PDA

View Full Version : npower salesmen - how to make 'em stop

murfitUK
11-04-2007, 22:10
Any suggestions how to stop npower's salesmen from banging on my door? Every week I get at least two visits and on some days it can be three or four times a day.

They seem to take it in turn and call just in case their colleague "forgot" my house on a previous round. Today, the second visit was from a superviser who was checking why I hadn't signed up for their combined gas and electricity tariffs. I said we were quite happy with our suppliers and weren't interested.

The new tactic today was to tell me that because I didn't want to switch I had a legal duty to sign one of their forms to say so. Needless to say, I told him where to go.

Its just getting ridiculous now and I feel I'm becoming paranoid having to peep through the curtains whenever there's a knock on the door. I can take care of myself but some of these guys are quite intimidating. There used to be one who would actually stick his foot in the door - although I haven't seen him for a few months. Sometimes there are two or even three of them together standing in my doorway.

Once a month I could put up with - but its every week, and sometimes several times a day.

Anyone suggest a way to call them off? Protection from Harrassment Act?

Ramrod
11-04-2007, 22:15
The new tactic today was to tell me that because I didn't want to switch I had a legal duty to sign one of their forms to say so. Needless to say, I told him where to go.:rofl:

Bill C
11-04-2007, 22:24
Any suggestions how to stop npower's salesmen from banging on my door? Every week I get at least two visits and on some days it can be three or four times a day.

They seem to take it in turn and call just in case their colleague "forgot" my house on a previous round. Today, the second visit was from a superviser who was checking why I hadn't signed up for their combined gas and electricity tariffs. I said we were quite happy with our suppliers and weren't interested.

The new tactic today was to tell me that because I didn't want to switch I had a legal duty to sign one of their forms to say so. Needless to say, I told him where to go.

Its just getting ridiculous now and I feel I'm becoming paranoid having to peep through the curtains whenever there's a knock on the door. I can take care of myself but some of these guys are quite intimidating. There used to be one who would actually stick his foot in the door - although I haven't seen him for a few months. Sometimes there are two or even three of them together standing in my doorway.

Once a month I could put up with - but its every week, and sometimes several times a day.

Anyone suggest a way to call them off? Protection from Harrassment Act?

Do you know anyone with a Big Dog you can lend :)

Chris W
11-04-2007, 22:30
when you open the door don't even wait for the pitch. you'll see the npower id card. then just close the door.

they should get the message soon enough.

Nugget
11-04-2007, 22:30
Couldn't you just stab the next one who tries it on? Maybe claim that it was a crime of passion?

Just a suggestion, of course ;)

EDIT: If you choose to do this (entirely of your own accord :D ), just stick their head on a spike in your front garden - that should serve as ample warning for the rest of 'em :)

danielf
11-04-2007, 22:33
Couldn't you just stab the next one who tries it on? Maybe claim that it was a crime of passion?

He could try to claim he was under the impression he had a legal duty to to stab the salesman to make it clear he wasn't interested :)

Mr_love_monkey
11-04-2007, 22:33

Yeah, they're great - it's right up there with them always telling me that they're not trying to make me change providers - they're just under orders from the government to make sure people are getting the best deal...

..because I look _that_ stupid

Nugget
11-04-2007, 22:35

In fairness, you do look pretty stupid ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-04-2007, 22:36

Finally your picture makes sense ;)

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

someone stab me, im thinking like nugg:Yikes:

superbiatch
11-04-2007, 22:37
Tell them you don't own the property and your landlord won't allow you to change. Always worked for me in my old place. And then shut the door.

If they didn't shift i usually let the staffie out at this point (they don't know he's a big pussy :D)

Funnily enough they don't knock now i live in a 15 storey tower block ;)

Nugget
11-04-2007, 22:38
someone stab me, im thinking like nugg:Yikes:

If you fancy a new job as an npower salesman. it might well happen :D

TheDaddy
11-04-2007, 22:42

EDIT: If you choose to do this (entirely of your own accord :D ), just stick their head on a spike in your front garden - that should serve as ample warning for the rest of 'em :)

and if the worst happens you are unlikely to get an npower salesman knocking on the door of a prison cell

homealone
11-04-2007, 22:42
In the spirit of the thread title, you could offer to treat their haemorrhoids with a rotovator ;)

Mr_love_monkey
11-04-2007, 22:52

Guess I asked for that really :)

*shucks* nugget thinks I'm pretty

MovedGoalPosts
11-04-2007, 22:58
Get one of those signs that says you don't buy or sell at the door, no canvassers, etc.

