PDA

View Full Version : Casual mobile connection to Broadband

Traffico3
17-04-2007, 22:29
Now that Virgin has taken over NTL, are there any chances of using the Virgin mobile phone system to link a laptop to NTL/Virgin broadband. From time to time I am stuck out in the wilds, no wi-fi possibilities. Ordinary pay as you go mobile could prove highly expensive for internet use. A setup perhaps with Virgin PAYG mobile would prove very useful.
Ordinary WI-Fi can obviously present problems, when the latter is within range. There have been a couple of arrests for what is called, 'WI-FI theft.
Contact direct with Virgin Media is prevented, due to no update for ntl customer like me not havin as yet been brought upto date.

Paul K
18-04-2007, 07:24
It would still be expensive even if it could be introduced into a package. Why do you say direct contact with VM is prevented?
VM Contact info (http://www.virginmedia.com/contact/contact1.php?category=portal&app=contact)

Traffico3
18-04-2007, 11:42
According to al the gumph on their web page. My NTL password etc is not accepted for VM. I have two choices. 1. Use ordinary email to customer services ntl or 2. Wait until VM catch up with providing latest info to old members.

Thanks for your reply.

Paul K
18-04-2007, 11:57
So when you click this (http://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/html/customer_feedback/customer_feedback_querytype_1.html) you have to use your password and user name?

bywater
18-04-2007, 12:59
"Now that Virgin has taken over NTL, are there any chances of using the Virgin mobile phone system to link a laptop to NTL/Virgin broadband. From time to time I am stuck out in the wilds, no wi-fi possibilities. Ordinary pay as you go mobile could prove highly expensive for internet use. A setup perhaps with Virgin PAYG mobile would prove very useful."

T-mobile do a webnwalk plus package for £10 a month ontop of your monthly price plan. The phone I have allows me to connect to laptop and fairly easy to set up. You can get good speeds depending on where you are. I get about 81 Kbs in the house and about 200Kbs outside but you can get broadband speeds if you have the right equipment. I think its great as back up and lovely to pop down to the local caff for breakky and a surf. Free at last from the desk top. ;) Oh by the way there is a download limit of 3Gb a month which I think is ample for ocassional use. Not sure but doesn't Virgin Mobile use or rent the T-Mobile system anyway ?

Paul K
18-04-2007, 13:13
Think they piggyback on it.

ShadowTD
18-04-2007, 14:42
Keerect - Virgin are a MVNO - 'Mobile Virtual Network Operator'. Virgin have never really been much for mobile data, either GPRS or 3G. Possible reasons include:

1)Doesn't fit with target market. VMobile always stated they were after the hip young gunslinger and data doesn't *really* fit in here.
2)The cost to Virgin for data from T-Mobile is prohibitively high in the agreement - high enough to prevent Virgin from offering decent data tarrifs. Chances of this getting re-negotiated, considering the spat they had with T-Mobile over charges a couple of years back - naff all.

So in all honesty, no. :(

bonzoe
18-04-2007, 18:23
According to al the gumph on their web page. My NTL password etc is not accepted for VM. I have two choices. 1. Use ordinary email to customer services ntl or 2. Wait until VM catch up with providing latest info to old members.

Thanks for your reply.

The same happened to me, for some reason they decided to use another of my NTL e-mail accounts as the account holder - my wife's account. Think I found this by going on to webmail to manage accounts, saw that not all the household accounts were listed under my main account - went from there. HTH

Traffico3
18-04-2007, 18:27
Thanks for all the replies. Looks as though I will be staying put.

Answer to Paul's question. Any attempt to communicate with VM/NTL using their webpage facility fails , as my ntl details are not as per VM. Ordinary email is the last resort. Customer services @ntl world .com This translates as. http\\. www.ntl.co/home/contact/customer (http://www.ntl.co/home/contact/customer) services/default.asp?
As I say I'ff forget about it and stay as I am.