PDA

View Full Version : BB on V+ STB

caveman
18-04-2007, 15:54
Can the V+ STB deliver 4meg BB. I am having one fitted next week and would rather not have to go through the re-registering route which would be required if I needed a SACM. If that was requied and instead I sited the V+ in another room until such time that I had a HD TV. Would the splicing of the main cable interfere with the BB or would it remain in tact on the original Samsung STB

prawncocktail
18-04-2007, 16:26
Can the V+ STB deliver 4meg BB. I am having one fitted next week and would rather not have to go through the re-registering route which would be required if I needed a SACM. If that was requied and instead I sited the V+ in another room until such time that I had a HD TV. Would the splicing of the main cable interfere with the BB or would it remain in tact on the original Samsung STB

you cannot have broadband through your v+ box or a v box for that matter (unless you are already on it - in which case you should change to a sacm cos its better)

caveman
18-04-2007, 16:34
you cannot have broadband through your v+ box or a v box for that matter (unless you are already on it - in which case you should change to a sacm cos its better)

What do you mean already on it. I am currently a subscriber with 4meg running from a Samsung STB.

Nikesh
18-04-2007, 16:40
Are you keeping the old STB? Or are you swapping it for a V+HD box? I think if you keep the old STB you can carry on having broadband through the STB. If you just have a V+HD box you will have to get a SACM modem fitted.

caveman
18-04-2007, 16:52
I am keeping the Samsung as well as getting the V+. The simple solution is to leave the Samsung where it is with the BB and install the V+ in the bedroom. ATM I don't have HD TV and apart from the recording I see no advantage of going through the hassle of rereg. a SACM.
Are there any disadvantages I have missed with doing it that way?

Nikesh
18-04-2007, 16:59
Well SACM's are more reliable and they go to greater speeds than the STB's.

savvychels
18-04-2007, 17:11
I am keeping the Samsung as well as getting the V+. The simple solution is to leave the Samsung where it is with the BB and install the V+ in the bedroom. ATM I don't have HD TV and apart from the recording I see no advantage of going through the hassle of rereg. a SACM.
Are there any disadvantages I have missed with doing it that way?

Chances are you won't be able to get more than 4meg from the STB. I was worried when I had mine installed that it would be a real hassle, but honestly? It was a 2 minute job for the installer to put the splitter in for the modem, and about 10 minutes for me to go through the registration and keep/transfer my current username etc. I did have trouble with one of my email addresses - somehow it stayed attached to the STB, but a quick phone call to bb faults got that sorted (no more than 2 minutes).

Seriously - I was worried about changing the status quo, but it's been so much better.

JohnHorb
18-04-2007, 17:16
The OP only has 4MB. However, 4MB is likely to be upgraded in the not too far distant future, and the STB will only do c. 5-6MB. I've just switched from STB to a self-install SACM in preparation for the forthcoming 20MB, and had no problem installing/registering (just need to wait and see if the billing gets screwed up!).