PDA

View Full Version : Found Out Why I Was Not Getting 10mb

lazy
30-04-2007, 21:01
For about 1 month after being upgraded from 4mb to 10mb (roll on 20mb) my speeds were no more then 4mb. Many phone calls to CS still no luck.

Today spoke to faults who was really good and after giving my modem details webstar EPC2100 hardware version 1, it appears version one does not support 10mb only 4mb. Version 2 is what I need.

So there you go.

Full marks to Paul at faults for sorting this out!

New modem coming this Wednesday

Druchii
30-04-2007, 21:02
For about 1 month after being upgraded from 4mb to 10mb (roll on 20mb) my speeds were no more then 4mb. Many phone calls to CS still no luck.

Today spoke to faults who was really good and after giving my modem details webstar EPC2100 hardware version 1, it appears version one does not support 10mb only 4mb. Version 2 is what I need.

So there you go.

Full marks to Paul at faults for sorting this out!

New modem coming this Wednesday
Nice to hear a good story once in a while :)

Enjoy your new VM 255 modem :D

AndrewJ
30-04-2007, 21:03
Good luck with your new modem :D

punky
30-04-2007, 21:09
Not sure i'd be so happy after on month of being jerked around and repeated calls to CS... But glad you're happy nonetheless.

Thanx for bringing the problem & solution to our attentions :tu:

Nedkelly
30-04-2007, 21:19
Lets hope its sorted now .I bet you cant wait till wedensday:)

Web-Junkie
30-04-2007, 22:20
Did no one bother to ask what modem you had BEFORE upgrading you? I would think that is a BASIC question to ask just to make sure your modem was capable of 10mb!

lazy
01-05-2007, 08:05
Nope,

no one asked me !

Just hope the modem works.

jcuk
01-05-2007, 09:35
you'd think that would be the case! one of the questions id ask is simply how long yah had the modeM?

lazy
01-05-2007, 10:55
had the modem for 7 months or so.

popper
01-05-2007, 11:33
Lets hope its sorted now .I bet you cant wait till wedensday:)

in relation to this Ned, what is the exact sequence that is suposed to happen in regards to the brand new VM 255 stand alone modem?, i ask as they might get some problems as my friends lad had all last week (wythenshawe,S.manchester).

it was a new account, he asked for BB through the STB but id told him to get a standalone NTL250 (blue with usb and rj45) or the VM 255 (Black and no USB included).

as the address had never had BB (only TV) id assumed they would send him a fitter to put the spitter on and check the levels, but they didnt ...., they sent a parcel through the post and it had the VM255 ,splitter and (far to long)pre-made cables.

in the end, it took almost a week, and me to step in and get them to activate the modem and get the system to give him a valid 82.*.*.*.* No.

the hardware was installed and working fine within 30 minutes, and getting given (after a small delay ,see below)a valid internal dhcp No. for the VM network 213.105.*.*,but it refused to give up that 213.* and give his modem a real valid web 82.*.*.*.* even after id gone to the https://autoreg.autoregister.net page and registered his modem and and email for the account.

all weekend i was passed from Customer Care to Network Faults , and the best they could say was there were 4 pending actions on the CM but couldnt tell me what they were.... were the weekend indian CC/NF just messing me about and were not able to actually fix the problem?, as they kept saying wait 2 hours, wait 4 hours, wait 6 hours ,over the full saturday/sunday.

come monday afternoon, i finally got the modem auto-reset and he had a valid 82.* IP at last and can now use it....

so ignoring the fact the levels were never checked at his end, what is the sequence that should have taken place from VM's end?.

do they take the brand new cable modem out of the big shipping box, put it on the network bench and register its MAC in some DHCP database ready for the end user to activate and associate that modem with their account from the secure https://autoreg.autoregister.net internal site?.

any idea why it took me the whole weekend and most of monday to get them to send the activation code to the modem, and have the VM DHCP servers finally give the modem a valid web (80.81)82.*.*.* IP. and is it a common fault due to some initial action not being done at the start?.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
there was slight problem with his machine to begin with, as windows kept trying to give his XP machine a windows 169.*.*.* IP, so heres one tip for anyone that might be seeing that IP rather than the initial 213.105.*.* IP so you can register your modem to your account with your (do they/old modem/ STB-CM users get a new?)PIN etc as sent through the post.

his machine had a SIS900 LAN chip on a motherboard, these and the old blue official USB-to-RJ45 adaptors that NTL supplyed when pluged into a windows OS machine seem to have a MAC of 00.00.00.00 and it appears the 250/255 at least dont like that MAC sometimes.

you can solve that by entering your own MAC or do as i did ,just get and boot a linux liveCD ftp.slax.org (ftp://ftp.slax.org) and that gives you a valid MAC that you can put into replace the default 00.00.00.00 MAC on the windows side.

you can just as easy use the slax liveCD to register the cable modem and enter your details etc, but you might want to save off your details to a USB stick/HD for later reference etc in windows.

if your slax gives you a MAC No. of say A1:B2:C3:E4 take that MAC
inside windows , open your 'network connections' find the lan card thats pluged directly into the cable modem, open its 'properties', click 'configure' ,'advanced' and 'network address', enter the new MAC No. as
A1B2C3E4 not A1:B2:C3:E4 or A1.B2,C3,E4 and your done.

from inside windows it should then give you the same initial 213.105.*.* as you see in linux, or if your lucky, its already given you real access to the web and given you the real 82.*.*.* IP. :)