PDA

View Full Version : Intermitent Connection

Curly99
12-04-2007, 01:11
Over the last month-ish my connection has been steadily getting worse, I am on a 4mb connection with a SB4100 modem, what happens is I can't connect to various sites, cannot find server errors but stay connected/browse the sites I am connected too when the fault occurs, MSN and IRC stay connected and I can ping Standfords folding servers, yet can't do a traceroute, I have tried different proxies with no luck, sometimes a complete reboot, modem, router and comp will cure it and other times it clears it's self up, any ideas what to do, what are my options?

thanks for your time, Curly

Curly99
12-04-2007, 18:05
Well I rang Virgin Media and the guy checks whatever he checks and tells me everything is showing ok his end, we go through a few thing on the pc, network connections/ip/status...etc asks me to reboot CM and router, then tell me the router could lose setting and if I get the problems again to just keep rebooting CM and router, surely this is not a solution. I ask about power levels after reading the sticky post and tell him I have noticed the levels I see when this happens are between +8bBmV and +9dBmV he tells me I should ignore these levels and the only one that matter are the ones showing his end..... somehow I get the feeling I just wasted the last hour-ish.

Curly

musicmaster5000
12-04-2007, 19:33
I have the exactly same problem, what are VM Playing at?

hotpot
13-04-2007, 17:57
I have the same problem here..

Rang VM tech help up and they said it was my wireless router causing the problems, according to him VM don't support routers!!!!

I have used this router with the NTL and had no problems for ages, I have just had a problem in the last couple of months

Pete:mad:

r00t
14-04-2007, 10:29
Then why not remove the unsupported router(s) from the equation and try from modem to pc for 24 hours. Then if your connection drops or whatever your problem is, is still there; then call VM and start bleating.

With your router in place it could be stopping DHCP lease and is stuck in a stale session.

dev
14-04-2007, 11:20
I have the same problem here..

Rang VM tech help up and they said it was my wireless router causing the problems, according to him VM don't support routers!!!!

I have used this router with the NTL and had no problems for ages, I have just had a problem in the last couple of months

Pete:mad:

not supporting routers means they dont help with problems caused by routers :p:

hotpot
14-04-2007, 13:03
Then why not remove the unsupported router(s) from the equation and try from modem to pc for 24 hours. Then if your connection drops or whatever your problem is, is still there; then call VM and start bleating.

thanks, thats where I am at the minute, got to eliminate everything as talking to the tech team on the phone is hard work..

Pete