PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity!!!!

diniro69
14-04-2007, 00:00
hi all....i want to connect my pc and ps3 to the internet using an ethernet cable....my pc is upstairs and ps3 downstairs in the living room, i've brought a 25m crossover ethernet cable. I have a seperate broadband adsl sagem modem. Does anybody know the procedure this intails, im also running windows vista home premium, will this cause any problems connecting to the internet as new OS always have probs!! all i know is there will be a few things that need to be checked in windows connection settings....cheers Dom.:dozey:

icestar2
14-04-2007, 13:56
Hmmm you bought a crossover cable so I am assuming you are gonna run your PS3 online through internet sharing on your pc right ?

Thats how I have mine setup but its on xp - I also have vista 6 month trial installed so I will have a look on it to see if it can be run with the same setup as xp if thats what your trying to do.

diniro69
14-04-2007, 14:46
hi icestar...yeah, thats right, throught internet sharing!! couldn't remember the phrase!! your help i would much appreciate, or if u know anybody else that might know, wish id stuck with windows xp now......thanks.:tu:

icestar2
14-04-2007, 16:09
Right ok then - Well I will tell you how I set mine up in xp. You can try this way in vista and see if it works but I aint sure yet if it does. If not let me know and then I will have a look at my vista and see whats diffrent.

Xp setting's:-

Ok so firstly you need to enable internet connection sharing on your pc. To do this go to control panel-network and internet connections-network connections. Now right click the connection that your internet comes through and click properties. Next click the advanced tab and were it says internet connection sharing put a tick in the box that says allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection. That should now allow your PS3 to access the internet. (you may have to reboot your pc after doing this, you can also do it through the wizard but I find that just creates problems and the way I did it works perfectly for me.)

Now connect your crossover cable to a spare ethernet port on your PC and into the ethernet port on the PS3. Now you should be able to go to your PS3 network setting and set it up for online. Just follow the PS3 on screen instructions from here and everything should run smoothly hopefully.

Note this was the setup for xp - vista may be diffrent but I have not checked so if it is let me know and I will look into it for you soon as I get time.

Good luck :)

P.s. if you do get it online my PS3 username is darkliquid. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish :)

diniro69
14-04-2007, 19:38
hi icestar......thats some explanation!!, but cheers i really appreciate it...im away most of the weekend, so hopefully i'll try and hook things up monday or tuesday....i'll let u know whats happenning, thanks 4 the help, and i'll make a note of your online user name...cheers Dom. :) :tu:

diniro69
17-04-2007, 14:09
hello again....everything is connected via ethernet cable from pc to ps3, its a little different on vista setting up, but i've enabled internet connection sharing, buy ticking the box and also re-booted the computer, but i still can't connect! my normal internet connection states that it is connected via private network and then i have the ethernet connection that says it is an unidentified network, access: limited connectivity via public network, im tempted to try and fiddle about with the settings, but that might make things worse. i go through the ps3 settings custom and easy, wired connection, etc ctc and when i get through to the final bit of activation, it says obtaining ip address failed, internet connection -, the attempt to obtain an ip address timed out. help...... Dom.:erm:

icestar2
17-04-2007, 16:36
Sounds like another of vista's bloody security features to me. I will do my best to look into how its setup via vista either later today or tomorrow and will let you know what I find.

icestar2
17-04-2007, 23:36
Right well I had a complete pc meltdown today lol and have had to reinstall alot of stuff. Now am gonna have to repair my vista install to. So soon as its all done I will check this out for you m8, sorry if it takes a while but I didnt expect my pc to decide to have a heart attack today.

diniro69
18-04-2007, 10:54
no worries...........:D

diniro69
20-04-2007, 13:40
had to buy a new modem router, but all connected up now and ready to go, hope to cu online!!!:angel:

icestar2
20-04-2007, 16:09
Good to hear m8. Hope to see you online soon.

batman7289
27-09-2007, 06:59
hey i dont kno if anyone uses this thread anymore but heres my problem, i got a laptop with a connection to the internet via lynksys wireless theres no problem with that, im trying to connect my ps3 to this connection, im using the ethernet cable that came with the ps3 and connecting computer and ps3. it seems to work, meaning i get a connection to the internet on my ps3 but for some reason playstation network refuses to work. im sharing the connecection the way icestar said to buuut ye the network thing is still not available

ps. anyone kno the range of a ps3 wireless system im only about 75 ft from the router and my laptops working fine well anyhelp would be very much appreciated