PDA

View Full Version : No connection since Wednesday!

virginnightmare
21-04-2007, 23:06
Hi Everyone, I'm really just posting this for a bit of advice, this is my first post here but I've known about these forums for quite some time. I returned from work on Wednesday afternoon to find the "sync" light on the modem flashing, I know this is either due to one of two things, the modem, or the signal level coming into our house.

I called technical support and was helped by someone in the Indian call centre who asked me to turn the modem off whilst she "checks the line" and then power on the modem whilst she checks the line. The modem isn't even synchronising so she obviously was not able to get any information from the modem. She said the only thing to do is to send an engineer round. Fair enough I requested that someone come round on Saturday to take a look. She said that is fine and it will be between 8 and 3.

I waited in today from 8 until 3 and no body showed up. So I called back and went through to India and queried this and was advised that the engineer is not due to come out until next Saturday. I requested that a supervisor call me back as it is unacceptable in my opinion to be without service for 10 days before getting an engineer out to fix our broadband. I was advised that someone would call back within 24 hours. Tomorrow being a Sunday I sincerely doubt I will receive a call then.

I have been advised that there aren't any more problems in the area so I imagine it is either a problem with the line coming into our house (we only have virgin broadband) or a problem with the modem itself. I found it strange how the connection went off in the day (I might be just being paranoid) but I have a suspicion that our cable might have been unplugged from the green cabinet or that there is a fault with the modem. Is there anyone I can speak to or anything I can do to ensure this problem gets fixed ASAP and ensure we don't get charged for the days where we do not have Internet access.

Just a quick update. Had a call from Costa (think he is a supervisor in the call centre) He has arranged for the engineer to come on wednesday and advised we call dispatches on monday before 8PM to get an earlier appointment. I am a little happier now it seems someone has called back and are making an effort to resolve this issue.

punky
22-04-2007, 01:01
:welcome: to the forum.

Suprised they called back this late... Still glad you got an earlier appointment nonetheless...

gunnersboy
22-04-2007, 11:54
I've recently had the same problem although the internet came back on after leaving the modem off for about an hour.

However we had already booked an engineer to come round and when he did he said the reason was because the signal was being weakened by 10db with a little connector on the back of the modem. He said that unless the green box was just outside the house or in the city it wasn't needed to have this connector.

So if you don't live in the city and the green box isn't directly outside your house then have a look at the back of your modem, the cable coming from outside will go into your modem and there is a possibility that a connector will be on the cable. To identify this it should have some writing on it which says 10db on it. Just unscrew this from the cable and modem and plug the cable directly back into the modem.

It might not connect straight again but if you leave it off for an hour then it may work.

Hope that helps!