PDA

View Full Version : Structure of the hand

greencreeper
17-04-2007, 23:03
My right hand. The thumb. Looking at the inside edge and moving down about an inch or so, there's a bit of a dip - almost at the wrist. I think it might be this tendon here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensor_pollicis_longus Not sure though :erm: One for Rammy, maybe, or Salu.

tick
17-04-2007, 23:36
painters hand maybe?

danielf
17-04-2007, 23:43
So many jokes there, but I'll be good this time :angel: :)

greencreeper
17-04-2007, 23:50
painters hand maybe?
Mouse hand :)

Alien
18-04-2007, 08:26
So many jokes there, but I'll be good this time :angel: :)
I know what you mean, first that post in the moans thread, now this. If he ever wanted a career as 1 half of a comedy duo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_duo) he'd make a good straight man. :erm:

zing_deleted
18-04-2007, 08:55
I hit my ganglion with a hammer the other day and it went away :)

Ramrod
18-04-2007, 08:58
You are probably looking at the structures of the anatomical snuff box (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomical_snuff_box) Why do you ask?

Ramrod
18-04-2007, 09:00
I hit my ganglion with a hammer the other day and it went away :)A bible is the traditional way.....

greencreeper
18-04-2007, 21:39
You are probably looking at the structures of the anatomical snuff box (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomical_snuff_box)
Yes. That diagram confirms it - definitely that tendon

Why do you ask?
It hurts, on and off, and it's useful to know what's hurting. I woke up one Sunday, a while ago now, and couldn't move my thumb at all - terrible pain. Thought I'd broken it but the casualty doctor said it was tendonitis and gave me a splint and NSAIDs. Since then, the pain comes and goes - never as bad, but enough for me to to pull up when taking hold of things. Dull ache that sharpens when I use the thumb in certain ways.

[edit] Might be this: http://www.indianahandcenter.com/medical_dequervains.html Lot of the symptoms fit, plus the Finkelstein's test hurts like hell :(

Xaccers
18-04-2007, 22:01
What we really want to know is; what are the chances of his thumb falling off cos that'd be really cool (though maybe a tad disconcerting for greencreeper, but we all have to make sacrifices you know)

Salu
18-04-2007, 22:32
Hi greencreeper.

It sounds quite likely to be a tendon sheath problem, possibly DeQuervains? Do you use a mouse a lot or do some other repetative movement with your hand (resist puns please..)? Have you lifted something heavy with your thumb and forefinger stretched widely recently? Like a paint can etc?

How long have you had this problem now?
How long did you wear the splint?
How long did you take the NSAIDs?
Are you tender over the tip of the radial styloid? (You should be able to locate that via WIKI...)

Finkelstein's I've found is better done passively, by the way. That is your hand moved not using the muscles of the affected hand but preferably by someone else.

Ramrod
18-04-2007, 22:36
Have you tried icing it?

Cobbydaler
18-04-2007, 22:41
Have you tried icing it?

Buttercream, fondant or royal? ;)

greencreeper
19-04-2007, 04:00
It sounds quite likely to be a tendon sheath problem, possibly DeQuervains? Do you use a mouse a lot or do some other repetative movement with your hand (resist puns please..)? Have you lifted something heavy with your thumb and forefinger stretched widely recently? Like a paint can etc?
Heavy mousing, plus I've been painting quite a bit recently, which won't have helped. Oh and pressing the spacebar - I just can't get my brain to use my left hand for pressing the spacebar. Like I said, it comes and goes - can be fine for a few months, and then it'll start aching again.

How long have you had this problem now?
:scratch: Not sure - certainly more than a year. Was at Uni - 3rd year. So that would be about 4 years actually, now I think.

How long did you wear the splint?
I can't recall - I think it was a few weeks. I know it was a nuisance.

How long did you take the NSAIDs?
Again, not sure - I think it was a strong dosage over a short period of time. At the moment, I take Ibuprofen or Volterol (I have a few left over from when I did my neck/shoulder in)

Are you tender over the tip of the radial styloid? (You should be able to locate that via WIKI...)
I've done a bit of research and I think I know what you mean and yes - sort of. It's the bit where the tendons group together that is tender.