They might ignore it, but you just ask them how they are going to explain the details of a contract when they can't even understand a simple written sign!

swoop101
11-04-2007, 23:06
If they are calling that often, then next time inform them that you are going to call the police and ofgem.
The police is to lodge a complaint of harassment and ofgem to complain about pressure selling.

You could also just threaten to kick him in the pylons.

NoKnowledge
11-04-2007, 23:06
Tell them you are already with them. I've had nPower, told them I'm already with them and they haven't come back.

I've had edf, told them I'm with them and they haven't come back either. They knocked on my neighbours' door and then seen them walk past mine. I knew it was edf because they were wearing the silver edf jackets and knocking on doors.

Delta Whiskey
11-04-2007, 23:39
Tell them it's against your religion because you're a Jehovah's Witness, then invite them in for a little talk about God. You'll never be bothered again. ;D

DW

peanut
11-04-2007, 23:41
Answer the door starkers :Yikes:

I'm sure you won't get any repeat visits. (Unless.........:erm: )

Off Demand
11-04-2007, 23:56
"Shut that door!..."

AntiSilence
11-04-2007, 23:59
Made this for you to put in your window... :D :rolleyes:

murfitUK
12-04-2007, 00:04
Made this for you to put in your window... :D :rolleyes:

Thanks for that - I'm printing it out now!

Maggy
12-04-2007, 00:05
My husband finally had enough and told them to F off.I think the tone of voice and the look on his face was sufficiently menacing for them to take him seriously.They haven't been back for a couple of years. :D

MovedGoalPosts
12-04-2007, 00:05
If you are printing that, you might want to correct the spelling first: sight, not site ;)

Sorry for the poor nitpicking etiquette

AntiSilence
12-04-2007, 00:07
Thanks for that - I'm printing it out now!

No problem :) :tu:

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

If you are printing that, you might want to correct the spelling first: sight, not site ;)

Sorry for the poor nitpicking etiquette

The spelling is correct. I meant on site, not sight! So there! :p:

handyman
12-04-2007, 00:19
Trouble is with sales date in unscrupulous operations is that it is reused again and again. Since you are dealing with in experienced sales people they are told to hit as many doors as possible and probably given out of dat information.

I base this on the fact thast when i lived in the North East there was almost always a npower ad in the Evening Gazette. They must have people that do a week and give up.

If I get sales people calling at the door I tell them to get knotted straight away.

greencreeper
12-04-2007, 00:33
Invest in a posing pouch and answer the door with "Hi handsome... Oh two of you - I like a challenge..."

Pump action water pistol containing water with maybe a bit of juice from a few tins of tuna

Before answering the door, loudly tell your dogs to stay back, "Get back in the kitchen... You bit the last salesman... You'll get yourselves put down...". Perhaps a bit of fake barking??

Have a breakdown in their arms - lots of sobbing. Fling your arms around one of them. Tell them about the wife leaving, the problems at work, the drug habit...

smucks
12-04-2007, 01:12
Now days I just look at the clip board and ask

Me "are you selling" ?

Them "No but we could save you money"

Me "Well looks like you are to me then"

Them "Well Sir I can save you money so we are not selling just saving you money" (from the last lot round here)

Me "In that case how can you save me money when you can not read has I have signs on my front door you might want to read them now do me a favor and save me time and trouble P*** *** and read before you knock" (slams door and shouts MUPPETS)

So far after that no more door to door at the moment.

But on the other hand if her in doors answers then I can here the words from here in the shed in the back garden.

brundles
12-04-2007, 09:54
At least you're not finding they've switched the supply anyway. We moved in to find they had taken the supply of the house of their own accord. Seems that when no-one answered (the house was empty before we moved in) the nPower sales person took it upon himself to sign the house up anyway! This only came to light when after much pushing as to who signed up with them and when, they gave a date when the house was empty and the names of the people who had moved out and already sold by then!

Alien
12-04-2007, 10:20
Get one of those signs that says you don't buy or sell at the door, no canvassers, etc.
Got 1 from Homebase, says "No callers unless by appointment". Didn't seem to work with the bird from the JWs the other week.

They might ignore it, but you just ask them how they are going to explain the details of a contract when they can't even understand a simple written sign!
Good 1, I'll have to remember that.

