PDA

View Full Version : Moved into new flat - NTL have already been here...

mystik_al
09-04-2007, 18:46
OK - I moved into my new place and was going to get a bundle but in the end have decided to just get the broadband.

I looked on the wall inside and it appears NTL have already had a customer there (maybe the guy previous to me, I don't know). Anyway, there the phone point plus the cable box sitting there.

My question is this... According to the website I can organise an engineer to come round and install broadband for me. However that would take upwards of a week and I can't guarantee I'd be in when he turns up. The other option would be to sort it myself and have Virgin send me the stuff through the post and I plug things in and off we go. This apparently would be somewhere in the region of 72 hours.

Firstly - is all the above correct with regards to time frames and Virgin's ability to just send you stuff?
Secondly - would I be able to use the existing NTL box to connect to or would some new Virgin box have to be installed? In which case I would have to have an engineer round.

My hopes are that it's the same company and technology and so all I'd have to do is get them to flick the switch when I'm connected.

Thanks people.

MovedGoalPosts
09-04-2007, 19:04
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Just because there appears to be a cable point located in your home, doesn't mean it is connected at the street cabinet. An installer would check all that.

Self install of modems, sent to you by courier, is becoming an option in many VM areas. Dunno if they offer that to new customers or just existing ones.

mystik_al
09-04-2007, 20:01
Hi and thanks.

AH right, so it sounds like I'm going to have to get an engineer out to sort it then.

I went through the motions of 'buying' the broadband online the other day and it seems to be an option to me at least. It would make my life much easier.

I have tried to phone up Virgin to get some answers to my questions but after having waited for many minutes on hold I get put through to some disinterested person who just tells me to call customer services -despite the number I rang being for general enquiries.

Anyway, thanks again.