Finkelstein's I've found is better done passively, by the way. That is your hand moved not using the muscles of the affected hand but preferably by someone else.
Ah right. Well I've been snoozing and it aches more then - after inactivity. At the moment, griping the thumb in the hand is painful, without even moving the wrist. It'll ease up though.

Buttercream, fondant or royal? ;)
:rofl: If it's really gnawing at me, I put a damp towel in the freezer for a bit and use that.

Alien
19-04-2007, 04:33
Again, not sure - I think it was a strong dosage over a short period of time. At the moment, I take Ibuprofen or Volterol (I have a few left over from when I did my neck/shoulder in)
My mum was on Volterol for quite a while for arthritis. She nearly ended up on a dialysis machine because of it. Apparantly [I have no idea why] it can really mess up a person's kidneys, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to who gets affected & who doesn't. I had to have them when I had kidney stones, but stopped taking them as soon as the pain reduced enough for normal ibuprofen to be sufficient.

:rofl: If it's really gnawing at me, I put a damp towel in the freezer for a bit and use that.
I had a sore kneck the other week, it's something that happens every now & then. Over-the-counter painkillers weren't quite enough, so I used 1 of those blue ice brick things people use in those cooler boxes, wrapped in a tea-towel. You can probably pick those ice pack things up really cheap from a number of places, I got mine at 2 for 99p in the Co-op.

LSainsbury
19-04-2007, 09:38
I hit my ganglion with a hammer the other day and it went away :)

Did it hurt Zing? Has it gone for good?

I'm tempted to give mine a wack!!! :Yikes:

zing_deleted
19-04-2007, 09:42
Did it hurt Zing? Has it gone for good?

I'm tempted to give mine a wack!!! :Yikes:

1st whack hurt a bit but the second was fine and third then it was gone ;) dunno if it will come back if it does ill hit it again ;)

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

A bible is the traditional way.....

didnt have one handy ;) (see what I did there hehehe)

Ramrod
19-04-2007, 10:26
so I used 1 of those blue ice brick things people use in those cooler boxes, wrapped in a tea-towel. You can probably pick those ice pack things up really cheap from a number of places, I got mine at 2 for 99p in the Co-op.Thats the ticket! ......but it's better to use a malleable gel pack and then lightly wrap that in a tea towel or kitchen roll.
Apply the ice pack to the tender (inflamed) area little and often. Don't leave it on for longer than 20 mins and in a bony area like the wrist, 5 minutes should be enough. After icing the area, let it warm up naturally for about 30-60 minutes and then repeat the icing. It's fiddly and uncomfortable but if you ice frequently throughout the day for a week or so then you might see an improvement. It's also probably beneficial to splint the wrist at night.
The main problem now is that you have had the problem for such a long time. You may need to see an orthopaedic consultant for more aggressive treatment.

zing_deleted
19-04-2007, 10:27
whats wrong with a bag of value peas ;)

Ramrod
19-04-2007, 10:39
whats wrong with a bag of value peas ;)
Oh yeah, them too....or sweetcorn......but patients usually complain that they end up with mushy peas :D

Xaccers
19-04-2007, 11:06
So his thumb isn't likely to fall off?

Ramrod
19-04-2007, 11:13
So his thumb isn't likely to fall off?No, sorry :shrug: :D

Xaccers
19-04-2007, 11:31
No, sorry :shrug: :D

Oh well, maybe next time.

Salu
19-04-2007, 13:09
Heavy mousing, plus I've been painting quite a bit recently, which won't have helped. Oh and pressing the spacebar - I just can't get my brain to use my left hand for pressing the spacebar. Like I said, it comes and goes - can be fine for a few months, and then it'll start aching again.

:scratch: Not sure - certainly more than a year. Was at Uni - 3rd year. So that would be about 4 years actually, now I think.

I can't recall - I think it was a few weeks. I know it was a nuisance.

I've done a bit of research and I think I know what you mean and yes - sort of. It's the bit where the tendons group together that is tender.