Tell them it's against your religion because you're a Jehovah's Witness, then invite them in for a little talk about God. You'll never be bothered again. ;D
Actually, the bird from the JWs the other week was kinda cute. If I'd been more awake & alert [& if I'd thought of it at the time] I might have told her that that I'd be perfectly willing to discuss her religious views, just as soon as she'd finished Download Failed (1)ing my brains out. :naughty:

Invest in a posing pouch and answer the door with "Hi handsome... Oh two of you - I like a challenge..."
Yeah... um... no. If they were female & not bad looking, maybe - but as they'd probably be blokes & I don't share your interests I think I'll pass. :p:

Pump action water pistol containing water with maybe a bit of juice from a few tins of tuna
Nice idea in theory, but I actually asked a female PCSO in 1 of those "meet the community" [or whatever] vans yesterday if I could get away with chucking a bucket of water over any JWs or sales idiots that ignored my sign. Sadly, she said no. :(

kryogenik
12-04-2007, 10:46
We had a sign on the door saying something along the lines of don't knock, ever. Wife and new Daughter were very ill and recovering. The dog has a habit of barking, as they do. Chaos.
Local chavs nicked it anyway..

I wonder, will this door sales lark ever be outlawed?
Sometimes here, it gets to the point of literally head in hands when the door goes. I mean, I have no issue with telling someone to clear off (though I feel bad sometimes..It's just their job), if I can't be bothered sending them off with a flea in their ear, I just say 'rented mate' and close the door.
But some days it's gone 6 or 7PM and in my opinion that's not on.
NPower are the worst. I'm with them, surely they could knock me off a list before beginning.

But it'd be nice if it didn't happen at all. It can be 3 or 4 times a day here, and sometimes it feels like every day.
Similarly with leaflets. I want Royal Mail stuff through my letterbox, not 'Make Money Quick!' or '2 for 1 Pizzas'. There's an endless stream of these too.

danielf
12-04-2007, 10:49
I wonder, will this door sales lark ever be outlawed?

It is, in some places:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4390750.stm

kryogenik
12-04-2007, 11:04
It is, in some places:

Great. Thanks for that.
Though I notice that's quite an old article, let's hope it's a sign of things to come.

danielf
12-04-2007, 11:10
Great. Thanks for that.
Though I notice that's quite an old article, let's hope it's a sign of things to come.

Actually, I saw one of those signs the other day when on a train journey. So they still exist. I don't know if there are any plans to create new ones though. It sounds like a great initiative.

TheDaddy
12-04-2007, 11:11
Pump action water pistol containing water with maybe a bit of juice from a few tins of tuna...

You might want to add some vineger and Ribena to the mix, Sting em Stain em and make them Smell a bit to

kryogenik
12-04-2007, 11:16
Actually, I saw one of those signs the other day when on a train journey. So they still exist. I don't know if there are any plans to create new ones though. It sounds like a great initiative.

I agree.
I think I'll write to my councillor.
;)

joglynne
12-04-2007, 14:15
It is, in some places: QUOTE]

This article dated 31st October 2005 states that £50,000 was given to Trading Standards Institute to extend the "No cold calling zones" I have been doing some digging but couldn't find any follow-up to how the money has been spent or that the 'zones' have been extended. I have found this though, dated 7th September 2006
Protecting the vulnerable
Consumer Minister Ian McCartney said:
"The message we are sending today is that dodgy doorstep sellers have no right to target the vulnerable and elderly into buying things they don't need at rip-off prices. We are not talking about the Avon Lady or Betterware agents. We are targeting the con artists who use bully boy tactics."
"Some people want to buy in the comfort of their own home, maybe because they are house-bound, they like the products on offer or perhaps the seller is a member of the local community. It would be unfair to stop the majority of decent, honest traders from going about their business.
"This is why we are introducing new powers to clamp down on unscrupulous con artists preying on the vulnerable and house-bound whilst improving the rights of consumers buying from reputable traders in the home."
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_10038897

:erm: So it seems that the idea of no go zones may have been dropped because we like cold callers. I wonder if nPower and friends will be classed as "con artists who use bull boy tactics":D

greencreeper
12-04-2007, 20:10
Yeah... um... no. If they were female & not bad looking, maybe - but as they'd probably be blokes & I don't share your interests I think I'll pass. :p:
Nothing scares a straight man like a smile from a gay man :D

Nice idea in theory, but I actually asked a female PCSO in 1 of those "meet the community" [or whatever] vans yesterday if I could get away with chucking a bucket of water over any JWs or sales idiots that ignored my sign. Sadly, she said no. :(
Yes - would be classed as assault. Shame really.

ben1390
12-04-2007, 20:31
How about putting this notice on your front door :D

If i wish to purchase something, i will go to a shop

If i want religion, i will go to a church

I don't need advice on doors or windows

I don't discuss politics either on the doorstep or with strangers

I am perfectly happy with my suppliers of domestic fuel

if your visit falls into any of the above categories then DO NOT waste my time by ringing the doorbell

If i want you at my front door, i will formally invite you

Shaun
12-04-2007, 20:53
The new tactic today was to tell me that because I didn't want to switch I had a legal duty to sign one of their forms to say so.

