PDA

View Full Version : Old out, new in, help please !!

ned1
09-04-2007, 21:17
Hi all,
I have been with NTL for some years now with TV, phone and B/B (from the set top box which has the cable under the floor up into the spare bedroom) and now I am upgrading to VIP, I have been told that the set top V+ box will not take B/B and I will have to have a modem.
What I would like to know is, will they run a cable from the point where the cable box is outside up to the bedroom or from the telephone point inside,
Also can I use a telephone extension cable which I have under the floor or is it special cable.
Thanks for any help that you may give.

Ned :dozey:

Paul K
09-04-2007, 21:25
The BB will be via the same type of cable as your tv feed so it will feed from where the TV cable comes in now (if possible they will split your TV feed).

MovedGoalPosts
09-04-2007, 21:25
The feed to the modem uses a coaxial type cable, like the one that feeds your current STB, not a phone line one.

The additional cable needed can be split at your existing STB's location or routed elsewhere from the main connection box in your house. However most of the installers will prefer the split option as it's quicker ;)

edit: must type less and faster ;)

djmagnifique
09-04-2007, 21:56
depends on the engineer, when I moved into my new house it was easier for him to run a cable from the box outside and up the wall as this used less cable and was easier than running a cable from the tv point inside, out the livingroom, up the stairs and into my room.

Although if you were running from a stb previously the cable connecting them should be an ethernet cable so he could install the modem next to the tv and just connect that way.

If he takes the 1st option it would mean a new connection point in the room with the pc which later could have an extra tv box connected to it if you wished.

ned1
09-04-2007, 22:19
HI and thanks for the replies,
Ok am I right in saying that the B/B modem can be installed where the old set top box is now (by splitting the cable) and use the same ethernet cable that goes to my pc now, Yes. !!

Ned

joglynne
10-04-2007, 08:25
That how the engineer did it for me.
Jo

djmagnifique
10-04-2007, 09:25
HI and thanks for the replies,
Ok am I right in saying that the B/B modem can be installed where the old set top box is now (by splitting the cable) and use the same ethernet cable that goes to my pc now, Yes. !!

Ned

Thats right but if you have any problems with your connection it will mean a lot of walking up and down the stairs if you ever call tech support.

ned1
10-04-2007, 10:41
Hi,
Where will the modem be put, where the pc is (upstairs) or down stairs at the set top box position, also will the modem need a mains supply.
Thanks for all the help
Ned

Nikesh
10-04-2007, 10:47
Yep, the modem needs a mains supply. :)

ned1
15-04-2007, 20:20
Hi all,
VIP upgraded two days ago with V+ and modem (10meg) fitted no problems.
To save myself looking silly by ringing virgin, Could you tell me,
when I changed to 10meg, I had to re-activate my B/B with new password etc.
today I have just tried to update my website but have been unable to get a connection, could this be due to the fact that I have upgraded or do all the
addresses, links, web space, etc, stay the same.
:dozey:
Thanks
John