PDA

View Full Version : Connection dropping with no power

nnkuk
25-04-2007, 16:33
Hi all, first time posting here and unfortunately its a moan.

Over the past three weeks my internet connection (4mb service) has been continuously dropping. Having looked at the cable modem configuration page I have noticed that the Downstream Power Level Downstream SNR and Upstream Power level are always N/A. No IP is assigned during this time and the service becomes unusable. The sync light remains constant however the ready light flashes and the problem is only resolved when this goes back to normal. I am using an NTL 120 modem and am in the E15 postcode. I have tried ringing tech support 4 times and they never seem to have logged the previous calls, all that ends up happening is I power cycle the modem and then am told they doing tests and will get back to me but never do.

Thanks.

gunnersboy
25-04-2007, 16:38
Try the following since I had a similar problem to you. If the green box isn't directly outside your house and you aren't in the centre of a big city see if on the back of the modem there is a 10db attenuator. This is between the coaxial cable and the modem. I had this and was told to remove it by an engineer. Remove it and leave modem off for an hour and turn back on. Should work!

nnkuk
25-04-2007, 16:40
Its at the end of the road in the east end of London, sorry.

gunnersboy
25-04-2007, 16:55
Try it anyway. Basically all it does is reduce the signal because the signal coming into the house is too strong. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do any harm. You never know signal levels in your area may be weak and therefore it wouldn't matter if it was removed.

nnkuk
25-04-2007, 17:00
There is no such thing on the back of the modem I am afraid. I have been with ntl for almost 4 years and this hasn't been a problem before.

Nedkelly
25-04-2007, 17:03
:tu: It could be the modem or the levels comming in .If the modem is not giving the the upstream level or the snr you will having problems .Sounds like a tec is needed

nnkuk
25-04-2007, 19:45
Happened again, rang them and said there was nothing they could see wrong. Im not a happy bunny right now -_-

nnkuk
06-05-2007, 22:09
Update:
I had an engineer out yesterday, and told me that there had been a problem in the green box at the end of the road and that it had been fixed of Thursday and he came in checked the cables and left assuring me all would be fine. However today I have been without internet for over 2 hours (not consecutively but in drips and drabs) and have not been able to get into the modems configuration page. The lights havent dropped like they used to but this is still annoying. Does anyone have any suggestions?

nnkuk
25-05-2007, 18:27
Id just like to post an update on this, had a second engineer come out, do something to the box at the end of the road and say it would all be OK, this was last week Thursday. Today it has been going on and off continuously and I have run out of ideas as it appears the engineers aren't actually fixing the problem.

mar1n2k
27-05-2007, 02:34
u dont by any chance have a sitecom router do u???

nnkuk
30-05-2007, 18:55
No Im afraid its an Ambit 120

wyngriff
30-05-2007, 21:06
Yes i think you will find its the 120,had the same proplems 3weeks ago guy came out said it was signal levels,messed about with box outside left and said everything should be okay now, half an hour later disconnected again.Phoned up again tech looked at moden and said i know whats wrong went out to van,came back with 255 no proplems since