I'd have said fine - taken the form - shut the door - wrote F off (or signed it Micky Mouse if I didn't want to offend them) on it - and posted it back! :D

Lord Nikon
13-04-2007, 01:26
Draft a letter saying the following :-

I The undersigned do hereby undertake to pay the entire cost of living at the address of _________ for a period not less than 12 calendar months from the date of signing. I offer to do this of my own free will out of a genuine desire to save this person money, the bills I am making myself liable for are council tax, Electricity bill, Gas bill, Land Telephone line bill. I understand I will personally be liable for all expenses incurred at the above property over the 12 month contractual period.

Yours

Signed ________________
Print name here____________
Date _______________

Witness Signature ______________
Witness Name __________________
Date ___________________

Ask them to sign that and you will agree to sign theirs. When they refuse say "That's the only way I will sign up with you"

:D

smucks
13-04-2007, 22:25
Draft a letter saying the following :-

Ask them to sign that and you will agree to sign theirs. When they refuse say "That's the only way I will sign up with you"

:D

Can we add bar tab to that one :tu:

Alien
14-04-2007, 00:03
Nothing scares a straight man like a smile from a gay man :D
LOL. That reminds me of something. I used to live in a shared house, but the tenants didn't have any say in who moved in, the landlord just let out the individual rooms. Not being gay, I don't exactly have a fully functional gaydar, but 1 guy who moved into the downstairs room [in a normal house it would have been the living room] was easy enough for even me to spot. I said to him, "I don't mean this as an insult, so I apologise if I'm wrong, but you're not exactly interested in women, are you?" He laughed & said no, then asked me if it was a problem. I told him that I could accept him being gay if he could accept that I'm straight, which made him laugh & he gave me some sort of joking put-down [I think he said something like "Ew! I wouldn't touch you with a 10 foot barge pole!"]. After that we got on OK. I swear that character "Tom" from that BBC2 show "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" was based on him, which might explain how even I managed to "spot" him. :)

Yes - would be classed as assault. Shame really.
Definitely. :(

How about putting this notice on your front door :D
<snip>
I've been thinking of doing something similar, but haven't got round to it.

Chris W
14-04-2007, 00:17
A sign isn't a deterent- when i did door to door sales the people who had signs saying "we don't buy from door to door sales" were just a challenge... if you could get them to sign up then you knew you were doing a decent job :) There is one particular one i remember:

Me (knocks on door after noticing sign): Hi.... {pitch}
Homeowner: Can't you read? (points at sign)
Me: oh sorry i didn't notice that cos i was busy admiring your garden
Homeowner was so chuffed with the flattery he signed up anyway ;)

Alien
14-04-2007, 17:01
A sign isn't a deterent- when i did door to door sales the people who had signs saying "we don't buy from door to door sales" were just a challenge... if you could get them to sign up then you knew you were doing a decent job :)
That's 1 reason why I wish I had a house instead of a flat. If I had a front lawn I'd have an excuse for a remote controlled sprinkler system, then just make sure it "accidentally" happened to reach as far as the front door, or the path as they were leaving. As far as I'm concerned, an "Englishman's home is his castle" still holds true, & any uninvited visitors don't deserve a polite or curteous response.

I don't normally answer the door unless I'm expecting someone, but I think from now on any unwanted visitors that manage to pick a day when I am expecting someone will get told to ____ off & the door slammed in their face.

TheDaddy
14-04-2007, 23:49
That's 1 reason why I wish I had a house instead of a flat. If I had a front lawn I'd have an excuse for a remote controlled sprinkler system, then just make sure it "accidentally" happened to reach as far as the front door, or the path as they were leaving. As far as I'm concerned, an "Englishman's home is his castle" still holds true, & any uninvited visitors don't deserve a polite or curteous response.

I don't normally answer the door unless I'm expecting someone, but I think from now on any unwanted visitors that manage to pick a day when I am expecting someone will get told to ____ off & the door slammed in their face.

Can't have a spy hole in your door then, I take it

Alien
15-04-2007, 00:17
Can't have a spy hole in your door then, I take it
I have 1, but it's rather pointless, as I have 1 of those UPVC doors with windows in the top half. Admittedly the glass is the deliberately distorted type, but somebody would still be able to see I was there. I have considered getting 1 of those home CCTV systems so that I don't even have to go to the door to find out who it is, but they aren't cheap & I just haven't gotten round to it.

ian@huth
15-04-2007, 10:26
When you answer the door and find the npower salesman just say "wait a minute it's my dad that you want, excuse me shutting the door but I don't want the dog to get out". Then go back to what you were doing and see how long the guy waits for the never to appear dad.