PDA

View Full Version : IP Address changed?!

Sirpingalot
02-05-2007, 08:23
I noticed on speedtest.net my IP address has changed; I'm not sure why, could some one clarify for me? Could it be something to due with a blacklist, or the upgrade?

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

It actually changed to this new one on the 29th, then changed back to the old one on the 30th and now it's back to the new one on the 1st? It's got to be something to do with being blacklisted, or the network upgrade, surely?

epson
02-05-2007, 08:40
I hope to god it's a upgrade for you,this upgrade lark is killing you kid.

Sirpingalot
02-05-2007, 08:41
>.<

Paul K
02-05-2007, 08:45
A lot of the time IP changes like that are to do with upgrades or network resegmentation/ balancing etc.

awibble
02-05-2007, 08:48
by chance, your not using 2 different computers? or plugging directly into the modem sometimes, and useing a router other times are you?

I have found that if i connect direct, i get one IP (the same one everytime) and if i use the router, and get the other IP (again, the same one everytime).

Sirpingalot
02-05-2007, 08:51
I usually connect through a router, but this time I've connected direct to the modem. Even so, before I had a router, I connected direct to the modem and got the same IP that the router gives me, so I wouldn't imagine it's down to the router.

Zee
02-05-2007, 08:55
IPs change a lot.

If that IP address is not available then it will give you a new IP, if the one you made before is available again, then it'll give you that one

Muppetz
02-05-2007, 11:54
I usually connect through a router, but this time I've connected direct to the modem. Even so, before I had a router, I connected direct to the modem and got the same IP that the router gives me, so I wouldn't imagine it's down to the router.

My Cable Broadband gives me a different IP depending on what device I plug into the modem. If i have the router plugged in i get xx.xx.xx.xx and if i plug in direct then with a laptop then i get yy.yy.yy.yy.

I recently wanted to try changing my IP, so I changed the MAC address on the router, and after reseting everything I then got a new IP zz.zz.zz.zz

So looks like the IP address is assigned to the MAC address that you plug into the modem - thats why your address has changed, because you are now plugged directly into the modem.

awibble
02-05-2007, 13:25
I think its worth remembering tho, that we dont pay for a static IP address, so we shouldnt expect one :)