PDA

View Full Version : Broadband thru the set top box?

FranKtheTanK
30-04-2007, 18:10
Hi everyone

I've had Virgin since the NTL days, I have a cable modem downstairs but recently got a second line put in so I could get digital tv in the back bedroom.

My question is, can I use the ethernet port on my Vbox to plug straight into my pc and get direct link to the internet.

Currently I use Wifi for the pc but its intermittent due to the signal strength available in my house.

Is any of this possible?

Cheers

AbyssUnderground
30-04-2007, 18:15
No you can only use the STB if no SACM is registered to your account. You have to use the SACM if you have one.

marky
30-04-2007, 18:19
Why not just move the sacm and use a splitter :shrug:

FranKtheTanK
30-04-2007, 18:19
Im assuming then, I can move the modem upstairs and just use the adaptor that connects to the downstairs line to the modem to make it work on my upstairs line?

ladyboy
30-04-2007, 18:20
NO

marky
30-04-2007, 18:23
Im assuming then, I can move the modem upstairs and just use the adaptor that connects to the downstairs line to the modem to make it work on my upstairs line?
Yes, that would work fine :)

AbyssUnderground
30-04-2007, 18:24

Possibly, if they are connected to the same physical line although you might have signal issues so if you try it, do so with care.

FranKtheTanK
30-04-2007, 18:25
Perfect, thanks, wanted to get that cleared up before I attempt things like that!

:D

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Possibly, if they are connected to the same physical line although you might have signal issues so if you try it, do so with care.

They connect thru the same box outside my house, so im assuming it should be ok?

Sirpingalot
30-04-2007, 19:44
Should be fine mate.