PDA

View Full Version : 10MB instead of 2MB

SpyJoe
10-04-2007, 17:32
I have been using NTL for about 2.5 years now and had 2MB connection. I also had BT phone line.

Couple of days ago I moved to a new house. I called Virgin Media 4 days before I moved and told them about the change of address. I have also told them that I want their phone service, so I said I want Medium (2MB) Broadband and Medium (free weekends calls) Phone Line for £20 as a bundle. The guy who I spoke to on the phone told me that I will get a free Cable TV as well. He told me that they will connect me to the internet and phone line on 10th of April (today).

Nobody came today and I received a letter from them saying that I will be getting a Medium phone line for £11 and an upgrade from L (4MB) to XL (10MB) broadband for £10. And that some guy will come and connect me on 20th of April. There is also a contract inside the letter that I have to sign and send to them.

I just checked on their website and noticed that they r giving free Medium Cable TV to people who sign up for Medium Phone Line. So that's sorted.

But why r they giving me 10MB connection and why they said that I'm being upgraded from 4MB (I always had 2MB). And why so cheap (£10)? Is this a catch? Is it a price just for first 3 months or something?

Obviously I want this offer, so I didn't call them to say that they got it wrong, coz I want to keep this it...

Just wanted to ask for ur advice. What should I do? Wait till 20th of April or call them and risk loosing this offer...

Thanks for ur time...

nicke261192
10-04-2007, 17:35
I would phone them and say something because they may have got it wrong and you may get billed full price

SpyJoe
10-04-2007, 17:43
I would phone them and say something because they may have got it wrong and you may get billed full price

But if I sign the contract and post it to them, would they be able to change it? If they do change it, it would violate the contract and it would be their fault, not mine...

nicke261192
10-04-2007, 17:47
If you sign a contract you cannot downgrade or cancel your services from then until that contract expires. they may say that its your fault for not checking or something like that

SpyJoe
10-04-2007, 17:56
If you sign a contract you cannot downgrade or cancel your services from then until that contract expires. they may say that its your fault for not checking or something like that

That's just madness. The contract clearly states that the price for 10MB connection will £10 per month. How is it my fault that I didn't check the real price. Since they give some many different offers to their customers, I thought they r being good to me and gave me a discount...

MrB
10-04-2007, 18:05
I had 10MB for £10 from August to December as part of a TalkTalk price match, therefore it was possible then (CS claimed it wasn't still possible when I asked in February and was downgraded to 2MB ;-( ).

MrB

foxtrot
10-04-2007, 18:08
That's just madness. The contract clearly states that the price for 10MB connection will £10 per month. How is it my fault that I didn't check the real price. Since they give some many different offers to their customers, I thought they r being good to me and gave me a discount...

well that VM for yeah

you can downgrade you net, i had 10mb and after 4 week i ask them to downgrade my net to 2mb and they did ;)

SpyJoe
10-04-2007, 18:08
I had 10MB for £10 from August to December as part of a TalkTalk price match, therefore it was possible then (CS claimed it wasn't still possible when I asked in February and was downgraded to 2MB ;-( ).

MrB

you can downgrade you net, i had 10 mb and after 4 week i ask them to downgrade my net to 2mb and they did ;)

So downgrading is possible after all. Thanks for the info...

Nikesh
10-04-2007, 18:16
I *think* downgrading is possible but cancelling is not when you're within your contract.

SpyJoe
10-04-2007, 18:22
I *think* downgrading is possible but cancelling is not when you're within your contract.

I dont really want to cancel my contract, but if they will be charging me more than £10 for 10MB connection, then I will have to downgrade back to 2MB and get a 2 for £20 bundle as I wanted...

scouseann
10-04-2007, 19:59
hah Virgin Media put my price up to £37 for my internet alone (just what i wanted.. NOT!) said I would get 20mb I was quite happy with what I had. Since they wrote and told me my internet has gone CRAP. At the moment it is worse than dial up and i am paying an arm and a leg for it grrr. I rang and told them and they said it was fine, (I bet she got it for free.) I am sure this is the most expensive connection at the moment and as far as I am concerned the WORST

cookster
10-04-2007, 20:46
hah Virgin Media put my price up to £37 for my internet alone (just what i wanted.. NOT!) said I would get 20mb I was quite happy with what I had. Since they wrote and told me my internet has gone CRAP. At the moment it is worse than dial up and i am paying an arm and a leg for it grrr. I rang and told them and they said it was fine, (I bet she got it for free.) I am sure this is the most expensive connection at the moment and as far as I am concerned the WORST