Ah right. Well I've been snoozing and it aches more then - after inactivity. At the moment, griping the thumb in the hand is painful, without even moving the wrist. It'll ease up though.

Firstly I think you ought to be seen by your GP to treat this. It's become a chronic problem now and you can't ignore it. It sounds like you have a chronic circle of inflammation versus continual use and the only way you are going to resolve this is by arresting this pattern.
This condition can either be acute or chronic and when it becomes chronic can lead to needing surgery with plaster splintage in some cases.
It's worth treating conservatively first though (as this seems to be an acute exacerbation) with a long course of NSAIDs and proper splintage. The next step would be a corticosteriod injection in the tendon sheath. Getting an accurate diagnosis first is important though. So get yourself to your GP!

Jules
19-04-2007, 14:29
My mum was on Volterol for quite a while for arthritis. She nearly ended up on a dialysis machine because of it. Apparantly [I have no idea why] it can really mess up a person's kidneys, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to who gets affected & who doesn't.

Thanks for the info I have Volterol injections and I didn't know about that :tu:

Good news is that I did that test and I don't have what GK has :D

superbiatch
19-04-2007, 14:48
Is heat or ice best for muscular pain? I've been in chronic pain with a muscular problem in my shoulder (mainly down to poor posture and gets worse with stress) for at least 10 years. I've been to physio which helped initially, but i do get flare-ups occasionally (for instance when i do something stupid like buy new furniture and don't ask for help getting it to my apartment!).

I never know if heat or ice is best in these circumstances and its agony :erm:

Salu
19-04-2007, 14:54
Thanks for the info I have Volterol injections and I didn't know about that :tu:

It may be an analgesic nephropathy he's referring to. This can be induced by long term simple analgesics such as NSAIDs (including voltarol) and paracetamol. It's the most common cause of renal failure....but it doesn't happen to everyone and seems to be more prevalent in women...Its not common though.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Is heat or ice best for muscular pain? I've been in chronic pain with a muscular problem in my shoulder (mainly down to poor posture and gets worse with stress) for at least 10 years. I've been to physio which helped initially, but i do get flare-ups occasionally (for instance when i do something stupid like buy new furniture and don't ask for help getting it to my apartment!).

I never know if heat or ice is best in these circumstances and its agony :erm:

There's arguments supporting both and always provides a lively debate. As a rule though I would say ice for acute injuries and heat for chronic ones.

superbiatch
19-04-2007, 14:57
There's arguments supporting both and always provides a lively debate. As a rule though I would say ice for acute injuries and heat for chronic ones.

And i can't really take much more than anti-inflammatories?

Ramrod
19-04-2007, 15:00
As a rule though I would say ice for acute injuries and heat for chronic ones.:tu: :)

Salu
19-04-2007, 15:14

Well that depends on what you have wrong...

superbiatch
19-04-2007, 15:30
Well that depends on what you have wrong...

Its from poor posture and two whiplash injuries over the years, normally affecting my left shoulder (trapezius). Have received various physio treatments but if i spend any amount of time in front of my pc, i tend to get a burning sensation. Likewise if i'm under any stress or move anything heavy.

At the moment, it feels like it could be a trapped nerve - as its headed up the left side of my neck and down my left arm. got docs appt Tuesday, but its not been this bad in a very long time :(

Jules
19-04-2007, 15:34
It may be an analgesic nephropathy he's referring to. This can be induced by long term simple analgesics such as NSAIDs (including voltarol) and paracetamol. It's the most common cause of renal failure....but it doesn't happen to everyone and seems to be more prevalent in women...Its not common though.

Thanks Salu, good information as always :tu:

Alien
19-04-2007, 15:54
What do you have them for, if you don't mind me asking? If it's arthritis I'll see if I can jog my mum's memory about the stuff she had that worked. All I know is they're some sort of cow-extract, you have to drink lots of water every day with them [at least 2L, IIRC], & there's a bunch of foods you have to avoid when you're on them, including chocolate. Oh, & they're not cheap either. She hasn't had any probs with her knees since though.

