PDA

View Full Version : Linux and cable modem

flowrebmit
18-04-2007, 22:51
Hi,

I am considering VM cable internet (I've never previously been an VM or NTL customer), but I am somewhat put off by the minimum requirement being Windows or Mac OS 9.

Is anyone using linux exclusively (i.e. no Windows sometimes) with their cable modem?
How did you get around the CD setup?

What happens, on the hopefully rare occasions, when you need to report a fault with the service?

Jules

PS I had thought it was going to be easier to get ADSL, because there are some ISPs who don't have any issues with non-Windows users, but my BT line is on fibre at some point, which means no ADSL.

janipewter
18-04-2007, 22:53
If you have a network card in your PC then you won't have to worry about the software, just plug straight into the ethernet port.

punky
18-04-2007, 22:56
You are absolutely fine to use Linux with your VM cable modem, providing you have an ethernet card.

The only thing the CD is for really is the ethernet-to-USB adaptor.

Once you have it plugged , in you register your modem via a browser, and away you go.

flowrebmit
18-04-2007, 23:34
Thanks for the quick replies.

Yep, I have Ethernet, and a Netgear wireless router (the sort without a DSL modem).

The only information that I can find on registering via a browser, refers to NTL web addresses, is there a link to VirginMedia registering web page or are those details supplied with the cable modem?

Jules

NoKnowledge
18-04-2007, 23:43
I got Ubuntu Edgy on mine and with the Linksys WRT54XX versions the OS loads it's own Linksys drivers so I didn't have to install anything and the cable modem works WITHOUT the ntl/Telewest software CD.

flowrebmit
19-04-2007, 00:16
Just to make sure that I've understood correctly, the very first day that you had the cable modem installed by the VM installer person, you never ran Windows and the Virgin Media CD to register the cable modem?

brundles
19-04-2007, 00:27
Can't say for VM, but no CD was ever used by the TW engineer here. (Although he did struggle because the ethernet card had previously been configured with a 192.168 IP address so he had to phone his mate to ask how to re-configure it back to DHCP).

And no CD was used to install my neighbours VM connection the other week that used ethernet.

elminster
19-04-2007, 00:32
Hi,

What happens, on the hopefully rare occasions, when you need to report a fault with the service?

Well 5 years ago if you said Linux they would not know what your talking about, but these days most of the tech guys are pretty much up on Linux. And if you keep repeating 'Its not a problem with my PC .... Its not a problem with my PC' they will take notice eventually ;).

tweetiepooh
19-04-2007, 09:40
I've used Linux of various sorts and recently been trying Gentoo with no hassles on VM and previously on ADSL. I've never used USB connection though.

lordy
19-04-2007, 10:19
I have the modem plugged into a router (WRT54G) but you could connect directly by internet.

However to activate the service for the first time, I had to use IE explorer as at the time NTL were using some kind of Microsoft Authentication on the back end.

I specifically remember having to power up my work laptop because I could not authenticate the modem via Linux. (Probably some Active X or whatever) when browsing to some IP address that they gave me. This may have changed or support may have given me a bum steer.
(But as they support MAC I suspect the latter now?)

Once activated, I could use whatever OS I liked. just remember if you call support later you have to speak their language :)

Oh yes , I activeted via some ip address URL because I told them I didnt want to install their stuff on my work laptop!

xspeedyx
19-04-2007, 13:10
I used it via my network card and it works fine

Gotta love ubuntu great o/s system

DarkGashX
19-04-2007, 13:14
I think he wants to know if anyone had VM installed with just Linux on their computer(s). Well the answer for me was yes.

I can help you out, we got cable installed back in October but we had just moved in and we only had the laptop setup with Ubuntu on. What we did was we asked the kind installer to leave the CD, welcome pack etc and that we would set it up ourselves.

Loaded up the laptop and went to: https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ (you can access this webpage using the cable modem even if you haven't registered your service yet-that is what you are going to do now :)). You will need an 11 digit number which should be on your welcome pack and if I remember right the account name/number afterwards. If you dont have that information (like we didn't) then give NTL/VM a call (0845 454 1111) and ask them for the details you need. Don't ask them for help with Linux because you will be told "We don't support Unix or Linux, at the moment we only support Windows XP and Mac OS 9 and X. Vista will be supported in the future".

Basically as I said just surf your way over to https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ and follow the steps. If you find out that you don't have a certain bit of information you need, give customer service a call (again, 0845 454 1111).

Oh, almost forgot. Once registered I was suggested that I surf to different websites for about 30 minutes while the system got used to "delivering" to your address. Sure thing was that after registering I was getting ~8Mb on speed tests. When the 30 minutes was up I was getting the full 10 :). [Maybe download a new Linux Distro or something? haha]

Good luck! :).

Meatbag
19-04-2007, 13:41
I did it the same as the guy above, except was given an ip to go to for registering...

Linux rocks! :D

flowrebmit
19-04-2007, 18:06
Thank you DarkGashX for your very detailed post, you given me a lot more confidence, and having an idea of some of the key bits of information that the installer is meant to leave with the customer is really useful.

Cheers,
Jules

DarkGashX
19-04-2007, 20:26
Thank you DarkGashX for your very detailed post, you given me a lot more confidence, and having an idea of some of the key bits of information that the installer is meant to leave with the customer is really useful.

Cheers,
Jules

Not a problem. Good luck :). Remember, you have a month to cancel your VM services if your not happy :).

P.S. Ubuntu 7.04 came out today :). Remember you can get it via VM's site (http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com/releases/feisty/).