PDA

View Full Version : help - going from stb to modem

dr aardvark
12-04-2007, 14:37
ok, i just got my new modem delivered

i access the internet through my stb for now but was recommended that i should go to a modem and i will also get a discount.

anyway, i have 2 cable sockets - one goes to the stb, the other was blanked.
i removed the blank, connected the modem and the ethernet cable to the modem - tried to install the software and it just gave me an error about not being able to connect to virgin.

plugged the cable back into the stb so i can write this email.

am i doing something wrong??

Paul K
12-04-2007, 14:41
You cannot install your own modem on a line that may actually not be connected. The modem needs to be registered on your account and the cable you are plugged into may not be connected to anything behind that plate. Unless you know the feed on that connection is live then you may need an engineer out to plug it in properly.

dr aardvark
12-04-2007, 14:43
this was all from virgin

Paul K
12-04-2007, 14:44
I know, I edited my post ;) Do you actually know if your 2nd connection is actually live? Have you connected the SACM to the cable that the STB is currently on?

dr aardvark
12-04-2007, 14:45
no, thats a good point - i'll try that now.

AndyCambs
12-04-2007, 15:00
Did you not receive a cable splitter?
If you have just changed from STB to SACM you might find there is a delay in the account being changed from one to the other. Mine took about two hours.

Actually - you indicated that you are able to connect still via STB (you say you plugged the computer back in to write this), that indicates the account hasn't been changed over yet.

Paul K
12-04-2007, 15:05
one thing to clarify, you have one cable going into the STB? This is obviously live as it is working, are you keeping the STB too? If so you need something to split the cable as stated above. If not then someone will have to visit you to sort the line out.

dr aardvark
12-04-2007, 15:22
ok, i've done it - took the stb off for now (i did get a splitter but i foolishly decided to use the other socket instead thinking i knew better ;))
connected it up - it installed properly - wasn't connecting, rang up virgin - they told me to unplug the modem and restart the pc so it could apply for a new ip address and now its working - as this post should confirm!!

thanks a lot

i'll use the splitter and plug the stb back in now

cheers

Paul K
12-04-2007, 15:27
Cool. You may need to check signal levels once the splitter is in place but it should be ok.

PhilvRS
12-04-2007, 16:31
I fitted my own modem too, when changing to a SACM and stb.
There was a forward path attenuator fitted to my cable to the stb, i placed this on the wall socket side of the splitter, then a cable to each device (SACM and stb).

I'm not sure if its right? (self install manual has no mention of attenuators?) but it seemed themost logical place for it to go........plus it all works and i get 4mb speeds and few tv crashes.

dr aardvark
12-04-2007, 16:36
well, the tv and the internet are both working fine - got no attenuators here.