No idea what it was, all I know was for a quite a while they couldn't figure out what was doing it, but then they did - just in time. She also said that apparently the duration it takes to cause it can vary, sometimes it's long term as in her case, & sometimes it can happen after just a few days. :shrug:

No idea if they'd help, but you could always try Paramol [not Paracetamol, though they do contain it]. It's the strongest over-the-counter codeine-type painkiller you can buy. It has dihydrocodeine in it, which is double the strength of codeine. 2 of them are roughly equivalent to a single 30mg Co-codamol [which you can't get without prescription].

Salu
19-04-2007, 15:58
Its from poor posture and two whiplash injuries over the years, normally affecting my left shoulder (trapezius). Have received various physio treatments but if i spend any amount of time in front of my pc, i tend to get a burning sensation. Likewise if i'm under any stress or move anything heavy.

At the moment, it feels like it could be a trapped nerve - as its headed up the left side of my neck and down my left arm. got docs appt Tuesday, but its not been this bad in a very long time :(

In my experience the trapezius is often a reflective symptom but not usually causative. In other words when you have a neck problem the trapezius is often affected but the cause usually lies elsewhere.
You'll have to let us know how you got on with your GP. They should be able to give you something on top of or instead of the voltarol though.

greencreeper
20-04-2007, 18:25
Thats the ticket! ......but it's better to use a malleable gel pack and then lightly wrap that in a tea towel or kitchen roll.
<snip>
Noted - thanks :)

The main problem now is that you have had the problem for such a long time. You may need to see an orthopaedic consultant for more aggressive treatment.
Like take the thumb off? Wouldn't be a bad thing - just a nuisance at the moment. And dangerous - might drop something if it twinges at the wrong moment.

Firstly I think you ought to be seen by your GP to treat this <snip>
Yeah - but he'll tell me to stop using a computer, which is like me telling him to stop treating patients. He'll prescribe some NSAIDs, which I take already. Might give me a splint. I can't see him referring me to a consultant.

I'm just trying to understand more about what's wrong.

Ramrod
20-04-2007, 18:59
Like take the thumb off? Wouldn't be a bad thing - just a nuisance at the moment. And dangerous - might drop something if it twinges at the wrong moment.Listen to Salu's advice. It's good. You are probably past the point of being easily treated but if you don't fancy the injection etc. just yet then perhaps try a chiropractor or a private physio for 5-6 visits to see if conservative treatment helps.........but in the meantime push your GP hard to get a referral to an orthopod....

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

At the moment, it feels like it could be a trapped nerve - as its headed up the left side of my neck and down my left arm. got docs appt Tuesday, but its not been this bad in a very long time :(Go see a decent chiro or osteopath......and sort out your posture in front of the PC.....

Salu
23-04-2007, 12:07
Noted - thanks :)
Yeah - but he'll tell me to stop using a computer, which is like me telling him to stop treating patients. He'll prescribe some NSAIDs, which I take already. Might give me a splint. I can't see him referring me to a consultant.

I'm just trying to understand more about what's wrong.

If I've interpreted you correctly; what's the point of knowing more about it if you don't take steps to treat it? Providing we have the correct diagnosis of course...

You'll need to take a longer course of NSAIDs with splintage in order to break the cycle of inflammation rather than resuming the remainder of the voltarol you have from a previous condition? It's unlikely to go away on it's own now.

Have you explored using ergonomic keyboards and a different mouse/trackerball (sp?)

greencreeper
23-04-2007, 18:49
If I've interpreted you correctly; what's the point of knowing more about it if you don't take steps to treat it? Providing we have the correct diagnosis of course...
The informed patient. I think there were studies that showed that patients who understood their illness, healed faster than those who didn't :erm:

You'll need to take a longer course of NSAIDs with splintage in order to break the cycle of inflammation rather than resuming the remainder of the voltarol you have from a previous condition? It's unlikely to go away on it's own now.
It's likel having an army of mums is this forum :) I guess I know the hand has had it, but I can either give up my career and spend a life on the dole, or, erm, not. I'll see if I can arrange to see the doc - see what he has to say. Probably not a lot.

