PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problem That I Cant Understand But May Have Solved

sitalchauhan
09-04-2007, 14:47
I am on 10Mb Virgin Media cable broadband, using a motorola SB4200 modem connected by ethernet with no router. My speeds are quite good, getting a high of 1075kbps using bittorrent.

You can read my whole story which explains it much better, or just skip down to my questions ;)

Every 3 days or so, the internet would go down for about 2/3 hours and then suddenly start up again without me doing anything. The modem would have a flashing online light but all of my digital tv channels would still work fine.
I eventually got fed up as it kept happening every few days and phoned up CS. I was told by an Indian guy that they were doing repairs in my area and it should be over soon. However, I doubted this very much as it had been happening so regularly.
I phoned again straight after hanging up and got through to an English guy who checked and said there was no maintenance in my area, did a few checks and then decided to send out an engineer to my house as he could find out why.

1hr later the engineer turned up at my door, very impresive :D
However, just my luck that the internet started working again only a couple of mins before he turned up!
He checked my signal levels and everything and said that everything seems to be working fine and there is nothing he can really do. I have a motorola SB4200 modem and asked if it needs to be replaced, but he said that they can handle 10mb without any problems and dont need to be replaced.

Couple of days later, internet went down again!
I remember the engineer mentioned briefly about changing the frequency to 331000000 instead of my currently set 339000000 , but said he didnt need to change it as everything seemed to be fine.

I changed the frequency to 331000000 through my config page, rebooted the modem and the internet worked fine!
I changed the freq back to 339000000 just to check and it still wasnt working, so switched back to 331000000 and it worked and have kept it on this new freq since.

So it has something to do with this frequency.

However, upon changing to the new frequency, my signal levels changed.

With the original 339000000Hz frequency, my signal levels were:
Signal to Noise Ratio : 38 dB
QAM : 256
Downstream Power Level : 1 dBmV
Upstream Power Level : 42 dBmV

With the new 331000000Hz frequency, my power levels changed and are now:
Downstream Power Level : 0 dBmV
Upstream Power Level : 52 dBmV

The upstream power level seems a bit high, but have not had any problems as of yet and am still getting good 10Mb speeds of 1000kbps+

1) Are there any other frequencies other than 339000000Hz and 331000000Hz that I could try?

2) Are my new power levels ok? The upstream seems a bit high but havnt had any problems yet. Is it worth me getting an engineer out to adjust the level?

3) Has anybody else had/heard of this sort of problem and explain what is causing it?

4) Can somebody explain how changing the frequency is making it work again, and what changing the frequency exactly does?

5) Are there any improvements in the new modems over the SB4200 that make it worth asking for the modem to be replaced?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I think I have solved the problem by changing the frequency, but like to understand why I needed to change the freq in the first place and what it does :D

Paul K
09-04-2007, 15:33
You do realise that you aren't supposed to be altering settings within the config don't you?

homealone
09-04-2007, 15:34
hi :welcome:

no answer to your questions, though, sorry, but this will bump it in the hope someone who does know is about ;)

Frankie-Gush
09-04-2007, 16:06
I had this problem with the same Motorolla Modem Last year, a few months after they rolled the 10meg out.

Engineer came out after i called CS, (just by coincidence he also came within 1 hr) :) Replaced the Modem to an NTL250 and everything has been working fine since.

sitalchauhan
09-04-2007, 21:18
Thats for the replies, seems to be a strange problem and nobody really knows what is going on :p:

If it happens again, I will just try and push for a new modem as it looks like it might solve this.

You do realise that you aren't supposed to be altering settings within the config don't you?

I saw somebody else post before that when they phoned CS with a similar problem, the guy on the phone told him to change his frequency, so I thought I would save the time on the phone and try it myself, and it worked...

Do they really mind that much if you change something in the config?

When the technitian came around the first time, I had the config page open to show him and showed him a couple of saved logs and he didnt say anything about me not supposed to be accessing the config page...

Oh and I forgot to say in my original post what was going on in the logs.
The following would just keep repeating. It would try attempt the DHCP thing 10 times and then the modem would just reboot and then retry again another 10 times, until eventually after a few hours it would just suddenly work:

************ 7-Information H501.2 HFC: Shutting Downstream Down
************ 7-Information H501.1 HFC: Shutting Upstream Down
************ 1-Emergency D520.0 DHCP Client unable to bind HFC interface.
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt#10 BkOff:12s Tot DSC:10 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 9 BkOff: 9s Tot DSC:9 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 8 BkOff:25s Tot DSC:8 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 7 BkOff:17s Tot DSC:7 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 6 BkOff:30s Tot DSC:6 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 5 BkOff: 4s Tot DSC:5 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 4 BkOff:10s Tot DSC:4 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 3 BkOff: 7s Tot DSC:3 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 2 BkOff: 7s Tot DSC:2 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 1 BkOff: 4s Tot DSC:1 OFF:0 REQ:0 ACK:0
************ 7-Information D0.0 DHCP CM Net Configuration download and Time of Day
************ 7-Information T500.0 Acquired Upstream .......... SUCCESS
************ 8-Debug T503.1 Acquire US with status OK, powerLevel 46, tempSid 2247
************ 8-Debug T505.0 Acquired Upstream with status OK
************ 7-Information T501.0 Acquired Downstream (339000000 Hz)........ SUCCESS
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status OK, DS Freq 339000000, US Id 1
************ 7-Information I510.0 *** BOOTING *** SB4200-0.4.4.2-SCM01-NOSH

Maybe somebody can figure out what is going on by looking at this log?

Thanks

beebeebob
09-04-2007, 21:47
i think that anything you do to fix things is ok as long as it can be undone