:34
Ok then if 50 % of those saying they will stay have left i will do the same :)

Why dont you put your money where your mouth is :)

to be fair with these votes though i think it depends if your affected

i was always against capps refused to go onto the new speeds when they were being capped but i stayed with ntl untill they relented and again with this if it affects me i will go but only if it does

i did the same for tv we went when sky 1 went ( though virgin still now gives me tv for almost free ( guess they want the customer figures to stay up ) )

so though i agree that many voting may not do what they voted it doesnt mean that they dont mean to if it really does have an affect

well now that i have confused myself i am off to kill some dragons :D

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 21:52

so whats the point in that??? You vote your leaving once your contract is up then say your not so why should anyone take any notice of what your type? Would I be unreasonable to think its bull plop your speaking

Paul
04-05-2007, 22:37
The poll is not representable of the whole of vm's BB customers, which would produce a different result.Yes indeed, the vote would be even more in favour of staying, since the vast majority of customers are quite happy with their service and will still be with VM this time next year (just as they have been year after year in the past). Do not mistake the vocal few on forums for the millions of satisfied vm customers.

Toto
04-05-2007, 22:58
Great reading this is, really puts me in the mood for a sandwich. :)

danielf
04-05-2007, 23:02
Yes indeed, the vote would be even more in favour of staying, since the vast majority of customers are quite happy with their service and will still be with VM this time next year (just as they have been year after year in the past). Do not mistake the vocal few on forums for the millions of satisfied vm customers.

Exactly. I would not be surprised at all if the majority of customers would struggle to download 350 meg a day, let alone 3gig.

Toto
04-05-2007, 23:04
Last time I downloaded 3Gig was the LOTR beta test, wow did my 20Mb connection come in handy then :)

Sirpingalot
04-05-2007, 23:09
I have absolutely no intentions of moving. Not when I consider my connection is primarily for gaming, and ADSL would spark up latency issues. I like having the advantage in games ;)

A good connection is a must for Gears of War.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Teh only time in the fore-seeable future that I'm considering consuming more than 3 gigs is when the Halo 3 beta is released (2x Xbox 360 to satisfy), and even then it'll only mean limits will be imposed on that day.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Well, I mean, I believe it'll be more than 1.5 gB per copy of beta.

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 23:10
Yes indeed, the vote would be even more in favour of staying, since the vast majority of customers are quite happy with their service and will still be with VM this time next year (just as they have been year after year in the past). Do not mistake the vocal few on forums for the millions of satisfied vm customers.

the irony of course is this is a help forum aimed mainly at VM customers with problems and you gotta love the vote here 3 quarters are staying and a quarter say they are gonna leave one of which said he was leaving "to make the numbers up" its gotta be a :tu: to VM

2||Para
04-05-2007, 23:21
The grass isnt always greener on the other side of the fence ;)

Ste...
04-05-2007, 23:30
Staying. The only other option is ADSL, ha! I wouldn't go near it.

Rone
05-05-2007, 10:02

Your moneys safe Bill.

Shame for the charity, but there you go.

J.D
05-05-2007, 10:28

Loud and clear enough sunshine ;). :rolleyes:

foreverwar, I will answer your question, if I feel it relevant, when you ask the same question to others here who are equally p***** off with vm.

You have already stated you are p***** off with VM in this same thread.

It is so bloody obvious with your posts. If you don't like the new policies put into place then just move for crying out loud. This thread is called "So who is OFF when their contract expires". You've said you're unhappy with the traffic shaping which could have something to do with this thread if you were leaving but you're not are you?.

If you want to have your voice heard then create another thread. Please tell me the relevance in your rant towards the threads question?.

I'm not telling you to shut up or anything as everyone is entitled to speak. I am just stating that you are clearly posting off topic about your problems with the service changes which IMO belongs to another thread.

I've already stated that if I'm ever unhappy with my service then I'll just move. Simple as that. I wouldn't go wasting my time to alert the UK that VM are not doing right by them. I do not insult people's intelligence thinking they can't work out if the service they are getting is acceptable or not. Life isn't permanent you know :rolleyes:.

Bill C
05-05-2007, 10:42
Your moneys safe Bill.

Shame for the charity, but there you go.

ahardie
05-05-2007, 15:40
I've already stated that if I'm ever unhappy with my service then I'll just move. Simple as that. I wouldn't go wasting my time to alert the UK that VM are not doing right by them. I do not insult people's intelligence thinking they can't work out if the service they are getting is acceptable or not. Life isn't permanent you know :rolleyes:.

Couldn't have put it better. As has been said, some people in these forums talk about VM as if they were the devil incarnate but they dont move to another provider. I would be off like a shot if I were that unhappy. Maybe they just get a kick from moaning?

Hugh
05-05-2007, 15:56

arcam, if it appeared to you I was baiting, I apologise. btw, I wasn't asking other posters, I was asking you; and here is why.

I actually get quite concerned when I see the intense level of venom and bile that appears on this forum, often unleavened with humour - it appears by the constant deluge of vituperation and poison against anything that VM do, that some posters have a serious problem (with Virgin Media or one of it's predecessors). and feel the need to take any opportunity to spit bile at any mention of VM or anyone who dares disagree with their view of VM.

I have had issues with VM/NTL/Bell Cablemedia in the past, but I got them sorted out, and moved on from those issues; if I hadn't got them sorted out, I would have moved on from VM/NTL/Bell Cablemedia.

It cannot be good for anyone to have that level of hatred boiling up inside them constantly, because it will affect them more than it will affect VM. I understand that some people have had shoddy service, and do not get the speeds they are promised (for normal day-to-day use, not constant downloading of illegal copies of software/films/tv programs - no sympathy for them), and can understand them getting annoyed, and wanting to leave - what I can't understand is anyone being so unhappy with their service that they feel the need to take any opportunity to "bad mouth" VM and its services, but still stay on as a customer.

Rone
05-05-2007, 16:34
I think anyone who has given adsl a real try [myself= Tiscali, Nildram, Bulldog] have found when the company is good, ie Nidram, the actual speed and reliability have,nt matched Virgin\NTL for either.
I am one of those people who have gone elsewhere and yet here i still am, for one thing there is no better deal, yes there's cheaper, and if you live inside the BT exchange, maybe there's faster, but if there is i have'nt found it, and all my friends are keeping very quiet about it.
If anyones that unhappy i would say go and try something else, just make sure you can get out of any long contract in a hurry. ;)

Sirpingalot
06-05-2007, 23:14
I agree.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Tiscali = abysmal