PDA

View Full Version : Which oil to use???

Nidge
21-04-2007, 22:47
I've got a Citroen C5 O3 reg diesel HDI engine,what sort of oil should I use? I've looked through the handbook but it doesn't tell you which sort to use like ordinary oil or semi synthetic oil?? Any ideas chaps?

ladyboy
22-04-2007, 01:41
I've got a Citroen C5 O3 reg diesel HDI engine,what sort of oil should I use? I've looked through the handbook but it doesn't tell you which sort to use like ordinary oil or semi synthetic oil?? Any ideas chaps?

why dont you ring a garage.surely there the experts...:confused: :confused: :confused:

andygrif
22-04-2007, 01:52
The manual should give you the grade of oil, eg 15W-30 etc. Some of these are unique, eg if they have a zero at the start then they're probably fully synthetic.

A half decent motoriing centre should be able to tell you which one you need, I had to buy a load a few years back for mine, they looked it up their book and told me the best grade to get.

punky
22-04-2007, 02:05
Go into Halfords... They have it all on their computer. They should tell you what you need, and more helpfully how much (my manual didnt).

They gave the wrong oil filter though, idiots:fit:

keithwalton
22-04-2007, 02:20
Im fairly sure you'll need fully synth as you have a long service interval (parkers says 20k miles) i have the previous engine to yours in my xantia which started having a 6k interval on semi-syn but later models started life on fully syn and had an interval of 10k miles, pretty much all new engines for quite a few years now use fully synthetic

According to castrol's oil finder they recomend edge diesel 5w40, and suggest alternative of magnatec diesel 10w40 and that you need 4.8l of the stuff

It will be fully synth im fairly sure as you have a long service interval (parkers says 20k miles) i have the previous engine to yours in my xantia which started having a 6k interval on semi-syn but later models started life on fully syn and had an interval of 10k miles

Xaccers
22-04-2007, 02:37
Fully synth oil.

On another note, don't use any old anti-freeze if you ever decide to top that up, get the wrong one and it will gum up your system!

Roy MM
22-04-2007, 02:43
See if Diesell do ;) http://www.castrol.com/castrol/Search.do?keyword=Citroen+C5+O3+reg+diesel+HDI&categoryId=3205

Nidge
22-04-2007, 07:45
The manual should give you the grade of oil, eg 15W-30 etc. Some of these are unique, eg if they have a zero at the start then they're probably fully synthetic.

A half decent motoriing centre should be able to tell you which one you need, I had to buy a load a few years back for mine, they looked it up their book and told me the best grade to get.

Like I said there is nothing in the handbook regarding which oil to put it, all it says is a a good quality oil, it doesn't say semi synthetic or fully synthetic.

Cheers for the info guys the Castrol site is spot on.

Xaccers
22-04-2007, 08:49
Don't forget to change your flywheel at around 60K when it starts self destructing :)

maddyp
23-04-2007, 01:02
why did you say chaps? I may know exatly the correct oil to use, but will not tell you now.
did you think that only the male users could help in your plight?, even though you, a male did not know which to use?
;)

Xaccers
23-04-2007, 10:30
why did you say chaps? I may know exatly the correct oil to use, but will not tell you now.
did you think that only the male users could help in your plight?, even though you, a male did not know which to use?
;)

These days, as with "guys" a lot of people use "chaps" when referencing a group irrelivant of the gender of it's members.
It's easier than saying "guys and girls/gals" or "chaps and chapesses"

altis
23-04-2007, 10:45
Everything you ever wanted to know about engine oil!!!

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

bjorkiii
23-04-2007, 11:15
;) When i'm on yahoo webcam with my honey i nearly always use johnsons babyoil.

Xaccers
23-04-2007, 15:43
;) When i'm on yahoo webcam with my honey i nearly always use johnsons babyoil.

So people can watch you clogging up your sump? ;)