PDA

View Full Version : How can I estimate what me likely speed will be?

gargoyle_user
16-04-2007, 17:07
Hello. I am looking for a 4 mb internet connection (excuse bad teminology I am not well versed). I have been led to Virgin media since cable is available in my area. If I join the 10mb service what actual speed will I get, since I notice it says "up to" and judging by the posts on here I don't think everyone is getting 10? If I ask virgin will the tell me up front what my likely speed will be?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: By the way, for reference, I live in southend on sea, Essex.

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 17:16
:welcome: to the forum!

You should expect 9-10Mb as it's cable not ADSL but of course there's always people that have speed issues. :)

gargoyle_user
16-04-2007, 17:18
Really? That is excellent! I would be extremely chuffed with 9 mb! I had a quick scan of the topics around here and some people seem to be not getting their full quota, are they just really unlucky then?

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 17:22
Well, what's even better is than in the next couple of months you will get upgraded to 20Mb! :)

zeus9876
16-04-2007, 17:29
I used to be on the 10mb service and was getting 1200kb/s on the newsgroups. But this morning i was upgraded to the 20mb services so am now getting 2400kb/s

bopdude
16-04-2007, 18:06
You should expect 9-10Mb as it's cable not ADSL but of course there's always people that have speed issues. :)

Interesting, and on what do base this 'guess' ?

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 18:08
Interesting, and on what do base this 'guess' ?

Because it isn't affected by line quality and how far you live from the exchange...?

bopdude
16-04-2007, 18:13
Because it isn't affected by line quality and how far you live from the exchange...?

So what is it affected by ?

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 18:18

I suppose it's only affected by the network infrastructure?

bopdude
16-04-2007, 18:21

I suppose it's only affected by the network infrastructure?

And how is the infrastructure in Southend ?

papa smurf
16-04-2007, 18:23
i have vm 10 meg and i get 9-10 meg constantly ..no complaints:tu:

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 18:27
And how is the infrastructure in Southend ?

Wouldn't have a clue mate. :)

bopdude
16-04-2007, 18:43
And how is the infrastructure in Southend ?Wouldn't have a clue mate. :)

Mmmm, just wondered how you could tell a person that they would get near as damn it full speed without knowing their particular circumstances.

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 19:17
Mmmm, just wondered how you could tell a person that they would get near as damn it full speed without knowing their particular circumstances.

I understand your point, but I reckon he will get 9-10Mb as Virgin Media are going to upgrade the 10Mb service. I don't think Virgin Media would upgrade 10Mb to 20Mb unless they thought the network infrastructure was good enough. :)

Woohoo my 2,000th post!! ;)

DieDieMyDarling
16-04-2007, 20:31
I understand your point, but I reckon he will get 9-10Mb as Virgin Media are going to upgrade the 10Mb service. I don't think Virgin Media would upgrade 10Mb to 20Mb unless they thought the network infrastructure was good enough. :)

Woohoo my 2,000th post!! ;)
They did it with 10mb in the first place. Hence all the posts on this forum from people on 10mb getting speeds as low as 1mb.
Personally i get 7mb, always have since they implemented 10mb, which although i'm happy enough with, is still quite short of the 9/10mb you're advising.

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 20:48
Well, if I wasn't getting 9/10Mb on a soon to be 20Mb cable service, then I would definitely complain to VM.

Chris W
16-04-2007, 20:52
I think the point trying to be made is that with cable it is much much harder to predict how fast a connection will be-

with adsl you can say that as the line is over Xkm then you won't achieve more than Xmb, but the cable technology is different. Your speed will be affected by the quality of your cable from you to the street cabinet, your position in the street cabinet, loads at the UBR, how busy the channel you are on is, how good the infrastructure is further onto the network, etc etc.

However this information is not publically available, so unless someone who knows has a bit of inside information about VMs networks comes along then you are unlikely to get better guidance. Even then you will not be able to get a definate answer. Having been around these parts for a while, i can tell you that there are a large number of people who are getting very close to 10meg speeds, and also a number of people who are having issues. However, now the proxy servers have been removed there are fewer speed problems than there were.

Virgin have a 30 day money back guarantee anyhow, so my advice would be get it installed, and if your getting crappy speeds cancel and get a service from someone else :)

Nikesh
16-04-2007, 21:18
I can tell you that there are a large number of people who are getting very close to 10meg speeds, and also a number of people who are having issues.

Thanks Chris, that was the point I was trying to get across. With cable you are more likely to get full speed than with ADSL.

Sorry to the other guys for not making my point properly. :)

Nevermind1994
17-04-2007, 00:47
You will also find that the ones that don't get the full speeds will moan about it so it just seems there are a higher percentage having problems than there really is.

gargoyle_user
17-04-2007, 17:12
Thanks guys thats great. Cheers for the info.

Bat21UK
06-05-2007, 16:31
anyone no when the 20 meg is to come to southend

peanut
06-05-2007, 16:41
You can't estimate anything on VM. Before the 'upgrade' I used to get 10mb consistantly,never had a prob, never flunctuated either.

Since the upgrade I can hit 20mb max but only now at certain times, very early hours and morning. But in the afternoons and peak times (prior to throttling) it varies to almost a ramdom figure, but always totally inconsistant. (see attachment).

Sometime I can get 1.7mb/s (about 16.5mb) other times I'm lucky to get over 10mb (1.22mb/s).

So the throttling is just something else to add on top everything else, sometimes I wished I was back on 10mb without all these 'new' problems. At least I knew where I stood.

I'd like to see what gaming pings are like these days.

Chris W
06-05-2007, 16:47
anyone no when the 20 meg is to come to southend

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

peanut
06-05-2007, 16:49

Which is about as useful as *£&(!. According to that Colchester doesn't appear to be 'done' but I've had the 20mb upgrade since the 1st of May.

I hope "To Be Announced" answer your question, lol. Utterly pointless going to that link.

Bat21UK
06-05-2007, 19:11

southend is not on there so was asking if anyone new when

Chris W
06-05-2007, 19:43
southend is not on there so was asking if anyone new when

I would classify it as "Basildon area" so according to that site it will be this month.

Vlad_Dracul
08-05-2007, 22:19
Hello. I am looking for a 4 mb internet connection (excuse bad teminology I am not well versed). I have been led to Virgin media since cable is available in my area. If I join the 10mb service what actual speed will I get, since I notice it says "up to" and judging by the posts on here I don't think everyone is getting 10? If I ask virgin will the tell me up front what my likely speed will be?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: By the way, for reference, I live in southend on sea, Essex.

Expecting, paying for and getting are very different things when dealing with VM. For example, i have a 2mb connection, i do simple web browsing and read emails. Thats it. I could theoretically do that on a 56k dial up but i dont like to wait too long. Thats why I pay VM. Now then, when i web browse I click...........then nothing..............i peer hopefully at my cable modem but alas, there is no flicker from the US/DS lights. My request has disappeared into the either,presumably a DNS server is having a think about it and wait...yes here is comes,a few k of data,then.......stop......then a bit more.....then a bit more. With any luck I'll get the full page up before I get bored and switch off.