PDA

View Full Version : Vonage Question

Ekin
11-04-2007, 23:03
Hey,

I just signed up with Vonage, I asked for the D-Link VTA device and I need a phone to use with it;

http://tinyurl.com/2m7emh
Would this work with Vonage? If not, have you got any recommendations - I have a wireless network and I don't want any interruptions.

Regards,
Ekin

Ekin
12-04-2007, 01:09
It appears to be a STD DECT phone aswell as VOiP so I went ahead and brought it, thanks anyawy!

markjohn777
12-04-2007, 11:40
You can use any 'regular' phone with Vonage. It doesn't have to be a VOIP phone. As long as the phone has the usual socket in the wall connection it will work.

Lord Nikon
12-04-2007, 17:54
After looking through all the voip providers I decided against vonage, I went with callcentric, why? well, I didn't want to pay vonage's bill heh, so, with callcentric I pay 5 a month for 2 DDI numbers, one is an 0161 local number to where I live, and the other is a number based in the US, the voip unit is sat on the router at my g/f's apartment in the US and the second voip channel is linked with voipcheap.co.uk. voipcheap give you free calls to UK landlines and US numbers so she uses that for all outbound calls, and when it needs topping up approx every 3 months, I throw another tenner on it, my mobile gives me unlimited free calls to UK landlines so I use it to call the 0161 number to talk to her. The voip lines are clear, even though the apartment building is sharing a 4mbit connection to 57 apartments.

How does this relate to a vonage thread?

Only insofar as I can say honestly that Voip is the perfect solution to saving money on calls no matter who it's with, but I would also shop around for the provider and hardware. Vonage are in a few problems at the moment, there is a lawsuit with verizon in progress where Vonage have been determined to have infringed on verizon's intellectual property and have been ordered to pay verizon $58 million, plus a percentage of royalties so the vonage price may increase to reflect this in the near future.