PDA

View Full Version : SACM started dropping connection

crowlord
24-04-2007, 23:00
Since I have upgraded to 10mb my SACM has started exhibiting a new problem. I think I know why but wanted to here some of you guys (and gals) feedback on it.

Setup: NTL:120 SACM ----> Belkin Router ---> PC NIC.
Environment: Seems to occur when heavy use of modem but not necessarily hammering ie 5mb down and browsing net.
Symptoms: My browsing will hang and downloads become slower and slower and finally cease. The router reports no WAN connectivity and the page will fail to load. The modem continues to report steady SYNC and RDY lights, E/NET slows right down (slow flickering) and D/S will occasionally flash quickly. I also cannot then access the modem config page.

The modem will not spontaneously recover from this and my only recourse is a reboot of the modem, this fully repairs the problem until it happens about 2 hrs down the line again.

I think that the modem is failing to handle the heavy throughput and is locking up. Am I right?

If this is the case is It worth reporting the modem as a fault, this may be a blessing i suppose as it will bypass the need for the replacement modem for 20mb but may be hard to get TS to actually believe me with it being an intermittent fault.

Nedkelly
24-04-2007, 23:07
Hi it could be the modem there has been known problems with the 120 in past my old 120 would not do 10 meg :mad: Got it changed to a 250 8 to 9 meg :tu: What are your levels upstream and downstream levels :tu:

crowlord
24-04-2007, 23:09
Downstream Receive Power Level : -9.72 dBmv Downstream SNR : 32.29 dB Upstream Transmit Power Level : 40.00 dBmv

thats what its running at at the moment

Last time i went to 10mb it would only hit 7. since i've started running at 10mb again it only really gets a workout at arounf 5 or 6 when it runs at 10, on the rare occasion, the download is over b4 it breaks into a sweat

Nedkelly
24-04-2007, 23:18
Downstream is a bit low at -9 but some will say its alright i would give faults a call .

crowlord
24-04-2007, 23:22
Thanks mate :D I will call them tomorrow.

Nedkelly
24-04-2007, 23:24
Your welcome:)

crowlord
25-04-2007, 15:25
Update on this so far......

Tech 1 (called when modem is working): Everything looks fine with it. It probably is faulty but if I put it straight to visit they will probably question it. Best bet is to bypass router and when it dies again call up before you reboot.

Tech 2 (modem has locked while router is bypassed): We are showing power but no downstream signal. I will reset your connection. It should now be fine.

Tech 3 (Modem has locked while router is back on (firewall shmirewall!): Reboot a few times please. Turn off all your firewalls please. Run directly without the router and with firewall off dor 24 hours if it happens again we we book a replacement.

Phew, why not just accept that it is 4years old and is getting past it for what I am asking it to do.

Wonder how long until the next call. Good job I'm patient today :)

Acathla
25-04-2007, 15:39
I had the same problem with my 120. After the usual - call back when it happens again business, 10 minutes later I called back and told them the modem was just at end of life and I wanted a new one - Engineer visited with new modem, problem solved.

Also, don't be running your connection for 24 hours without any firewall up because I'd be damned if VM are going to take responsibility if you get hacked!

DieDieMyDarling
25-04-2007, 15:44
This is a known issue with the Ambit 120, when they upgraded the firmware to 0003.cpr (for the 10mb roll out) it apparently pushed the 120 beyond it's limits, greatly reducing it's life span and causing problems. A lot of people had the problem at the time.
I'm waiting for the 20mb rollout to get mine replaced, so they can just post a new modem out to me, rather than having to arrange a time for an engineer to call, it's bloody frustrating at times though.

crowlord
25-04-2007, 16:34
It failed again not 30 mins after the last call. This time they bit the bullet and an engineer is set for monday.

They seem so confused when you tell them that all the lights look normal! As a layman that just indictes to me that the box itself is screwd and cant read its own status, especially as you also cant access the config screen.

Thanks all of you for your help. Will make the 20mb upgrade easier as well, the modem would have been replaced in a few weeks anyway!

Nedkelly
25-04-2007, 16:48
Glad to hear you got a result :tu:

crowlord
30-04-2007, 08:52
Nice gent from VM arrived at 07:50 (catching the wife in her nighty ;)). tested the rear junction box and the main junction box and diagnosed a poor signal. He done something that should improve TV and BB. Then my 120 was swapped for a 250.

Very pleased with the service :tu:, seems to be working fine at the moment.