PDA

View Full Version : Assistance needed for New housing estate in a Cabled area.

Marcman
08-04-2007, 09:57
Hi All,

My first post here :) and i hope by no means the last.

Anywho,
I recently moved to a new housing developement and when checking the postcode did show as being in a Cabled Area. Seemed all good!

Moved away, what a nightmare, got into the the house to find out this house has not had a cable run to it, contacted NTL/Telewest at the time and all they said is they not doing new installations, i laughed as i explained i can see a house 120m from mine that has the cables to it.

None the less nothing happened.
So i am asking is there anything i can do to get V to run a cable to my house from 100m away, so i can get there services.

Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Marcman

Paul K
08-04-2007, 10:12
Not unless you pay for it I expect. If VM are not looking to expand the network in your area then you are stuffed for now. Do you have any little plates in the paving in front of your house marked for CATV etc? If not then your part of the estate has not been prepared so it's not just a case of running a bit of cable to you,

Marcman
08-04-2007, 11:00
Thanks for the reply.

I might not mind paying, well i suppose depends on how much.
I done a walk around the estate and the estate itself doesnt have CATV ducts access, only on the road 100m away.

:(

superbiatch
08-04-2007, 11:02
I was told a little while back that cable doesn't tend to be installed on new housing estates until the last home has been built for 2 years, not sure how true it is tho :dozey:

Paul K
08-04-2007, 11:32
If you have no ducts then you have no way of being installed at the moment. VM at some point will be looking to expand, you could always try their "off net" offering via freeview and telephone line.

maths15
09-04-2007, 08:01
Hi All,

My first post here :) and i hope by no means the last.

Anywho,
I recently moved to a new housing developement and when checking the postcode did show as being in a Cabled Area. Seemed all good!

Moved away, what a nightmare, got into the the house to find out this house has not had a cable run to it, contacted NTL/Telewest at the time and all they said is they not doing new installations, i laughed as i explained i can see a house 120m from mine that has the cables to it.

None the less nothing happened.
So i am asking is there anything i can do to get V to run a cable to my house from 100m away, so i can get there services.

Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Marcman

Why don't you ask the builders if you house was wired for cable? Our new build was wired to NTL's spec, not that the moran who came to install could understand it, had to get the site sparky in the phone to talk him through the wiring! If the answer is yes then you can assume that somewhere down the line cables will be laid