Same here! Sick and tired of having to ring them every other month when my 10mbit connex drops down below 2mbit. After the phone calls it usually gets sorted!!!

ecksmen
11-04-2007, 00:49

If the contract states the price, then that is all you'll ever need to pay. Just make sure you have a copy, if they try to bill you any differently, you have your contract to back you up.

SpyJoe
11-04-2007, 15:43
If the contract states the price, then that is all you'll ever need to pay. Just make sure you have a copy, if they try to bill you any differently, you have your contract to back you up.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Contracts r usually a very serious matter, so I dont think they will change the price. And if they do I will complain to them, even if they did a typo, I dont care...

I'm quite busy now with moving things round in my new house, so no time to call them, but I'm thinking of calling them in a few days just to ask for them to confirm what I will be getting...

howudoinn
11-04-2007, 16:34
If the contract states exactly what you will be getting and you are happy with what it says then i would just sign it (and keep a copy) and return it to then and if they try and charge you more than the contract states then i would ring then and quote the contract as VM would be quick enough to stick to the a contract if it was in there intrest.

SpyJoe
12-04-2007, 16:25
If the contract states exactly what you will be getting and you are happy with what it says then i would just sign it (and keep a copy) and return it to then and if they try and charge you more than the contract states then i would ring then and quote the contract as VM would be quick enough to stick to the a contract if it was in there intrest.

That's what I decided to do afterall. I've signed and sent the contract to them today. Not planning on calling them anymore. Just have to wait till 20th of April to see what happens...

Thanks for all suggestions, everyone, apreciate it...

SpyJoe
21-04-2007, 12:52
Well the guy came yesterday and connected me to internet at last. But after a few speed tests I was disappointed, the connection they gave me is 2MB, just as I had before... :(

The phone line and cable TV is fine though...

What should I do about the broadband connection? Should I call them and tell them that they promised me 10MB and that's what it says on contract?

Please give some advices.

SpyJoe
26-04-2007, 22:24
I have some bad news, well bad for me at least...

I've been calling them 2 days in a row now with no luck. They keep transferring me from one guy to another and keep putting me on hold for 15 mins. Today they kept transferring me from one department to another and then back to the same department. They kept saying it's a wrong department and kept putting me on hold. Finally I got through to a correct department and after talking to a guy for 5 mins he told me that his system froze and that he will call me back. He took my number, but never called me back. Same thing happened yesterday. They just didnt call me back...

Terrible customer service...

Also just after 3 days of them installing a phone line, it stopped working. I was without the phone for 2 days untill the engineer came and fixed it...

Terrible company...

Sirpingalot
26-04-2007, 22:36
Terrible cutomer services, true. But the service itself isn't bad at all.

SpyJoe
16-05-2007, 16:32
I finally received a bill from VM today and I just wanted to ask a few questions...

They charged me:

£4.93 for Service Charges
------------------
Service Charges
Refunds And Adjustments:
£0.93 for First Months Service Q1: (What is this?)
------------------
Advance Charges
£11.00 for Telephone Line Rental
£0.00 for TV Size M
-£12.00 for BB XL For Price Of BB L Bonus Q2: (What is this? Does this mean if I upgrade to XL (20mb) they will be charging me £25 instead of usual price £37?)
------------------
Other Charges
£5.00 for Payment Handling Charge Q3: (What is this? I paid by direct debit. They never told me about this.)

On the bill it says Bill Date is 9th May. It took them 7 days to send it?

I coloured the questions in red. I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me those things and give me answers to my questions...

dontpannic
17-05-2007, 08:54
I am sure this is the most expensive connection at the moment and as far as I am concerned the WORST

Have you tried:

Talktalk?
AOL?
Tiscali?

You can't brand a service "the WORST" until you have experienced the "delights" of ADSL...