PDA

View Full Version : Shaky Start

Neil S
11-04-2007, 17:49
Hi,

Had my VM cable installed yesterday and everything seems to be working ok in spite of the installation disk's attemps to foul things up.

Part way through the install it came up with an error relating to DHCP acquiring addresses automatically. I managed to sort that out and it appeared to install ok, only to come up with error 800 -"... services unavailable at the moment, try again later".

Despite repeated attempts it would go no further. Eventually I minimised the set-up screen and started Internet Explorer and it fired up straight on to the Virgin Home page, large as life, twice as ugly and fully functional.

The problem now was to shut down the install, as simply clicking "cancel" would uninstall everything done so far. This was actually done quite easily using Task Manager.

What surprised me was that I hadn't been required to enter any form of ID or register a Mac address.

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that these disks are actually intended for dial-up installations and no additional software should be required for cable with ethernet connection.

I did eventually have to use the internet username and password provided in the Welcome Pack in order to set up email addresses, and this was quite straightforward.

An odd thing is that sometimes the PC light on the modem flashes, sometimes it doesn't, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Hope these comments might be of use to other Virgin virgins, as there do seem to be changes happening all the time.

Neil

colin-bennett
11-04-2007, 18:02
Hi
I take it you using DSL on ex telewest franchise.

Neil S
12-04-2007, 19:18
Hi,

Not sure I know the answer to that one. I'd always thought DSL referred to the use of telephone lines. Certainly this is a former Telewest area.

I have to say my new Virgin cable set-up seems faster even at 2meg than my previous Orange ADSL line at a nominal 8 meg, and the real bonus is the line doesn't drop every ten minutes!

Cheers

Neil

colin-bennett
12-04-2007, 19:43
Hi,

Not sure I know the answer to that one. I'd always thought DSL referred to the use of telephone lines. Certainly this is a former Telewest area.

I have to say my new Virgin cable set-up seems faster even at 2meg than my previous Orange ADSL line at a nominal 8 meg, and the real bonus is the line doesn't drop every ten minutes!

Cheers

Neil

Nice one

ADSL is over tel line DSL is what is used by ex telewest (and much of ex ntl) so you go over fibre optics rather then old copper wire (tel Lines)
Glad all is working ok