PDA

View Full Version : VM Install worries (again)

Mayberry
11-04-2007, 16:01
Hi all,
This is my first post, so greetings to you all.

I am currently a Sky+ user that took advantage of their Broadband package last September. When they switched me from my Pipex account to SkyBroadband, that was the last time I had the internet. 7 MONTHS AGO!! So I'm taking them to court.

But thats another story.

Because I have got Otelo involved, I looked to get online another way. Virgin looked the only way (cable instead of via the phone as Sky have messed my exchange up), and I went for just BB for now until the whole Sky thing is sorted, then I'll go over to CableTV as well (hopefully the missing channel fiasco will be over by then).

BB is scheduled to be installed on Monday so I have a day off work booked, but I had a call from the wife (at home looking after MayJr) saying 2 VM men had just arrived to do what I assume is a site survey. They told the wife that as I have a paved front garden they will need to run the cable under next doors drive (which is on the opposite side of the house to where I want the insertion point to be). It appears (without being there I can only assume) they want to run the cable under the grass, up the front of my garage, along the front of the house (externally), round the corner alnong the side and down to where I already have a hole drilled for the Sky wire. From there It's under the stairs and next to the TV.

Does this sound right?

Also I take it that under the stairs will be this '2-way split box that goes to 1)TV and 2)PC (of which the latter I can attach to a wireless router)?

Obviously I dont want Captain Yeehaa to bodge next doors lawn and plaster the outside of my house with cables, so (with a lot of visualisation needed) should I be worried, given 50% of the threads on here are installation horror stories.

Cheers for your help/thoughts

Mayberry

MovedGoalPosts
11-04-2007, 16:39
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

A site survey makes sense, at least it shows someone is planning ahead.

The cable has to get from the public pavement to your house somehow, and it should be buried below forking depth. The route itself isn't that critical, provided it's neat so yes it can be wound round the outside of a building.

The potentially serious problem here is that they want to route it though the neighbour's garden. That cannot be done without your neighbour's consent and would require an easement / wayleave (legal right) to be granted. WM don't seem to do that well at that sort of thing. You may need to contact VM installs to find out exactly what is going on.

As for the wiring inside the house, at some location - you should be able to influence the choice of where a splitter / junction box will be placed. Remember though that the installers will only want to clip the cable to skirtings, they won't go through ceilings, or under floor boards. The modem, and TV point don't have to be together, and obviously you'd choose a reasonably accessible location for your modem with adjacent router. It's nice to see the lights flashing when your computer seems to be playing up, that way you know where to start troubleshooting ;) If using wireless, hiding a router in a corner might not give you the best reception.

Mayberry
12-04-2007, 10:56
Cheers for the reply

I have already asked neighbours consent and he's fine as long as they 'make good' their work. I just can't envisage how they will get from VMs point in the pavement to where they want to start digging. as it is all solid concrete.

NTLVictim
13-04-2007, 08:30
Do the installers use moles?

No, not the velvety ones, the mechanical ones?