Have you explored using ergonomic keyboards and a different mouse/trackerball (sp?)
I have a gel rest for the keyboard and mouse, both at work and at home. I've tried a trackerball - the mouse pointer is hard to control. I'd get stressed. Plus, the girl at work who has one, we keep hiding the ball :D

Alien
23-04-2007, 23:21
It's likel having an army of mums is this forum :) I guess I know the hand has had it, but I can either give up my career and spend a life on the dole, or, erm, not. I'll see if I can arrange to see the doc - see what he has to say. Probably not a lot.
Can't you use your mouse with your other hand? I'm pretty good at using mine with either hand.

I have a gel rest for the keyboard and mouse, both at work and at home. I've tried a trackerball - the mouse pointer is hard to control. I'd get stressed.
I've not used 1 myself, but have you considered something like the Space Navigator (http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/3a1d.php)? The PE version can be had for about £40 from Scan (http://www.scan.co.uk/search/search.asp?criteria=3Dconnexion&Submit=Go).

Apparently the difference between the PE [Personal Edition] & SE [Standard Edition] is that with the PE you get "non-commercial use license & online support only", & "commercial use license & full support" with the SE.

Plus, the girl at work who has one, we keep hiding the ball :D
That's the sort of thing schoolboys do to girls they fancy, you're not turning straight on us are you? :p:

greencreeper
24-04-2007, 00:16
Can't you use your mouse with your other hand? I'm pretty good at using mine with either hand
Some things I can do with either hand; some things I can only do with one hand. Mouse and spacebar are definitely right-handed.

I've not used 1 myself, but have you considered something like the Space Navigator (http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/3a1d.php)? The PE version can be had for about £40 from Scan (http://www.scan.co.uk/search/search.asp?criteria=3Dconnexion&Submit=Go)
Looks interesting but it doesn't say what it's for - doesn't seem to be a replacement for a mouse. Still - it's an idea :)

I quite like the idea of metal tendons a la Terminator. Would have no trouble then. It must be possible.

That's the sort of thing schoolboys do to girls they fancy, you're not turning straight on us are you? :p:
Nah :D

danielf
24-04-2007, 00:24
Some things I can do with either hand; some things I can only do with one hand. Mouse and spacebar are definitely right-handed.

Have you tried (actively)? I'm extremely left handed, but when my wrist got sore I decided to give right hand mousing a try. It was awkward at first, but I got used to it. These days I use the mouse with my right hand on some machines, and my left hand on other machines. It works very well for me.

Alien
24-04-2007, 00:47
Looks interesting but it doesn't say what it's for - doesn't seem to be a replacement for a mouse. Still - it's an idea :)
It's for all sorts of things, it comes ready to use on a whole bunch of software, & apparently you can also change the settings so that its movement axes & buttons will perform functions you assign to them in progs not already catered to.

Not having 1 [though I'm considering it if I get the money spare], I don't know how well it would do as a total mouse replacement, but it might reduce the burden on your mousing hand.

I quite like the idea of metal tendons a la Terminator. Would have no trouble then. It must be possible.
I wouldn't mind metal teeth [or at least 1] right about now. :(

Have you tried (actively)? I'm extremely left handed, but when my wrist got sore I decided to give right hand mousing a try. It was awkward at first, but I got used to it. These days I use the mouse with my right hand on some machines, and my left hand on other machines. It works very well for me.
Same with me, except I'm right handed, & my main reason for using my left hand was laziness. When sitting up [ordinary bed, but it doubles in useage as a sofa] I use my right hand for mousing, but if I'm lying down on my side [1st thing in the morning or late at night] just reading then I use my left hand.

Maggy
24-04-2007, 00:54
When I had a similar condition I bought a phaser mouse like this one (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=615774) though mine wasn't a wireless one.

I think my son used it to fuel his Star Trek fantasy..until it broke because it got dropped once too often..and by that time my condition improved.:D

PS you can use this one in either hand no problem.

danielf
24-04-2007, 01:01
When I had a similar condition I bought a phaser mouse like this one (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=615774) though mine wasn't a wireless one.

