PDA

View Full Version : Business Broadband

gkhewitt
22-04-2007, 23:32
Hi Folks

I'm the admin for a small Church Office network. We currently have an ADSL line for the broadband and are on the Max system, but sadly due to the line quality (it snakes a fair way around the site before hitting the office) we can't get anywhere near the full speed - think it's hitting about 3meg now and it often drops out.

So, basically I'm looking into Virgin's business offerings since it would provide much better stability (well, that's the hope) and more bandwidth. Our office server deals with mail for our domain, we have several staff that use the Internet at the same time, and increasingly more users of our wireless hotspot service as they rent out the halls. The building is in a cabled area and there's already a connection about 20m from the office (I suspect they'd have to run a cable round though).

The NTL:TW business site doesn't seem to have much info about their business broadband and much of the site seems to be pitched above our needs, at leased lines and managed solutions etc. I'm assuming we can't get a residential connection, since technically it's a business premises? Does anyone know anything, or have, a business broadband connection? What are the specs/pricing of such a product? Or do I just need to phone them and speak to them directly about it all?

Many thanks!

cybernetic_tiger
23-04-2007, 03:53
Hi,

The business essentials bundle is going to be the best value for money and comes with both your telephone line and also up to 10Mb Broadband via a cable modem, this page should give you a good idea :

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband.aspx

I would advise that you give them a call to find out exactly what they can offer you in your area...

To give you an idea on the prices (don't quote me as I don't work in sales) :

Broadband only (12:1 Contention / 40 hour SLA):
4Mb - £30 per month
10Mb - £40 per month

RXP
23-04-2007, 09:31
So, residential customers pay £37 a month for 10mit and business pay £40 with a 12:1 contention ratio? Might consider going business at that ratio, I presume there'd be no throttling either with low contentions.

Stuart
23-04-2007, 10:34
I believe you have to be VAT registered.

m47een
23-04-2007, 12:20
Hi,

Just been on to phone to NTL/Telewest rearding the business broadband deals.. I have been told that you do not have to be VAT registered its a one off installation charge of £49 and then either £30 for 4mb or £40 for 10mb.

There is a 2year contract as well and I was told the contention ratio is approx 20:1 I asked what contention ratio there was for residential the lady quoted somewhere between 60:1 - 70:1