PDA

View Full Version : Is it unreasonable...

Bob
11-04-2007, 11:59
For the past few days, whenever I have turned my computer on (the router and modem are on the same switch as the computer), all the correct lights are on the modem, the data light is flashing, but there is no connection when I open up OE6 or IE7/FF2. This has never happened before and it has be fine for many years operating like this.

Decided to give technical support a call via 151 and we explained the situation. He told us to turn everything off, turn the modem on separately, wait for it to connect, then turn the router on and wait for that to settle and then finally turn the computer on. And hey presto it worked a treat. We asked the man if we would have to do this all the time and he said no we shouldn't have to.

So once off the phone, we did it the usual way (as described in the first paragraph) and guess what no connection either on the computer hard wired through the router and the other computer on the wireless connection.

My question is therefore, is it unreasonable do you think to have to turn everything on separately, when until the other day we have never had to do that?

The modem is a Terayon TJ210 and the router is a Linksys WRT54GS ver 5.1. The wireless computer is using he Linksys WUSB54GS ver. 2.1 wireless adapter :)

Halcyon
11-04-2007, 12:07
You have to turn on everything seperately.

First the modem needs to be turned on and initialises with the VirginMedia network. Once both the "Sync" and "Rdy" lights are still you can turn on the router.

The router also needs a couple of seconds to talk to the modem and assign it's addresses.

Once that is done, then you can boot up your PC's.

A lot of people leave their modem and router switched on.

Bob
11-04-2007, 12:09
Right cheers for the reply. It's just odd that it has started happening now when we have had no problems before...

Oh well, Dad will have to adjust his wires ;)

bopdude
11-04-2007, 12:10
I would and do / have done leave everything on except the pc, most times though thats on almost 24/7 as well :shrug:

danielf
11-04-2007, 12:11
You shouldn't have to switch your modem and router on/off when you switch your computer on (if that's what you're asking). I always leave my router and modem switched on. When I switch a computer on, it just connects.

Bob
11-04-2007, 12:13
It was do I have to turn all three pieces of equipment on separately? And Halcyon said I have to :)

Like I said, there had never been any problem in switching them all on at the same time - that just stopped happening yesterday. Odd :)

bopdude
11-04-2007, 12:18
I don't know that you have to switch them in order, I think it's just the preferred way :shrug:

MikeyB
11-04-2007, 12:31
Funny, same thing happened to me recently, probably 4-5 weeks ago, but didn't think much of it.

Have everyting, the modem, router(a cheapy blue-no-name thing) & pc on the same power socket. Would switchit on, turn on PC and could connect to internet.

Then suddenly one day it stopped working, I could only get a connection if I let the modem sync & ready before switching on the PC.

I do still switch everything off when I'm not using it, saves my electricity bill, but just switch the moden & router on, wait a minute then turn the PC on.

Hex
11-04-2007, 13:13
Had this happen to me after a power cut, when I logged into the router I saw it had been assigned a 192.168.xxx.xxx IP address by the modem, as oppose to the usual NTL 86.xxx.xxx.xxx that I've had for the past few years.
My conclusion was that the router was booting up faster than the modem, and trying to acquire an address before the modem had established a connection, so it was assigned (Either by the modem, or a blank used by the router, I don't know) a temporary one. then when the modem had sync'd the router had kept the temporary one. A quick release/renew fixed the problem.

MarkD
11-04-2007, 13:28
My take on this is that the settling time of the cable modem has got a little bit longer, this could be for any number of reasons but it could be an indication that it is starting to get past it. (If you have any other problems it would be worth checking out the cable modem through its diagnositics. Robin Walkers pages are v helpful for this http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ .) This means that by the time the cable modem is steady and ready to go the router has given up on getting a response from the network and therefore has no useful ip address on the outgoing side.

The reason they suggest turning the pc on after the router is that most routers are set up to use dhcp give out ip addresses to the pcs so its best to make sure that the router is stable and ready to do that before turning the pc on. If the pc is slower booting than the router then you can get a away with turning them both at the same time.

A compromise could be to leave just the cable modem on, or at least put it on its own socket and switch that on first.

Cheers Mark

Bob
11-04-2007, 14:02
Funny you should mention this settling time. It seems to be taking longer now for the cable light to stop flashing and stay on constant. There are no other issues with it. The speed is always stable at 3.8 Mbps. We could have pestered the bloke when we rang, but you just know when you are not going to get anywhere with them.

Thanks everyone for your advice. We have given the router and modem its own plug now. I wouldn't be surprised if the modem is getting past it (we've had it since around 2000/2001).

We may well end up getting a new modem soon anyway. We are considering a move to the VIP pack once the current offer we were given without asking expires (around May time I think).

Thanks again everyone :tu: