PDA

View Full Version : I need a longer coax cable from splitter box to STB

rare uk
26-04-2007, 10:12
Hi

Got a self-install STB kit yesterday and installed it without any problems except the one mentioned in the thread title above. The cable provided by VM (3m) is too short to run from my splitter box to the STB. They have provided me with 2x3m cables and ideally I would like to join these two cables or buy a longer one (ideally 6m). Anyone know where I can get a ready made cable quality cable or an f type joiner/connector

In past threads about this, http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33406-longer-cable-help-please.html, (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33406-longer-cable-help-please.html) people have said that T's & C's say you can't do this without the help of VM, but when I rang VM last night, the chappy said I could just buy a cable and connect it up.

Cheers

zing_deleted
26-04-2007, 10:15
you can get female to female connectors which should just join the cable

videodj
26-04-2007, 10:35
You can buy ready made cables from some where like Maplins, or most DIY shops seem to do them these days. I brought one for my modem last year and it works fine.

rare uk
26-04-2007, 11:04
Oooh I think this might do the trick http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1638&doy=26m4#overview

zing_deleted
26-04-2007, 11:06
thats what I meant got a couple of em

colin-bennett
26-04-2007, 11:06
co-ax and "F" connectors is all that is required.
Maplin best place but most DIY will supply

zing_deleted
26-04-2007, 11:12
but you need a crimping tool to make your own cable properly

colin-bennett
26-04-2007, 11:15
but you need a crimping tool to make your own cable properly

NOOO
The F connectors I use screw on to the co-ax. These are supplied by Maplin

rare uk
26-04-2007, 12:00
Well using the item I linked to earlier (F Connector Socket to Socket Coupler - product code FE92A@Maplins) I will be able to join the two 3m cables supplied by VM.:tu:

Crooky
26-04-2007, 14:49
NOOO
The F connectors I use screw on to the co-ax. These are supplied by Maplin

zinglebarb is correct, if you want the cable connections to be carried out correctly then you will need the compression tools.

The screw type f connectors, as used by Sky, are not rf screened and can cause rf leakage potentially producing blocking, freezing and noise back onto the network affecting others on your node.

Also, depending on the size of cable used, they can fall off easily.

rare uk
26-04-2007, 15:12
I bought the connector from B&Q for £1.48 and thanks for all your help

colin-bennett
26-04-2007, 23:44
zinglebarb is correct, if you want the cable connections to be carried out correctly then you will need the compression tools.

The screw type f connectors, as used by Sky, are not rf screened and can cause rf leakage potentially producing blocking, freezing and noise back onto the network affecting others on your node.

Also, depending on the size of cable used, they can fall off easily.

This thread was not about a full installation but about one cable feeding a set top box. The connectors mentioned on this thread are suitable for this.

themelon
27-04-2007, 12:23
I tried using the screw on type once thinking they would be fine but actually they were rubbish. I made my TV keep jumping and VOD didnt work.

I have since been kindly lent a Snap and Seal tool which has done the job perfectly. Im amazed how much better the connection is.

Its hardly surprising the Signal on Sky is hardly ever 100% and is affected by weather conditions (unless installed by a professional not Sky bodgit and wreckits)

Im considering buying a snap and seal tool for some of the TV work I am increasingly ending up doing.

One question I have is, is it possible to get a Snap and Seal RF Connector to put in place of the screw in ones on aerial leads? Reason I ask is some of our branches have Freeview TVs in reception and im sure the leads are causing poor performance. One was fixed when I fitted a wallbox and took off the RF Connector (easier with plasterboard!). Im presuming it is down to a better connection. No matter how many times I take off and replace the screw in ones it doesnt improve!

Snap and seal would be easier but I can see I may end up channeling in the cable and chopping in a wallbox (as management like everything to be flush! no trucking!)

colin-bennett
28-04-2007, 00:06
I tried using the screw on type once thinking they would be fine but actually they were rubbish. I made my TV keep jumping and VOD didnt work.

I have since been kindly lent a Snap and Seal tool which has done the job perfectly. Im amazed how much better the connection is.

Its hardly surprising the Signal on Sky is hardly ever 100% and is affected by weather conditions (unless installed by a professional not Sky bodgit and wreckits)

Im considering buying a snap and seal tool for some of the TV work I am increasingly ending up doing.

One question I have is, is it possible to get a Snap and Seal RF Connector to put in place of the screw in ones on aerial leads? Reason I ask is some of our branches have Freeview TVs in reception and im sure the leads are causing poor performance. One was fixed when I fitted a wallbox and took off the RF Connector (easier with plasterboard!). Im presuming it is down to a better connection. No matter how many times I take off and replace the screw in ones it doesnt improve!

Snap and seal would be easier but I can see I may end up channeling in the cable and chopping in a wallbox (as management like everything to be flush! no trucking!)

The reason SKY is affected by weather is due to atmospheric conditions??
I do not care what connectors you use this will happen.
If you use cheap cable the connectors not fit. If you purchase connector and cable from good source all is ok. No way should these conectors be used outside but again I say it was just an extension.

PS1
28-04-2007, 10:20
I bought the connector from B&Q for £1.48 and thanks for all your help

one pound forty eight:Yikes:,strewth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

id of sent you 1 for the price of a postage stamp if id seen your thread in time.

next time hey.:tu:

Crooky
30-04-2007, 16:09
This thread was not about a full installation but about one cable feeding a set top box. The connectors mentioned on this thread are suitable for this.

When I was originally taught how to install CATV all cable connections needed to be Snap-n-Seal,or equivalent.

Subsequently as a service tech the need for this was evident on a large number of occasions. On entering a property to fix "blocking and freezing" a quick check of the connectors revealed that the sub had extended his own cable using sub-standard f connectors. Replaceing them with the correct connector normally resolved the problem. The other problems encountered in such a way was where the sub had used "air-blown" coax or the old sky or aerial cables.

It doesn't matter if the cable is only 12 inches, a poor F connector can and probably will cause the problems I previously described.