PDA

View Full Version : 4mb to 10mb with new modem now slower!!

mr_baz
23-04-2007, 22:33
Hi all,

Just in case anyone has had a similar problem that has been resolved, heres whats going on with me!

Had a 5 year old + NTLhome silver cable modem that was faultless.

Decided on upgrade to 10mb service in the light of the 20mb announcements.

Modem upgraded to new one on Friday:

Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0
Compliant MAC Address : xxxxxx
Serial Number : XXXXXX
Boot Code Version : 2.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1010
Hardware Version : 1.19

Tried some speed tests few hours later, got 1.5 to 2mb.

Call support next day (Sat), they said there was a problem with the upgrade and I was still on 4mb. Called back a couple of hours later and advised all ok.

Today, slower still, 1.4mb-ish. This issue only occurred after the modem was replaced (regularly tested at 3.9mb).

Spoke to India tech tonight and apparently my firewall and router will cause a loss of service/speed - yeah good one. :rolleyes:

India reckons no network issues and started getting flustered when I started asking questions. Apparently will be escalated in the morning for uk tech.

Anyone out there any words of wisdom please?!

Oh and....

etwork Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Sorry for the long post!

Baz

Paul K
23-04-2007, 22:34
Correct config, could be an issue in your area or something is screwed up somewhere, could even be the modem itself. What speed tests are you trying?

mr_baz
23-04-2007, 23:12
Hi mate,

Thanks for the quick reply. Seems a bit odd that the modem changeover has killed years of faultless service?

I have been running speedtest.net and downloading xp sp2 from MS @ about 170-180kb/sec.

I am wondering if insisting on a replacement modem is the way to go... or even requesting an old one being reinstated (I have a spare).

I did try using a local proxy and it was hardly different.

thanks again!

Baz

Paul K
23-04-2007, 23:20
It's not that unusual as different modems behave differently at set power levels on the line. Also the new modem would have to be registered onto your account and things can go wrong there too. Best thing to do is direct connect to the modem temporarily to see if anything changes and if not call back tomorrow and don't mention the router ;)

mr_baz
23-04-2007, 23:33
thanks again mate, gone direct and still the same :(

shoulda stayed on 4mb! I'll see what tech reckons tomorrow...

Druchii
24-04-2007, 02:56
Baz, do not worry, i initially had the same thing when i went from 4 to 10. dropped to about 3ish though... After a day or so speeds picked up and it now works fine 95% of the time :)

McMav
24-04-2007, 09:45
Easy way to discredit their router idea is to bypass it and run without it and prove there is still a drop in speed.

blackbob
24-04-2007, 22:09
I have the same experience,just had VIP fitted today tech replaced 4 year old ntl400 modem that never gave less than 3.77mb on a 4meg service with a ntl250 that now gives 1.5-1.9meg on a 10 meg service, somewhat frustrated