PDA

View Full Version : Packet Loss Problem

Muppetz
30-04-2007, 21:05
Hi, I ran another thread ref some speed test confusion but I have a different issue now.

I noticed over the last few nights that I have been having 10-15 second lag spikes every few minutes (between 5 and 10 minutes appart). Basically I get 0 connection for this period of time. (noticed this on xbox live, although also seen it on web browsing)

I have run several tests, pinging www.bbc.co.uk after doing a trace route.

Pinging bbc and the first router in the route (an 80.0.XX.XX IP - T2cam1) the connection to the router does not fail at the same time as the bbc ping.

Pinging the bbc and the second router in the route (195.182.175.177 - t3core.ntl etc) the connection fails to both at the same time - as shown in the 2 cut and pastes below.. (which were running simoultaniously)

(bbc)
Reply from 212.58.226.232: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=118
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 212.58.226.232: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=117

(second ntl router)
Reply from 195.182.175.177: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=61
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 195.182.175.177: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=61

Meanwhile the ping to the 1st router in the route remains stable throughout.

My conclusions from this is that there is some problem between the 1st and second NTL router in my route out to the internet...

How on earth do I go about trying to get this resolved ? or even trying to explain it to CS ? or are my conclusions all wrong :(

oh, im HG3 postcode and appear to be routing via leeds given the router names...

Muppetz
01-05-2007, 12:00
bumping back up to first page :)

spr33
02-05-2007, 06:25
Try using this service for a few days, take screenshots of the graphs: http://www.l8nc.com/

Then you'll have something to go by I guess.

Muppetz
02-05-2007, 11:44
Thanks Spr33 ;)
(ive signed up to that site, but its busy atm and i have to wait to be approved.)

Using my desktop today, with the pings running on a Vista Toolabar as well as having 5 live radio streaming. Radio stops, i check the pings, router 1 ok, router 2 dead... bbc dead... this happens anywhere between 3min and 30 min intervals :( (10.42, 10.45, 10.48, 10.59, 11.05, 11.08)

Tried to call VM technical and spent an extremely frustrating 20 mins on the phone going through a range of irrelevant scripted tests :( end result still no further as they say they have no fault at their end :( and I was unable to explain to the lady on the phone the tests I had carried out.

Muppetz
07-05-2007, 11:38
Well,

Ive finally been accepted by the l8nc service and had it running since saturday.

Here is my graph from yesterday ( I have covered up my IP ).

Download Failed (1)

As you can see there are multiple red lines (where there was no connection) - and these relate to the kind of service im experiencing when trying to play games online. (When this graph was done (sunday) i had only my router connected to the NTL modem, no computers/xbox etc were turned on.)

How on earth can I get past the scripted first level of support and onto someone who can help me ? :(

spr33
07-05-2007, 21:58
Well,

Ive finally been accepted by the l8nc service and had it running since saturday.

Here is my graph from yesterday ( I have covered up my IP ).

http://www.nti.uk.com/sun.gif

As you can see there are multiple red lines (where there was no connection) - and these relate to the kind of service im experiencing when trying to play games online. (When this graph was done (sunday) i had only my router connected to the NTL modem, no computers/xbox etc were turned on.)

How on earth can I get past the scripted first level of support and onto someone who can help me ? :(

Well, your packet loss doesn't seem to be too bad at all. Sure, it's still there but overall that isn't considered to be performance degrading really. Compare it to mine and that's a whole different story: http://tinyurl.com/2kb4at I'm really not sure who to speak to to get things looked at. BillC helped out us guys in Stoke-on-Trent (and possibly surrounding areas) last week.

Muppetz
07-05-2007, 22:37
lol, yes yours is much worse.

Mine might not seem to bad, and its ok for internet browsing (assuming you dont mind that you are disconnected for 20 second periods), but it is useless for gaming as during each of those red spikes i have effectively no connection.....