That's a trackball really?

Maggy
24-04-2007, 01:11
That's a trackball really?

which is held like a phaser in the hand..mind my problem was caused by leaning my wrist constantly against the edge of the table.Once I stopped doing that it improved and got better.

greencreeper
24-04-2007, 18:43
Yeah - I can use my left hand but the mouse pointer tends to run away. I move for the OK button and either over or under shoot it. It's frustrating. Plus it just doesn't feel right somehow :erm:

I'll have to have a look at the, um, "mouse alternatives" - see if I can find one I like.

Alien
25-04-2007, 11:07
Yeah - I can use my left hand but the mouse pointer tends to run away. I move for the OK button and either over or under shoot it. It's frustrating. Plus it just doesn't feel right somehow :erm:
I felt the same way when I first tried left-handed mousing, it just takes practice.

Maggy
25-04-2007, 11:48
I felt the same way when I first tried left-handed mousing, it just takes practice.

Agreed!However many a person losing the use of their writing hand has managed to make the transition.It's just a matter of concentration and practise I found.

greencreeper
30-04-2007, 21:41
Well the hand is well and truly stuffed - whole thing went Saturday night. Wrist is all swollen bellow the thumb. Very painful making certain movements, and first thing on a morning I can hardly move it at all. Had to try to lift a carpet on Sunday, which was a struggle - could barely lift a hammer. I've had to switch to my left hand for mousing, which is driving me nuts - nigh on impossible to work with images. I'm icing it regularly, taking the NSAIDs, and I've made an appointment with the locum - Dr Joseph. Hopefully he's not a carpenter :erm:

Fed up :cry: Old age isn't that great :mis:

Alien
01-05-2007, 01:57
I've had to switch to my left hand for mousing, which is driving me nuts - nigh on impossible to work with images.
Don't worry, it'll get easier with practice. :)

Old age isn't that great :mis:
Old? You haven't even reached 30 yet!

Jules
01-05-2007, 11:29
Sorry to hear that GK what has the doctor said?

Maggy
01-05-2007, 13:41
Fed up :cry: Old age isn't that great :mis:

Do you REALLY want to get into a discussion of old age pains and stresses?'Cos I can beat your hand problem with my worn out knees and bad back plus tennis elbow and shoulder and the menopause and possible carpel tunnel syndrome.Oh and the occasional stiff neck from my last car crash whiplash injury.Oh and you should see the mapwork of varicose veins I have........Never mind the recurring dizzy spells from that awful viral ear infection I caught last year.:(

However I guess you are in such pain...I hesitate to offer any advice because you really need the doctor to sort you out...I will however say that what has helped me is IBULEVE gel which you rub into the affected area..

Ramrod
01-05-2007, 14:12
Well the hand is well and truly stuffed - whole thing went Saturday night. Wrist is all swollen bellow the thumb. Very painful making certain movements, and first thing on a morning I can hardly move it at all. Had to try to lift a carpet on Sunday, which was a struggle - could barely lift a hammer. I've had to switch to my left hand for mousing, which is driving me nuts - nigh on impossible to work with images. I'm icing it regularly, taking the NSAIDs, and I've made an appointment with the locum - Dr Joseph. Hopefully he's not a carpenter :erm:

Fed up :cry: Old age isn't that great :mis:Injection time......imo....:(

greencreeper
01-05-2007, 18:47
Sorry to hear that GK what has the doctor said?
I see him Friday morning. It was either that or a six hour wait in casualty with a load of drunks and IV drug users.

Do you REALLY want to get into a discussion of old age pains and stresses?
Not really :D You win, Coggy - hope your aches and pains ease :)

Injection time......imo....:(
Will have to see what the Doc says. I don't really trust GPs with needles. Not a lot of practice at using them.

Salu
10-12-2007, 13:36
How did you get on with this Greencreeper?

greencreeper
10-12-2007, 22:48
I never went to see the GP - can't recall why. Probably got up late :dozey: Or just decided that he wouldn't do much other than what I was already doing. The hand is fine at the moment, but it does go through these phases of being fine, then very painful for about a month, then settles down again. It's helped a lot using the mouse in my left hand at work and my right at home. Plus my job is more varied now, so less concentrated use of the mouse. I still get the odd twinge or short-lived ache.

