PDA

View Full Version : Wireless & Vista

jayandfoo
15-04-2007, 11:41
Here's hoping someone can help me.....

For my sins, got a Vista Laptop a couple of weeks ago. Has only ever been connected to the internet wirelessly through my router and has been consistently fine up until yesterday.....

The laptop automatically goes into sleep mode after about 5 mins, and after it doing this yesterday, I logged back on to find that I couldn't connect to the internet. It's telling me that I have 'local access' only.

I thought it may have been an issue with my VM broadband so checked on my Apple iBook and it's all working perfectly so I don't think it is an issue from VM end.

I've tried restarting the laptop and modem and router, assigning a static IP address, but I'm still getting 'Local Access' only.

Has anyone experienced this?

Graham M
15-04-2007, 11:48
When you set a static IP, did you set the correct Gateway?

jayandfoo
15-04-2007, 12:02
When you set a static IP, did you set the correct Gateway?

Honestly? I don't know :(

I disabled IPv6 and assigned a static IP address. I used 192.168.1.200 for the IP. 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask. and 192.168.1.1 for default gateway and 192.168.1.1 for DNS Server.

Graham M
15-04-2007, 12:02
Hmm well this can change entirely from router to router, what router are you using? Also note that I've known Firewalls to block DHCP requests before.

jayandfoo
15-04-2007, 12:14
The wireless router is a Buffalo WYR G54

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/buffalo-airstation-wyrg54-cable-router-p-186.html

ic2
15-04-2007, 12:47
Have you tried right clicking the network icon on the task bar and selecting "Diagnose & Repair?

Cobbydaler
15-04-2007, 13:52
Honestly? I don't know :(

I disabled IPv6 and assigned a static IP address. I used 192.168.1.200 for the IP. 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask. and 192.168.1.1 for default gateway and 192.168.1.1 for DNS Server.

The wyr-g54 IP is 192.168.11.1 if you haven't changed it from the default...

nffc
15-04-2007, 22:52
does this only happen when you let it go into standby/sleep?

spdabbs
16-04-2007, 01:54
It is possible that the onboard wireless is turning itself off to save power. On a lappy there's usually an Fn key combo to enable it, first try that. Next step is to stop it turning itself off. If your PC has its own power management software (Acer is one that does for sure), make sure that's set to leave wifi alone on both battery and mains. Also, check the Power Options - Advanced Power Settings in Control Panel to make it leave the wifi on regardless of how the PC is being powered.

Lord Nikon
16-04-2007, 02:33
Sounds feasible that the laptop powered down the wireless card to save power, check also if there is a button or switch on the front of the machine, or next to the power button below the screen to switch the wireless back on.

Which laptop is it, and which version of vista?

richfromhudds
16-04-2007, 08:02
I have had this problem about 4 or 5 times with different PC's and Laptops running vista and usually its to do with the WEP Key which needs to be re entered.. Its either got corrupted or the setting were wrong, or its set to open instead of shared key.. you need to go into managed wireless network connections and click on to network you are having problems with and right click and go on to properties, and change it from there (I think as PC i am working on at the mo is XP).

jayandfoo
18-04-2007, 19:56
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Ok, firstly, I checked my wireless status, and all is fine - there is a switch on the front, which lights up when it is it, but additionally the laptop is picking up the wireless connection, but only 'Local Access'.

Tried re-entering the WEP key over and over again, this doesn't resolve it either. Apparently this is happening to a lot of people, so i consulted the Microsoft website and they advised me to change the power management, to ensure wireless is 'always on'. Again, no joy.

Tried the diagnose and repair option, Windows is saying it can't find the issue.

I am running Windows Vista Home basic. My laptop is this (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0255343351.117692243 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcaddkjkkifehcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&sku=922725&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&tabIndex=1) one.

Am really at a loss. Have Googled endlessly and loads of people have this problem, but there doesn't seem to be a resolve.

It happened when it went into sleep mode, but as I haven't been able to get back on since, don't know if this is what caused the issue - it had never happened previously when going into to sleep mode.

Am totally stumped :confused:

nicke261192
18-04-2007, 20:52
Reset your router?

jayandfoo
18-04-2007, 21:03
Reset your router?

Yep, it was one of the first things I did although have done it a couple of times since.

Calumt
18-04-2007, 21:36
There is apparently a bug with Vista that effects DHCP, I have heard about it on Desktops and Laptops using Wireless hotspots. There is apparently a bug fix that is available on the Microsoft webpage

Calum

PlanBee
18-04-2007, 22:19
I've got five Vista Ultimates here at home, all wireless and all without problems - and that's been the case since beta 1.

Could it be that the laptop is failing to get a TCP/IP - is a firewall preventing DHCP requests, this happened to me with XP. Is there an updated driver for the wireless card in the laptop... or bios... Don't assume Windows update will find all the updates.

Have you tried removing the wireless card from device manager and setting up from scratch... here end'eth my 2 pence worth :-)

Lord Nikon
20-04-2007, 16:13
I would try installing netstumbler and seeing if the laptop is picking up any wireless systems...

spdabbs
21-04-2007, 11:33
If it's only giving local access, it's possible you're not configured correctly. In the Network & Sharing Center, ensure Network Type is set to Private and Network Discovery is enabled.

tom4mos
23-04-2007, 12:41
jayandfoo, did you ever sort this out? my gf's mum's vista laptop is doing the same. says local connection only but it has been working fine for the last 3 weeks and now has just died! :(