PDA

View Full Version : Appalling first impression

_Henry_
11-04-2007, 21:20
Hi,

Glad to have found a forum where I can hopefully get some ideas as to what is going on with my new connection.

I joined virgin roughly a week ago, really excited at the prospect of having fantastic speeds (I opted for the 10 meg product). With this came the phone and of course TV package.

Ever since switching on that power button on the cable modem, I have had nothing but extremely unacceptable browsing and download speeds (slowest was 45 kbps from microsoft, blueyonders http download site, tucows etc). Each and every time I speak to blueyonder tech support (which is almost every day) they tell me there are "network issues" in my area. But where are these notifications on their website? When I ask when these problems will be fixed, they have no idea, but assure me they are being worked on. For 1 week? There are network problems for 1 week and there are no notifications? I have the feeling I am simply being told this so I will leave them alone. Is it because of high traffic load in my area and they aren't allowed to say that on the phone?

I have checked the sticky threads re snr, frequency checks etc and mine are great. I have a scientific atlanta cable modem. Could it be faulty? Could my wall box be faulty? According to Virgin an "insight" test reports no problems.

Considering there are countless threads here regarding performance problems I am clearly not alone, but for how long am I to endure these problems before cancelling my contract?

Please help...

djchapple
11-04-2007, 21:30
I have the 2Meg connection and I regularly get 1.9Meg so I am happy.

When i was with broadband on a BT line I found that the connection was dropped several times a day for up to an hour.

Now I get a connection free of interruptions. and the price is not too bad.

martin42h
11-04-2007, 22:30
Hi Henry, welcome to the forum. Sorry for your problems but don't be misled by the apparent number of complaints on the forum - generally people post when they have a problem or a gripe, not when they are completely happy. I have been with VM/NTL for over 6 years and honestly never really had cause to complain. I have 10 Mbit broadband and its just fantastic. However, that don't help you. Two questions:-
1. Where are you located. Then perhaps someone in your area can confirm or otherwise general poor speeds.
2. Is your TV working OK? I ask because they share the same connection so if there's a problem with the cabling to your house it will probably affect both.

Stick with it. Cable broadband is far superior to ADSL in terms of actual (rather than claimed) performance & reliability.

bw41101
11-04-2007, 22:43
Reading your post I would (initially) have suspected that you've got spyware on your machine influencing your speed - this can happen as I once found out to my cost - worth checking anyway as a precaution.

Anyway, it seems that the the service provider (by admitting there's a problem) is confirming the reduction in service. However, you are paying for the service not excuses and as "the customer" you would be quite within your rights to refuse payment for the reduced quality of service.

I know that this may come across as a wee bit mercenary, but the product (in this case your broadband package) is not fit for purpose and as such the service provider has a (contractual) duty of care to you "the customer" to put it right.

It pretty obvious (by what you have said) that this isn't happening. I would indicate that fact next time you contact them and insist on speaking to someone in authority, maybe then someone will take notice and act on your complaint.

A lousy first impression indeed....!

Si thee

punky
11-04-2007, 23:10
:welcome: Henry

Sorry to hear about your probs. The service is apalling... You should be able to cancel anytime within the first month, absolutely. Certainly beyond that, then you can cancel as they aren't giving you what you paid for, regardless how long the contract is for.

If you still want to stick by VM, we do have a contact within WM who helps us resolve member problems. I can see if can find out anything and/or come to some arrangement. If you're interested, PM me your account number and i'll pass it on.

HiroofTime
12-04-2007, 00:27
Even though the service is appalling, its better than any other service at the moment, which is a crying shame.

_Henry_
12-04-2007, 13:51
However, that don't help you. Two questions:-
1. Where are you located. Then perhaps someone in your area can confirm or otherwise general poor speeds.
2. Is your TV working OK? I ask because they share the same connection so if there's a problem with the cabling to your house it will probably affect both.

Hi Martin,

1) South-West London
2) TV is working great. Better quality than my freeview!

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Reading your post I would (initially) have suspected that you've got spyware on your machine influencing your speed - this can happen as I once found out to my cost - worth checking anyway as a precaution.

Hi,

I highly doubt spyware is the problem. I have used 2 PC's and they both show the same performance problems. Having said that, I have adsl as well, and this performs as expected on both PC's.

AndyCambs
12-04-2007, 14:42
Are you using a router?

_Henry_
12-04-2007, 15:06
Are you using a router?

Yeah - the linksys wrt54gs with dd-wrt.

I have also tried with just the cable modem.

Both exhibit the same lack of speed.

Druchii
12-04-2007, 16:14
The network issues are probably over-subscription problems... In other words, way too many people online. Either that, or they've lost a piece of hardware or two.

_Henry_
12-04-2007, 17:21
The network issues are probably over-subscription problems... In other words, way too many people online. Either that, or they've lost a piece of hardware or two.

So what does this mean for me? I have to deal with this until they get enough complaints? How long do I stand for this (or anyone) until people start leaving?

Why not tell me it's subscription issues (if that's what it is) rather than lead me up the garden path so to speak. Other isp's I have come across detail network rollout plans and exchange congestions.

Am I missing something?

Morden
13-04-2007, 14:30
Have you ran a process checker on your PC or a sniffer to check what is actually using your bandwidth ?

You could also try using a speed test and see what reults you get.

_Henry_
13-04-2007, 16:27
Have you ran a process checker on your PC or a sniffer to check what is actually using your bandwidth ?

You could also try using a speed test and see what reults you get.

Again, it's fine with my adsl connection.

Yeah i've run speed tests, countless numbers of them. They confirm my problems.