There are some interesting videos on YouTube by a chap who's a hand surgeon. You wouldn't think tendons look the way they do. I imagined tubes with the tendon inside, but they're more like that reinforced parcel tape - the one with bands of string in it. I have a better understanding of what is going on inside my thumb/hand, which is good.

I guess one day it will be permanent :(

[edit] I can be quite defeatist, which I tend to be when I'm down and fed up. It wouldn't be the first time I decided not to bother the Doc after all.

Alien
10-12-2007, 23:14
GC: have you tried a powerball? I find using mine reduces mousing-induced aches.

homealone
11-12-2007, 01:34
GC: have you tried a powerball? I find using mine reduces mousing-induced aches.

me too, I should use it more often :)

greencreeper
11-12-2007, 10:35
Yeah - have a powerball. Could never get the hang of it, and I got the string all wrapped around the insides - took a bit of sorting. The human body just isn't meant for what we use it for today :shrug:

Alien
11-12-2007, 14:13
Yeah - have a powerball. Could never get the hang of it, and I got the string all wrapped around the insides - took a bit of sorting.
1. holding ball in the hand you intend to use it with, push end of string into hole set at intervals in the groove/slot around the ball's equator.
2. rotate ball until hole that string end was pushed into is hidden beneath ball casing [the outer bit that you hold].
3. place index finger of other hand at the opposite edge of the outer ball opening, applying gentle pressure to the groove around the equator of the ball, to keep string in the groove.
4. using thumb of hand you intend to use ball with, rotate inner ball until there is only about 1.5-2" string free outside the ball.
5. holding inner ball still with thumb, wrap the free end of the string around index finger that was previously being used to hold string in groove.
6. simultaneously lift thumb off inner ball & yank string out of ball with other hand.

The important part to getting the knack of keeping the powerball spinning is not to look at it, & not base the movement on what you see, but on what you feel. Imagine that instead of holding a powerball, you're holding a jumbo aerosol can by its top, & that you're moving the far end of it in a big circle, whilst keeping your arm still; only moving your hand/wrist. If you pay attention to how it feels rather than the what you see when you do it, you should find it easier to get the hang of it.

The human body just isn't meant for what we use it for today :shrug:
:erm: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alien42/smilies/tmi2.gif

greencreeper
11-12-2007, 22:54
:LOL: at the "TMI" - I meant things like our hands being used for computing and other repetitive tasks that our ancestors would never have done.

Hugh
11-12-2007, 22:56
:LOL: at the "TMI" - I meant things like our hands being used for computing and other repetitive tasks that our ancestors would never have done.
But on the bright side, we don't (speaking personally) have to swing from trees or scrape the raw meat from scavenged kills with flints, so swings and roundabouts I suppose...... ;)

homealone
11-12-2007, 23:19
But on the bright side, we don't (speaking personally) have to swing from trees or scrape the raw meat from scavenged kills with flints, so swings and roundabouts I suppose...... ;)

I'm sure Ramrod can do us a summary of 'flint knappers finger' ;)

'Aliens' advice to feel what the powerball is doing, rather than look at it, is good

- also listen to the difference your input makes to the rotation speed, close your eyes, even if you have a neon ;)

Alien
12-12-2007, 00:43
Are things really all that different?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=15507&stc=1&d=1197419949
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=15505&stc=1&d=1197419803
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=15506&stc=1&d=1197419878

greencreeper
13-12-2007, 23:09
Fair point :D

Liking the cartoons, Alien, though I think you and your powerball spend too much time alone :p:

Alien
13-12-2007, 23:18
Liking the cartoons, Alien, though I think you and your powerball spend too much time alone :p:
"Too much" is a relative term. ;) For those who actually consider socializing a pleasant & relaxing way to occupy their time, perhaps. For those who find a trip to the dentist less of an ordeal, not so much. :)