PDA

View Full Version : STB Ethernet Port for Broadband Connection

planetmaker
19-04-2007, 14:05
I have my broadband connected through an old NTL router which then plugs into my wifi router.
The other week I got a no frills package VM STB sent to me in the post.

Does anyone know if I can plug my wifi router straight into the ethernet port of the STB and get rid of the original NTL router?

Will the ethernet port need configuring ??

kfridge
19-04-2007, 14:09
I would think that the Ethernet port on the STB will need activating as you already receive your broadband through your router (modem?)...

MovedGoalPosts
19-04-2007, 14:22
If you already get broadband via a modem, you won't get it via the Set Top Box. That was only available in some areas, and with increased broadband speeds likely that aren't supported by Set Top Boxes, the modem is the way to go.

If you beleive your modem is inadequate - some of the Terrayons for example no longer work properly, you'll need to call faults to get that upgraded.

planetmaker
19-04-2007, 14:25
How do I do that? Do I need to ring VM or can I configure it myself?

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

I would think that the Ethernet port on the STB will need activating as you already receive your broadband through your router (modem?)...

If you already get broadband via a modem, you won't get it via the Set Top Box. That was only available in some areas, and with increased broadband speeds likely that aren't supported by Set Top Boxes, the modem is the way to go.

If you beleive your modem is inadequate - some of the Terrayons for example no longer work properly, you'll need to call faults to get that upgraded.

Ahhh I see, thanks for the info :tu:

dev
19-04-2007, 14:29
am i the only one questioning why a VM STB was sent in the post?