PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office Outlook Test Message ???

Cyrill666
19-04-2007, 11:02
Hello,

I have just (in the last few minutes) received 3 emails titled "Microsoft Office Outlook Test Message" addressed to my main ntlworld account. Now I do understand where these messages would normally come from (Outlook, new account, test settings button etc) - BUT - I do not have Outlook installed on my machine and NEVER have. So I'm concerned as to where these messages may have originated, and that someone may be sending emails in my name.

Can anyone suggest a course of action - I can post the message headers if it helps.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Ramrod
19-04-2007, 11:51
Delete them? :shrug:

englishpaul
19-04-2007, 11:54
They are most likely spoof messages.

As Ramrod suggests, just delete them.

Woolly One
19-04-2007, 12:00
I agree with RamRod, just get shot of them. Have you opened them and it's asking you to verify something or other? - if so it's probably a scam!:Yikes:

Hope this helps

Cyrill666
19-04-2007, 16:18
Hi,

I'll do that, thanks.

Odd thing is that they look like genuine test messages - the only content is:

"This is an e-mail message sent automatically by Microsoft Office Outlook's Account Manager while testing the settings for your POP3 account."

Looking at the message header, they've originated from another NTL users account... oh well - I'll keep an eye on it. Passwords changed etc... thanks for your help.

simbr
20-04-2007, 02:17
They other customer probably has an email address similar to yours and mistyped it when setting up the account.

ecksmen
20-04-2007, 15:05
So I'm concerned as to where these messages may have originated, and that someone may be sending emails in my name.

It's really nothing to worry about - anyone can easily spoof an email to make it look like it's come from someone else.

There's not much you can do, and TBH like the above poster has said, it's prob just a typo on an email address - you prob got a few as they failed the test and repeated it a few times thinking pressing the button more will make it work.