PDA

View Full Version : Opening ports

Crucible
17-04-2007, 17:18
Hey,

My first thread, sorry if I'm not clear enough.

Basically, using the ShieldsUp port tool, it's consistently telling me that my ports are closed.

I have narrowed down the problem to my external interenet connection;
My computer is clean booted, no programs open, so no firewall is active. The router is not plugged in, but my computer is plugged straight into the modem.

It is a direct cable link, yet the ports are still closed.

I need to have the ports opened under certain circumstances as I'm trying to get a game working, but without them opening, the update download stalls.

I'm at my wits end, been trying to weeks now >.<

If it makes a difference, the modem is NTL... We still have that from the merge.

Thanks in advance.

DocDutch
17-04-2007, 17:24
:welcome: 1st of all

okay which firewall you using on your computer, cuz that is probably blocking the ports that you need to use. the firewall always goies on as soon as you are logged into the computer so you cant really switch that off oither then right clicking on the icon of it.

Crucible
17-04-2007, 17:27
I'm 100% sure the firewall is off.
It's an nVidia firewall, but I uninstalled it.
The Windows firewall was disabled via the command prompt, there's no way that was active.

To check this I tested it on 3 different computer with the firewall off, same results.

Stuart
17-04-2007, 18:09
TBH, it sounds like the firewall is still there. Apparently, the Nvidia install has a habit of not fully uninstalling the firewall

I can't try them out, as I don't use Nvidia firewall, but there are instructions on removing it at http://www.thesmarts.ca/node/229?PHPSESSID=de6f7c2aeed45eab522bc348c1d20076

BTW, what game are you trying to use?

homealone
17-04-2007, 18:20
have you tried connecting the router & opening the ports you need on that?

xspeedyx
17-04-2007, 19:04
when using windows fire wall when you fire up the client u need like uttorrent that needs the ports open it should ask you if u wanna allow the prog that will let you use the ports needed what program u using that need ports opened

Cerberus
17-04-2007, 19:08
http://portforward.com/

Any help?

Crucible
17-04-2007, 19:33
I'm fairly sure I've got the techincal side nailed.
The router is configured properly when it is plugged in, and as for the firewall, you may have a point, but with the other computers, where it was never installed, the problem still occurs.

The problem I'm having, I'm fairly sure, is with the connection coming from the ISP, the modem, or something behind that point.

Everything coming off the modem is, I'm 100% sure, configured correctly.

Does anyone know of Virgin blocking any ports? Or an old NTL modem blocking ports?

Thanks for your replies.

homealone
17-04-2007, 20:07
I'm fairly sure I've got the techincal side nailed.
The router is configured properly when it is plugged in, and as for the firewall, you may have a point, but with the other computers, where it was never installed, the problem still occurs.

The problem I'm having, I'm fairly sure, is with the connection coming from the ISP, the modem, or something behind that point.

Everything coming off the modem is, I'm 100% sure, configured correctly.

Does anyone know of Virgin blocking any ports? Or an old NTL modem blocking ports?

Thanks for your replies.

VM do block some ports, but not any that would be used by games, as far as I know - or I'd imagine the forums would be full of people with the same problem.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/11/ntl_port_blocking_plan/

:)