PDA

View Full Version : browser hangs - any ideas?

ozsat
26-04-2007, 18:24
Here is the problem.

Maybe once and hour during the day - and up to 10 times an hour at busy times - my browers hangs and reports that any website I try is unavailable. The problem clears after 10-30 seconds.

The wierd thing is the modem lights are all OK and that FTP and e-mail access continues to work during the 'hang' times.

We have four PCs running via a D-link router into an NTL250.

When using the router the 'hangs' are all at the same time - yet FTP and e-mail still work.

But the hanging still occurs it I plug any of the PCs direct into the cable modem.

NTL Tech. Support are not interested as I have a router - even though the router can be switched off.

They also want me to call when I'm having the problem - it occurs five times while on the 'phone to them in the most recent call - but the guy in India just wasn't going to budge from it being either a router or PC problem.

Any ideas before I switch to Sky/BT ?

Paul K
26-04-2007, 18:37
Erm it's probably the network upgrades etc that are causing this, I get it now and then, you could try pinging the address when it fails to load or maybe do a tracert but next time you call them remove the router from the network before calling, as soon as you mention the router VM do not support it so remove the router, make sure it all still works and then call them.

ozsat
26-04-2007, 20:07
I've tried the its not connect - and the locks were still happening (and it really wasn't connected).

Next step is they want the browsers (3 different ones) reinstalled on all 4 PCs - will not pass to second level of support until I've done that.

Paul K
26-04-2007, 20:10
That's a load of rubbish, just tell them you re-installed everything.... you can even say you re-installed Windows if you want, they aren't to know lol

ozsat
26-04-2007, 22:32
I have to leave some time between calls for things to be convincing.