PDA

View Full Version : Conecting to the internet with vista pc

djmagnifique
12-04-2007, 16:13
Hi, a friend of mine has just bought a new pc whit vista installed on it however he is unable to connect to the internet at all. he called tech support and was told that it was because microsoft hadnt released the codes required to go online yet (this sounds like a pile of bull to me) and that virgin had hired a hacker to hack the o/s to get the codes. He was then told that his details would be passed to the hacker to cll him with the required info once they had it.

Now I dont believe this as I'm sure i've read other threads whre people have been able to connect to the web using vista.

Can anyone tell me what settings I need to set for him to be able to get on the web.

He is using an ntl 250 modem via the ethernet port.

Cheers

Graham M
12-04-2007, 16:15
It is a Pile of Bull, plug the Modem into the PC via Ethernet, reboot the Cable Modem (turn it off and on) and Boot the PC and he should be on the Internet without touching anything else.

djmagnifique
12-04-2007, 16:16
Cheers zeph i'll give it a go later

Anyone else got any ideas I can try if this doesnt work?

Graham M
12-04-2007, 17:03
There isn't anything else really, as far as I am aware there are no USB drivers for Vista yet (and anyway USB should be avoided like the plague where possible) Just to make sure the LAN Connection is set up to Pick up an IP and DNS settings automatically and you should be game on

Lord Nikon
12-04-2007, 18:23
Had the same post from the same user over on cablehell, and strangely enough he was given the same advice :D one really has to wonder what some of these VM callcenter staff have been smoking in order to give advice such as that.

djmagnifique
13-04-2007, 16:39
got it sorted, did the above btu it didnt work. turned out it was running in off line mode.

Graham M
13-04-2007, 16:40
turned out it was running in off line mode.

Which isn't very online ;)

Chris Davo
13-04-2007, 19:45
Cant you sue virgin for saying such slanderous ******** like that?

grubbymitts
13-04-2007, 21:02
Hi, a friend of mine has just bought a new pc whit vista installed on it however he is unable to connect to the internet at all. he called tech support and was told that it was because microsoft hadnt released the codes required to go online yet (this sounds like a pile of bull to me) and that virgin had hired a hacker to hack the o/s to get the codes. He was then told that his details would be passed to the hacker to cll him with the required info once they had it.

ROFLMAO. I work for customer services in a massive organisation. This is known as "knowing the managers who listen in to the calls are on their break".
Brilliant. Give the tech man a round of applause for managing to say all that with a straight face.

Lord Nikon
14-04-2007, 04:08
Thing is there do seem to be issues with VM when it comes to knowlege of basic things at times. Some (Not ALL by ANY means) of the front line CS staff seem clueless, Virgin.net faults people not knowing what a BRAS profile is, or whether the system is setup for IP Stream or Datastream etc. There seems to be a serious skills deficiency there. Though the excuse given at the head of this thread is absolutely hilarious, it does have a more serious connotation that had the OP not been a member both here and over at cablehell then the problem may not have been resolved quite so easily.