PDA

View Full Version : Phone Not Working Correctly

mikejones_uk
01-05-2007, 10:27
I have a strange issue with my phone, and I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on the problem, or may have experienced similar symptoms.
The issue started yesterday evening (30th April), when I attempted to make a call out. Note I'm using a BT Synergy 3200 cordless phone.
Symptoms as follows:
I type the number in, but upon pressing the handset button to dial I get a dial tone, followed by the bleepy-bleepys as it attempts to dial the number, Then I just get a constant beep tone!
Trying to phone my landline from my mobile I get a "Number not in use message"
I've unplugged the only other device that was plugged into the socket, which was an old analogue modem. Now it's just the phone plugged in without any splitters etc.
I've tried power-cycling the phone, but still no use!
The weird thing is I managed to phone VM's 151 number from the self same phone to report the fault with no problem. They've arranged an engineer visit, but not sure what that's going to solve! After all if I can call 151 what could the issue possibly be hardware wise.:erm:
I had a similar issue a few months ago where I couldn't make any outgoing calls. After calling 151 this turned out to be that a total block on all calls had been applied to my number. This was most odd and not something I'd done - and yes, I'm the sole occupant in my house!:erm:
I wonder if this could be the case again! Whatever the case it wasn't something noticed by VM's call centre when I reported the problem last night.

Any info would be much appreciated!

dontpannic
01-05-2007, 13:48
Sounds like the account has been barred. They will still let you ring 150 / 151 and the emergency numbers through it, but call them and find out.

Wod
01-05-2007, 21:08
"Number not in use message" don't waste your time, doubt you can do anything your end. Just leave it to VM. Probably a mistake on their end.

colin-bennett
01-05-2007, 23:08
Sounds like the account has been barred. They will still let you ring 150 / 151 and the emergency numbers through it, but call them and find out.

If the account restricted you would still recieve incoming calls.
Why not try another phone to see if this second phone works.
Surprised VM not advised this before schedule tech..

Nedkelly
01-05-2007, 23:23
Belive me they love to send techs out for simple datafill problems and switch problems had 2 today which could of been fixed over the phone :mad:

colin-bennett
01-05-2007, 23:36
Belive me they love to send techs out for simple datafill problems and switch problems had 2 today which could of been fixed over the phone :mad:
I am ex twest. Recently the booking of techs for simple faults seems to be increasing.
However today when we req help,, the self install team did us proud and IT turned around a RTD problem in 3 hours
Not all is bad.

Nedkelly
01-05-2007, 23:41
Yesterday 6 jobs customer can not dial out all charge group problems .All had notes the same notes customer can not dial out switch checker ok tech req .They were very easy jobs :)

colin-bennett
01-05-2007, 23:55
Yesterday 6 jobs customer can not dial out all charge group problems .All had notes the same notes customer can not dial out switch checker ok tech req .They were very easy jobs :)

Quick question if I may.
Are you ex NTL as charge group problems not (as far as I am Aware) a problem with ICOMS..
Of course I may be talking rubbish here. But would be intersted in your responce as allways keen to learn

Rapid Dr3am
02-05-2007, 10:19

cannot dial out, fdtu, equip check, tech, caoc, 07********

or my personal favourite:

cannot dial out, fdtu, fa adv tech, caoc, 07*********

Rhyming Obituary
02-05-2007, 10:26
Quick question if I may.
Are you ex NTL as charge group problems not (as far as I am Aware) a problem with ICOMS..
Of course I may be talking rubbish here. But would be intersted in your responce as allways keen to learn

Charge group and POE problems do affect all billing systems.

The problem with them is that they're used to add suspension on SystemX switches (this is more common now with Non-pay disconnect sars not being raised/completing correctly on ICOMS).

The only time charge group/POE issues affect DMS switches are for the customer not being able to dial local numbers with out the area prefix. On SystemX you can have that, or the customer can not dial out at all.

Also, a hard TOS on a line will prevent incoming calls also.

Nedkelly
02-05-2007, 10:30
After reading some of the other threads it looks like it is a problem with all systems but i may be wrong ? I wonder if anything will be done about it :mad:

Rhyming Obituary
02-05-2007, 10:56
It's mostly an issue on ICOMS accounts due to the issues I mentioned with non-pay disconnects. Responsibility for fixing this rests with provisioning at the moment. A "fix" for it per se is more something that will come in as orders for it are raised correctly etc.

While charge group and POE issues do affect SystemX switches on other billing platforms (Nottingham, South Wales, Northern Ireland), it's more of a minor issue in these regions.

dontpannic
02-05-2007, 11:59

Is that Alien for

4 chavs in a Vauxhall Nova drives over a cliff. Why is it a shame?

A Vauxhall Nova seats 5

?

:D:D

Rhyming Obituary
02-05-2007, 12:49

I've seen some pretty bad ones, but that's awful, what in hell is CAOC???

colin-bennett
02-05-2007, 22:24
Charge group and POE problems do affect all billing systems.

The problem with them is that they're used to add suspension on SystemX switches (this is more common now with Non-pay disconnect sars not being raised/completing correctly on ICOMS).

The only time charge group/POE issues affect DMS switches are for the customer not being able to dial local numbers with out the area prefix. On SystemX you can have that, or the customer can not dial out at all.

Also, a hard TOS on a line will prevent incoming calls also.

Hi M8
Read with interest your responce. As I said keen to learn more.
You mentioned non pay disc sars not being raised correctly. Can you please give more info as spoke to NTC who seemed to not be able to give me more info.....

mikejones_uk
07-05-2007, 16:44
Well well, the engineer turned up today and what a suprise: it appears not to be a line fault, but a problem with the account! :mad:
He (engineer) was a very nice man, and was apologetic for not being able to do more! And here was why he was unable to: he tried phoning - from my phone, therefore no line fault - to one of the **experts** in the exchange I believe, but guess what? That's right they don't work bank holidays!
I mean whats the flippin' point in having field engineers out and about, but any essential support staff they may require not being there!
In essence the engineer diagnosis was that maybe they have switched my account off in error - it better bloody well be in error! :mad:
Of course if it was an account issue all along, could the initial call to 151 have not picked up on that? :confused:
Will try phoning 151 again! Or maybe I should just phone BT :rolleyes:

Nedkelly
07-05-2007, 17:16
Hi i totaly agree with your post they want the techs in but some of the support we need are not working :mad: :mad: One day we might get it right :disturbd:

mikejones_uk
08-05-2007, 12:56
Wahey!
Finally got the issue resolved! It turns out it was an account configuration problem: call barring level 6 or something I think the customer services rep said!
Anyhow that's been removed & I can make and receive calls! As to not being able to receive them in the first place, I believe I'd placed call forwarding to my mobile on the line prior to it going funny! :doh:
Anyhow if you experience similar problems to those I mentioned in first-post, then kindly decline an engineer visit until they've scoped your account out!

Thanks 4 the responses received :)

MJ