PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any probs with BB in the Ipswich Area?

Woolly One
24-04-2007, 17:29
Hi anyone got any BB major slowdown in the Ipswich (IP1) area? working fine half an hour ago, now appears to have gone in dozzy mode. TS thinks its my usb cable to the PC. If it is - why would it suddenly give up!

Speed test shows that we have gone from 3.9 to 0.9 - bit of a bugger when youngest was playing Runescape!!!

Regards - Woolly One

Sirpingalot
24-04-2007, 17:47
The majority seem to be experiencing speed issues at the moment.

Currently, mine is OK, touch wood. It's probably something to do with VM having to take capacity away, and then add some to implement the 20mb/s. Let's hope so, anyway.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Oh, and isn't it "What is the answer to life"? > 42?

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Or is it just 7 x 6?

BeckyD
24-04-2007, 18:11
YES! I've been experiencing slowness and often no connection at all in the last 2 hours. Rang faults who told me I've an intermittent modem problem and are sending an engineer on Friday!
I had a feeling it wasn't just me, I'm gonna give them another call. Oh, I'm in IP1 specifically as well.....

bigfootski
24-04-2007, 18:16
Not in the Ipswich area but I'm getting massive slowdown to the point of nothing working at all apart from a few select websites. Can't even get the service status bit up to check for problems. Been like this for past 30 minutes, was working fine then all of a sudden just seemes to have died on me.

BeckyD
24-04-2007, 18:44
Just spoke to TS again - they say no faults in Ipswich area and someone else having issues in IP1 is pure coincidence!
Sounds to me like something major is going on though and perhaps the techs themselves are unaware. I would have responded here earlier, but my connection has been completely down for the last 30 mins.

EDIT / Speed is improving, but still less than 1Mbit connection here..... friends in Plymouth having trouble too....

peanut
24-04-2007, 18:48
Everything seems ok this side of Ipswich (IP2). But it was a bit up and down/erratic lastnight, it is normally consistant as in full download rates. But today it's been a lot better.

Woolly One
24-04-2007, 19:10
Hi - thanks for the info all - will try again with TS 2morrow if not improved. I would have got back sooner - but it took an age to get to this page!!!

Regards - Woolly one

BeckyD
25-04-2007, 16:53
Woolly (or anyone else in Ipswich), how is it for you today? Things got better here at from about 7pm last night (though hardly full speed) but I have just switched on today and I'm back to nearly non-existant connection again. Right about the same time as yesterday too!
And if you don't mind me asking, are you in the Handford Road area by any chance?

Woolly One
25-04-2007, 17:19
Woolly (or anyone else in Ipswich), how is it for you today? Things got better here at from about 7pm last night (though hardly full speed) but I have just switched on today and I'm back to nearly non-existant connection again. Right about the same time as yesterday too!
And if you don't mind me asking, are you in the Handford Road area by any chance?

Hi - not too may green boxes away! - Just off top end of Bramford road. I was running at full speed this morning. But at 4pm, I couldnt even get speedtest.net to run.:td: TS rekoned that it was down to our PC:confused: It was down to spyware slowing our connection and that our anti virus - Norton - wasn't good enough!!! - full scans for PC reveal nowt.

Ideas anyone - please
p.s. nice to meet you LadyMinion

BeckyD
25-04-2007, 18:06
Hi - not too may green boxes away! - Just off top end of Bramford road. I was running at full speed this morning. But at 4pm, I couldnt even get speedtest.net to run.:td: TS rekoned that it was down to our PC:confused: It was down to spyware slowing our connection and that our anti virus - Norton - wasn't good enough!!! - full scans for PC reveal nowt.

Ideas anyone - please
p.s. nice to meet you LadyMinion

Nice to meet you too. :D

I've just had a lengthy couple of conversations with VM tech support and am sadly no less confused by what is going on:

I needed to cancel my Friday engineer as I've been called into work that afternoon. So I got through to a nice welsh chap who instantly told me an engineer visit was unnecessary anyway as the problem couldn't possibly be with my modem! I asked him about the forthcoming 20Mbit upgrades and if they could be causing problems and he said something like "it doesn't work like that". He then said he was going to transfer me to another dept so that I could request someone come look at the two green boxes in our street. He advised me to exaggerate and say that most people in our street were having problems too so that someone would come and check the green boxes. Unfortunately, he must have misdialled and put me through to the TV dept (in India), so I had to redial.

Second chap I spoke to (also in the UK I believe) basically disagreed with everything the first guy said. He insisted that I still needed an engineer and that the problem was highly unlikely to be with the green box or the local exchange. He also said they don't routinely check on green boxes unless a problem is visible (vandalism, for example). He also stated that preparations for the forthcoming upgrades can cause issues with existing connections. Finally, he told me a bit about the upgrades themselves and that they were being done not only to upgrade speed, but also to increase the available connections as there are a lot of "black areas" where too many people are connecting at once. He checked my individual connection on his list and I am apparantly not in one of these "black areas". In fact, I am on an ancient system that is not shared with many other people at all (I've been with them since they were East Coast Cable lol).

Anyway, I ended up re-booking the engineer visit for Monday. As of now, my speed appears to be fluctuating between normal and almost nothing at all....

Woolly One
25-04-2007, 19:02
As of now, my speed appears to be fluctuating between normal and almost nothing at all....

Everything here is now working almost up to spec (touch wood or should that be TorchWood?). These "Black Areas" are too 'X files' for me :eeek:

Hope we all get sorted out with a 'fast reliable BB' soon:erm:

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Ok - Forget that - Back 2 square One!!!!!!!!!!:Yikes:

pogo
25-04-2007, 19:55
Fine in IP3, which is unusal for me at this time of night, usually between 4-5 meg or lower.

Sirpingalot
26-04-2007, 20:09
Not in the Ipswich area, although my speed does seem better than on other on previous nights -
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1177614418&v=1208146